Windows 10: Intel: Microsoft AI PCs need a Copilot Key

Discus and support Intel: Microsoft AI PCs need a Copilot Key in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft hopes that 2024 will be the year that so-called AI PCs will take off. Tidbits and rumors about this new breed of PCs are found everywhere,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 28, 2024.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Intel: Microsoft AI PCs need a Copilot Key

Microsoft hopes that 2024 will be the year that so-called AI PCs will take off. Tidbits and rumors about this new breed of PCs are found everywhere, but Microsoft itself has been tight lipped when it comes to requirements.

Intel has now published Microsoft's requirements for an AI PC. It was clear from the start that AI PCs require a neural processing unit (NPU) and modern CPU and GPU silicon. Intel says that for a PC to be called AI PC, it needs to meet two additional requirements: it needs Copilot and also the Copilot key.

Intel: Microsoft AI PCs need a Copilot Key Intel-AI-PCs-requirements.jpg

While it was clear that Copilot plays a role on AI PCs, as it is makes the core of Microsoft's artificial intelligence strategy, it may come as a surprise that the dedicated Copilot key on the keyboard is also a requirement.

Microsoft announced the Copilot key in early 2024. It is a dedicated key on the keyboard that activates Copilot functionality when used. The key's full functionality is unknown at this point, but it seems likely that it is going to bring Copilot's interface to the front when activated. The introduction of the key is the first major change to Windows keyboards in almost 30 years. The last addition was the Windows key.

Back then, Microsoft said that the Copilot key was optional. That manufacturers could select a position for it on the keyboard or skip it altogether. Now, it appears, that AI PCs at the least require this key, at least according to Intel.

These requirements mean that some laptops and PCs cannot be called AI PCs even though they come with a dedicated NPU and Intel's latest Core Ultra silicon. One example of such a laptop is ASUS' new ROG Zephyrus, which has a dedicated NPU but no Copilot key on the keyboard.

It is unclear at this point whether non-AI PCs will be at a disadvantage when Microsoft launches the next version of Windows 11. It is expected to turn regular Windows 11 systems into AI PCs. How much of that is marketing remains to be seen. It is possible that manufacturers may not advertise their products as AI PCs, if they lack one of the requirements. Functionality-wise, it is possible that Windows provides full AI functionality if the PC has a NPU and modern silicon.

The NPU requirement could hint at local processing. Currently, all interactions with Copilot require an Internet connection. User data, e.g., the text that you type, is submitted to Microsoft servers. It is processed there and then returned. That's costly and also bad for performance, as it may take a couple of seconds before replies appear on the user's screen. Local processing could finally make the Windows-specific Copilot options useful, as they would speed up these significantly.

Most manufacturers will likely jump on the AI PC bandwagon eventually. This means that most PCs that will be released will have the dedicated Copilot key on the keyboard.

Microsoft pushed a dedicated Copilot app recently on Windows devices. The purpose of the app is unclear, as it is a placeholder app for the moment.

Now You: have you tried Copilot? What's your take on it? (via The Verge)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Intel: Microsoft AI PCs need a Copilot Key appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 28, 2024
  2. Brink Win User

Microsoft plans to bring Copilot to Windows 10

Read more: Exclusive: Microsoft will update Windows 10 with new AI Copilot soon | Windows Central See also: Announcing Microsoft Copilot, your everyday AI companion | Windows 11 Forum

Brink, Mar 28, 2024
  3. Brink Win User
    Microsoft 365 Copilot is coming to OneNote

Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...t/ba-p/3788442

Brink, Mar 28, 2024
  4. Intel: Microsoft AI PCs need a Copilot Key

How do I disable Copilot and all Other AI functionality in Windows 11 HOME edition

I want to fully disable (or preferably remove) Copilot and all other AI functionality in Windows 11 Home Edition. This question may belong under another topic; I just guessed at Settings.

See the bottom of this post for system information. Below are specific questions related to the details of disabling Copilot and AI functionality. I have not been able to find any of this information on any Microsoft resources; perhaps I missed something?.

• Disabling Copilot in Windows 11 Home Edition: Please note that I am running Windows 11 Home edition - not Pro, Enterprise, etc., where I could solve the problem with group policies or other administrative options. The Windows Update setting "Get the latest updates" is turned on, so I am running Copilot Preview.

• Copilot Taskbar Button: I have hidden Copilot on the taskbar, but that is obviously not the same as disabling Copilot or other AI functionality.

• Disabling Copilot via Registry: There are instructions on various websites for disabling Copilot by editing the registry; I would appreciate details about how to do that, as long as the necessary edits are reasonably safe and reliable.

• Disabling all AI functionality: How centralized is AI functionality in Windows 11? Does disabling Copilot disable AI functionality across all Windows 11 built-in features, as well as Microsoft desktop apps? Or has AI metastasized across the entire Windows ecosystem, requiring a constant game of whack-a-mole to disable everywhere?

Thanks in advance for any help.

- Laura

Windows System Information:

Edition Windows 11 Home

Version 22H2

OS build OS Build 22621.2361 Preview (KB5030310)

LChalifoux, Mar 28, 2024
Thema:

Intel: Microsoft AI PCs need a Copilot Key

1. Intel: Microsoft AI PCs need a Copilot Key - Similar Threads - Intel Microsoft PCs

2. I need to remove copilot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need to remove copilot: After updating my Windows 10 laptop I don't have a fully working trackpad as Copilot is interfering with it, so I really need to find a way to remove or disable it? Nearly every other Windows update breaks something on either my laptop or my gaming PCs, it's gotten so bad I...
  3. I need to remove copilot

in Windows 10 Customization
    I need to remove copilot: After updating my Windows 10 laptop I don't have a fully working trackpad as Copilot is interfering with it, so I really need to find a way to remove or disable it? Nearly every other Windows update breaks something on either my laptop or my gaming PCs, it's gotten so bad I...
  4. Copilot Key ON Keyboards

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copilot Key ON Keyboards: Microsoft’s new Copilot key is the first big change to Windows keyboards in 30 yearsStory by Tom WarrenCredit:Cheers,DrewPS: 2024 is an exciting year for Windows......
  5. Copilot Key ON Keyboards

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copilot Key ON Keyboards: Microsoft’s new Copilot key is the first big change to Windows keyboards in 30 yearsStory by Tom WarrenCredit:Cheers,DrewPS: 2024 is an exciting year for Windows......
  6. Microsoft Edge gets ChatGPT-powered AI Copilot on Windows 11, Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge gets ChatGPT-powered AI Copilot on Windows 11, Windows 10: Microsoft Edge already has a ChatGPT-powered Bing AI sidebar, allowing you to ask Bing anything as you usually do on Bing.com. The Bing integration is limited to Bing.com and ChatGPT, but this could change soon as Microsoft is rolling out a new server-side update that turns...
  7. Watch 2019 Intel AI Summit

in Windows 10 News
    Watch 2019 Intel AI Summit: Intel hosts its 2019 Intel AI Summit on Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2019, in San Francisco. Tune in to the livestream to hear from Naveen Rao, Intel corporate vice president and general manager of the Intel Artificial Intelligence Products Group, as he shares significant product...
  8. Intel and Microsoft developing standards for dual-screen Windows PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Intel and Microsoft developing standards for dual-screen Windows PCs: Microsoft’s Surface Centaurus has already been seen in many patents, and multiple reports have revealed in the past that the firm is working on a revolutionary 2-in-1 device. Microsoft is expected to apply the same strategy to the dual-screen device that the company used for...
  9. Intel & Microsoft Enable AI Inference at Edge with Intel Movidius VDU

in Windows 10 News
    Intel & Microsoft Enable AI Inference at Edge with Intel Movidius VDU: Today during Windows Developer Day, Microsoft announced Windows* ML, which enables developers to perform machine learning tasks in the Windows OS. Windows ML efficiently uses hardware for any given artificial intelligence (AI) workload and intelligently distributes work...
  10. Intel launched the Intel AI Builders Program

in Windows 10 News
    Intel launched the Intel AI Builders Program: What’s New: Today at the AI O’Reilly NYC Conference, Intel launched the Intel AI Builders Program to provide partners implementing artificial intelligence (AI), with the resources and support they need to accelerate the adoption of their Intel-based AI platforms. “The Intel...