Windows 10: why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks?

Discus and support why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; basically my issue is that whenever i install a 8gb ram sticnk into my pc, it only registers as 4gb in installed, and a 4gb stick says 2gb installed,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by pepsiholic37, Apr 27, 2024.

1. why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks?

basically my issue is that whenever i install a 8gb ram sticnk into my pc, it only registers as 4gb in installed, and a 4gb stick says 2gb installed, so half of what it actually is. im running on an 64 operating system and when i insert both of the sticks it shows up as 6 together. any way i could fix that?

:)

pepsiholic37, Apr 27, 2024
  2. digdug Win User

Windows 10 only using half the installed RAM

Device name DESKTOP-AJD2UQS
    Processor AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor 4.10 GHz
    Installed RAM 64.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)
    Device ID
    Product ID
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 10 Pro
    Version 20H2
    Installed on ‎2021-‎03-‎15
    OS build 19042.631
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

My problem is in bold. Windows and the programs in windows can't use all RAM.
    I had an older installation of windows 10, version 1909 and it has the same issues as this new install from MS download to a formatted USB drive build version 20H2 on a new SSD.
    BIOS shows all 4 sticks of RAM and currently set to XMP profile 1. I've used different BIOS versions and RAM configuration settings with no change, except faster or slower performance.
    I've used memtest86 full test (which took ~14 hours to complete!) and zero errors on all 4 sticks of RAM.
    CPU-Z detects all RAM with the only difference being two were mfg. 1 week earlier than the other two.
    I found some other answers on this and other forums and tried their suggestions to no avail, which include:
    The MSConfig -> Boot -> Advanced -> Maximum Memory check box
    I've also put all 4 sticks into a gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro with an AMD 3700x with the same result, so it's not the processor, board, or BIOS.
    The current system is:
    Gigabyte AX-370-Gaming K7 BIOS F4
    AMD Ryzen 1800X

why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks? 322937d1615891456t-windows-10-only-using-half-installed-ram-cpuz1.jpg

why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks? 322938d1615891456t-windows-10-only-using-half-installed-ram-cpuz2.jpg

why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks? 322939d1615891456t-windows-10-only-using-half-installed-ram-cpuz3.jpg

why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks? 322940d1615891456t-windows-10-only-using-half-installed-ram-cpuz4.jpg

why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks? 322941d1615891456t-windows-10-only-using-half-installed-ram-cpuz5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Another post in this forum asked for someone with a similar problem to show a CMD WMIC query.
    why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks? 322951d1615892186t-windows-10-only-using-half-installed-ram-cpuz6.jpg

why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks? 322952d1615892196t-windows-10-only-using-half-installed-ram-cpuz7.jpg

why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks? 322953d1615892206t-windows-10-only-using-half-installed-ram-wmicram.jpg

digdug, Apr 27, 2024
  3. scottdeto Win User
    Half of RAM 'Hardware Reserved'

I have 32GB of RAM installed and half is "hardware reserved" by Windows. I've tried every suggestion I can find, including moving the modules around to different slots. My MB does not have onboard graphics. Specs:
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AX370M-DS3H (BIOS on latest firmware)
    • CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X (upgraded from 1700x and it didn't help)
    • RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C16 Memory Kit
    • GPU: Nvidia RTX-2060 Super
    The BIOS, Windows, CPUZ and HWInfo all show 32GB installed and both slots used, but Windows says "Hardware Reserved: 16.1GB". This was occurring on Windows 10. I am currently running Windows 11 (beta channel) and it didn't help. I also upgraded my CPU from a Ryzen 7 1700 with no change. Pics: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

scottdeto, Apr 27, 2024
  4. Chanu. Win User

why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks?

pc crashing with two ram sticks .

I have just tested my pc with individual ram sticks and it is crashing only with one particular ram stick, ill rma that and see if the issue still occurs,

Thank you for the help.

Chanu., Apr 27, 2024
Thema:

why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks?

1. why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks? - Similar Threads - why installing half

2. why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks?: basically my issue is that whenever i install a 8gb ram sticnk into my pc, it only registers as 4gb in installed, and a 4gb stick says 2gb installed, so half of what it actually is. im running on an 64 operating system and when i insert both of the sticks it shows up as 6...
  3. why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    why is my pc installing only half of the ram from the sticks?: basically my issue is that whenever i install a 8gb ram sticnk into my pc, it only registers as 4gb in installed, and a 4gb stick says 2gb installed, so half of what it actually is. im running on an 64 operating system and when i insert both of the sticks it shows up as 6...
  4. Why is only the half of my physical memory available? RAM

Why is only the half of my physical memory available? RAM: Hey, I have installed 16GB RAM, the entire RAM is 15,9GB but only 9,4GB is available. Is this "normal"? Picture is in german sorry https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-only-the-half-of-my-physical-memory/0b58de63-bbe5-4198-9cdb-d47fa456fa68
  5. Why is only the half of my physical memory available? RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is only the half of my physical memory available? RAM: Hey, I have installed 16GB RAM, the entire RAM is 15,9GB but only 9,4GB is available. Is this "normal"? Picture is in german sorry https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-only-the-half-of-my-physical-memory/0b58de63-bbe5-4198-9cdb-d47fa456fa68
  6. Why is only the half of my physical memory available? RAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Only Half Of My Ram is Usable.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Only Half Of My Ram is Usable.: So for Context, I have 32Gbs of ram installed on my PC and it only shows 16 Gbs as useable. It used to only have 16Gbs installed and only 8Gbs usable until I ordered more ram. I've tried and looked for the fix online but everyone just says make sure maximum memory is turned...
  8. Only half Ram available?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Only half Ram available?: Hello, in the PC information I am shown that I only have half of my ram available. I also notice in various games that the FPS start to fluctuate, I think this is also due to it. Does anyone know how I can fix this? CPU: Ryzen 7 1800x GPU: Radeon RX580 RAM: 16GB DDR4 Nur...
  9. Win10 only see half of ram installed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 only see half of ram installed: Hi I have a problem with my new build. Win10 only sees half of my ram installed. I have Corsair vengeance Rgb Pro 16gb installed but Win10 only says i have 8gb 7,95. Bios show all 16gb, Cpu-z show all 16gb and says they dual channel Corsair iCue sees both ram, and i...
  10. Why does my computer only read half of my RAM?!

Why does my computer only read half of my RAM?!: Hello. My computer displays that I have 8gb of ram. However, when I got the computer, it had 16. Are the ram cards fused or broken, or is it something to do with unactivated Win 10 Edu? Thanks for any help yall can provide. 74766