Windows 10: Microsoft Copilot app getting installed on Windows devices

Discus and support Microsoft Copilot app getting installed on Windows devices in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Last week, Microsoft revealed that it started to push its AI Microsoft Copilot to more Windows 10 and 11 devices. The feature, still in preview at the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 25, 2024.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft Copilot app getting installed on Windows devices

Last week, Microsoft revealed that it started to push its AI Microsoft Copilot to more Windows 10 and 11 devices. The feature, still in preview at the time of writing, shows up as an icon on the Windows taskbar.

The tool is enabled on Windows 11 version 23H2 devices by default and disabled on Windows 11 version 22H2 devices.

Eagle-eyed users over at Deskmodder discovered that Microsoft is also pushing the Microsoft Copilot application on Windows 11 devices. This new app does not power the actual Copilot functionality at this point, apparently.

A quick check on a test system did not reveal the app initially. It did appear, however, after Microsoft Edge was updated to the latest version on the system.

Microsoft Copilot app

Microsoft Copilot app getting installed on Windows devices microsoft-copilot-app.png

The best way to check if the app is installed is the following one:

1. Go to Settings > Apps > Installed Apps.
    2. Change the sort order to "Date installed" or type Copilot into the search field.
    3. If you see Microsoft Copilot listed, it is installed.

Note that you may use the uninstall option to remove it again from the system. A click on "advanced options" reveals some details. The app's version is 1.0.3.0 and the site is 0 bytes at the time.

This suggests that it is a placeholder app that has no functionality of its own at the time. Deskmodder dug even deeper and discovered that a few files were associated with the app, including app icons. It is unclear if the state depends on the user's region or if Microsoft is rolling out the placeholder app to all devices to update it at a later point in time.

Deskmodder also discovered that the application's AppxManifest.xml included another interesting tidbit. The manifest sets compatibility for the app among other things. The minimum version is listed Windows 10, but the maximum version is Windows 12.0.0.0.

Whether that is another indicator that Microsoft continues to work on Windows 12, or a leftover from a time when it considered releasing Windows 12, or something else entirely, is up for debate.

Closing Words

Microsoft did not announce the release of the Microsoft Copilot app. It made no mention of it. This means that we do not know anything about its functionality at the time.

It appears linked to Microsoft Edge, but this has not been confirmed either. This is not the first time that Microsoft is pushing new apps onto user devices without prior information.

The company installed the Google Docs Offline extension in Edge automatically in July 2023.

In September 2023, Microsoft installed the Backup app on Windows 10 Enterprise devices. In November of the same year, Microsoft installed the HP Smart app erroneously on user devices.

Meanwhile, work on improving Copilot's Windows management functionality continues. These allow users to interact with the AI to change or control certain Windows features. Problem is that this functionality does not run local. All requests go through Microsoft servers, where they are processed, before the answer is pushed to the user's device.

Now you: do you have the Microsoft Copilot app installed on your device?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft Copilot app getting installed on Windows devices appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 25, 2024
  2. Brink Win User

Microsoft plans to bring Copilot to Windows 10

Read more: Exclusive: Microsoft will update Windows 10 with new AI Copilot soon | Windows Central See also: Announcing Microsoft Copilot, your everyday AI companion | Windows 11 Forum

Brink, Mar 25, 2024
  3. Brink Win User
    Introducing the new Microsoft Copilot experience in Teams

Copilot for Microsoft 365 Blog: Starting today, Copilot for Microsoft 365 users will begin to see a new Copilot experience in Microsoft Teams. Heres what you need to know. What's the new Copilot experience in Teams? The new Copilot experience is an improved version of the Copilot app in Teams that you may have used before (formerly known as Microsoft 365 Chat). It offers the same functionality and content access as the current app, but with additional benefits, including:
    • Better prompts, including details specific to you like the people you work with, your meetings, and your files.
    • Ability to see your Copilot chat history
    • Access to a library of prompts via Copilot Lab
    Microsoft Copilot app getting installed on Windows devices large?v=v2&px=999.png
    An image of the Microsoft Copilot app in Teams, responding to a question based on the user's Graph data How is it different from the current experience in Teams? Its better than the current Microsoft 365 Chat in Teams. The new Copilot in Teams is easier to find, to use, and has better functionality for a better experience. This will give you the same Copilot experience in Teams as you get from microsoft365.com, Bing, and copilot.microsoft.com. What’s the difference between the Copilot app in the Teams app store and the Copilot pinned above chats? Theyre the same, and its up to you how youd like to use Copilot. The new Copilot app experience is an improved version of the previous M365 Chat app. If you still have Microsoft 365 Chat (or M365 Chat), this is the older version and we recommend unpinning. When will this be available? The new pinned Copilot app in Teams is rolling out now. Where can I find it and how do I get started? If you have a Copilot for Microsoft 365, the new app will be automatically pinned above your chats. Just open Teams, select chats and youll see Copilot. Open Copilot and start catching up, creating, and asking! Learn more. Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...s/ba-p/4055040

Brink, Mar 25, 2024
  4. Microsoft Copilot app getting installed on Windows devices

What is Copilot and How did it get on my PC?

Here you go:

https://www.itechtics.com/?dl_id=144

Group Policy Editor Link for W11 installation

Run as Administrator and allow to install

NB: MUST SELECT ENABLE first AS THIS ALLOWS APP TO TURN OFF THE PROGRAM

1. Open Local Group Policy Editor from the Windows search - type Gpedit.msc in the Run command and click icon

1. Navigate to the following folder in the Group Policy Editor window using the left panel:User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Copilot

1. On the right-side pane, double-click the 'Turn off Windows Copilot' policy.

1. Select 'Enabled' and click 'Apply' and then 'OK'. This allows the app to disable CoPilot

Click 'Disabled' then Apply to turn off CoPilot
    f

1. To re-enable Windows Copilot, follow the same steps and select 'Not configured' or 'Disabled'. Then, click 'Apply' and 'OK'.
    If the Copilot button is visible in the taskbar, it will disappear after you apply the policy. You do not need to restart your computer or enforce the Group Policies. The Copilot option will also disappear from the Settings app.

CarolynBurton2, Mar 25, 2024
Thema:

Microsoft Copilot app getting installed on Windows devices

1. Microsoft Copilot app getting installed on Windows devices - Similar Threads - Microsoft Copilot app

2. How to disable Copilot? MICROSOFT NEEDS TO STOP PUSHING APPS!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable Copilot? MICROSOFT NEEDS TO STOP PUSHING APPS!: So on top of that annoying OneDrive icon showing up in the folders directory that you can't remove, just now I updated my computer and it's now also got an annoying icon in the corner for a Copilot Preview. I want to remove this or disable this, but when I do a search on my...
  3. How to disable Copilot? MICROSOFT NEEDS TO STOP PUSHING APPS!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable Copilot? MICROSOFT NEEDS TO STOP PUSHING APPS!: So on top of that annoying OneDrive icon showing up in the folders directory that you can't remove, just now I updated my computer and it's now also got an annoying icon in the corner for a Copilot Preview. I want to remove this or disable this, but when I do a search on my...
  4. How do I get Windows Copilot instead of Microsoft Copilot on my Windows PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get Windows Copilot instead of Microsoft Copilot on my Windows PC?: I've noticed a couple of new icons on my Windows 11 PC:Seems that these should be Windows Copilot. Hovering over the icon in the search box pops up "Search - Microsoft Copilot":Hovering over the Copilot icon with "pre" says "Copilot preview":Searching in the search box gives...
  5. How do I get Windows Copilot instead of Microsoft Copilot on my Windows PC?

How do I get Windows Copilot instead of Microsoft Copilot on my Windows PC?: I've noticed a couple of new icons on my Windows 11 PC:Seems that these should be Windows Copilot. Hovering over the icon in the search box pops up "Search - Microsoft Copilot":Hovering over the Copilot icon with "pre" says "Copilot preview":Searching in the search box gives...
  6. How to install Copilot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install Copilot: Hi,I would like to know how to install Copilot. Can you help me with this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-install-copilot/0c29ad5f-c36e-4605-ba56-2c5958359a0c
  7. How to install Copilot

How to install Copilot: Hi,I would like to know how to install Copilot. Can you help me with this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-install-copilot/0c29ad5f-c36e-4605-ba56-2c5958359a0c
  8. How can I install The microsoft copilot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I install The microsoft copilot: guys, kindly advise me on how to install microsoft copilot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-install-the-microsoft-copilot/719d4001-4342-4606-bd9f-5844eb3abbc6
  9. How can I install The microsoft copilot

How can I install The microsoft copilot: guys, kindly advise me on how to install microsoft copilot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-install-the-microsoft-copilot/719d4001-4342-4606-bd9f-5844eb3abbc6
  10. Can not install Microsoft app on my linked device.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can not install Microsoft app on my linked device.: Can not install Microsoft app on my linked device. I can see that my device is linked to my account. I am getting message below. what am i missing? [IMG]...