Windows 10: How to launch the old Task Manager in Windows 11

Discus and support How to launch the old Task Manager in Windows 11 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft launched a redesign of Windows 11's Task Manager some time ago. The new task manager has a different design but also functional differences.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 26, 2024.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to launch the old Task Manager in Windows 11

Microsoft launched a redesign of Windows 11's Task Manager some time ago. The new task manager has a different design but also functional differences. Microsoft removed the -- rather useless -- basic mode, added dark mode support, and removed the classic menu bar.

Regardless of the method that you use to open the Windows Task Manager, the new Task Manager opens after Windows 11 version 22H2 is installed on the device.

If you prefer the classic Windows Task Manager, you may be surprised to hear that you can still launch it on recent versions of Windows 11. X user Albacore revealed this recently on the social messaging site.

How to launch the classic Task Manager in Windows 11

How to launch the old Task Manager in Windows 11 windows-11-classic-task-manager.png

Microsoft never removed the classic Task Manager from Windows 11. It is still available. All that is required is to run the Task Manager with a special command to launch the classic one.

Here is how you do that:

1. Use the keyboard shortcut Windows-R to launch the run box.
    2. Type taskmgr -d and press the Enter-key.

Windows launches the classic Task Manager. Note that the current Task Manager needs to be closed for the classic one to launch. This is the only requirement though.

Tip: you can create a shortcut that launches the classic Task Manager.

How to launch the old Task Manager in Windows 11 classic-task-manager-shortcut.png

Here is how that is done:

1. Right-click on a blank spot on the desktop and select New > Shortcut.
    2. Type taskmgr.exe -d in the location field of the Create Shortcut window.
    3. Select Next.
    4. Pick a name for the shortcut, e.g. Task Manager.

You can now launch the classic Task Manager using the shortcut.

The classic Task Manager features the menu bar at the top. It uses tabs instead of a sidebar for the sections. If you have used the new Task Manager, you may notice that some features are missing.

The recently added search functionality is missing. It lacks Dark Mode support and the new keyboard shortcuts are also not supported.

Closing Words

It comes down to personal preferences. If you prefer the classic Task Manager, you may load it using the -d parameter. Add it as a shortcut on the desktop and you can launch it with a double-click on the shortcut.

There is no guarantee that this method will work in the future. Microsoft might remove code that could prevent the launching of the classic Task Manager on Windows devices.

Now You: do you use the Windows Task Manager?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to launch the old Task Manager in Windows 11 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 26, 2024
  2. imanalien Win User

No restart button in task manager

another easy way to kill tasks, download and install Winaero Tweaker(free) and theres a setting to add a Kill non responding tasks using the desktop right click menu. When you place your cursor on the desktop anywhere and right click the option is at the top of the list, Very handy and you dont have to go through all those steps and well Winaero Tweaker has alot of cool Windows tweaks. Just posting a different suggestion, Im sure your ok with what was suggested here.

imanalien, Mar 26, 2024
  3. how do you re-enable task manager on windows 11

Sure, here are the steps on how to re-enable Task Manager on Windows 11:

1. Open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R.
    2. Type "gpedit.msc" and press Enter.
    3. Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Ctrl+Alt+Del Options.
    4. In the right pane, double-click on "Remove Task Manager".
    5. In the "Remove Task Manager" dialog box, select "Disabled" and click OK.
    6. Close the Group Policy Editor.
    7. Open a command prompt as administrator.
    8. Type the following command and press Enter:

attrib +h "%windir%\system32\taskmgr.exe"
    9. Restart your computer.
    After following these steps, Task Manager will be re-enabled. You can now open it by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Esc.

falvernook09, Mar 26, 2024
  4. How to launch the old Task Manager in Windows 11

Windows 8 task manager 32 Bit?

I haven't used Windows 8 so, I don't know if this will work...

To explicitly launch 64-bit task manager, try calling it here:
    C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe

32-bit is here:
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\taskmgr.exe

Microsoft could have easily goofed and linked to the wrong one.

FordGT90Concept, Mar 26, 2024
Thema:

How to launch the old Task Manager in Windows 11

1. How to launch the old Task Manager in Windows 11 - Similar Threads - launch old Task

2. Task Manager crashing right after launching it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Manager crashing right after launching it: I am working on a Dell Optiplex 7040 for a friend. The task manager crashes when trying to launch it. It only works in safe mode. I have run sfc scan, DISM commands and just completed a fresh install from the cloud. What is causing this to happen? What else can I try?...
  3. Task Manager crashing right after launching it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager crashing right after launching it: I am working on a Dell Optiplex 7040 for a friend. The task manager crashes when trying to launch it. It only works in safe mode. I have run sfc scan, DISM commands and just completed a fresh install from the cloud. What is causing this to happen? What else can I try?...
  4. Task Manager crashing right after launching it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Task Manager not updating in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Task Manager not updating in Windows 11: [IMG]Some users have reported that Task Manager is not updating on their Windows 11/10 computers. When one launches an app, the current resource consumed by it should be reflected in the Task Manager. But in some cases, Task Manager just fails to update any activity. In this...
  6. How to open the task manager in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to open the task manager in Windows 11: Modern operating systems are like icebergs. Windows 11 is no different. The tools and utilities that most people use on a daily basis are the tip of the iceberg. These would be all your conventional apps like Settings, your web browser of choice, and any other apps that...
  7. Task Manager not working in Windows 11

Task Manager not working in Windows 11: The Task Manager on my Laptop suddenly stopped working. I have a Dell Inspiron7506 2n1 running the latest version of Windows 10.CPU speed indicates 100 % used even though no programs are running. When I switch the Performance Tab the application hangs up.I reinstalled Windows...
  8. Task Manager issues Windows 11

Task Manager issues Windows 11: Hi All,My task manager, when opening, shows 100% CPU on the top but all jobs and apps running show 0%. When I click on the Performance tab the task manager crashes. You can also hear the fans of the laptop going on when I open Task Manager and I haven't even opened any apps...
  9. Task Manager (NEW vs. OLD)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task Manager (NEW vs. OLD): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Default_Cube4646 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jkw57n/task_manager_new_vs_old/
  10. CTRL+SHIFT+ESC not launching task manager!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CTRL+SHIFT+ESC not launching task manager!: As stated, I couldn't launch task manager using the shortcut. It launches and closes almost instantly! Along with this, some more issues have popped up which didn't exist before Fn+Up arrow key can be used to increase brightness, but it stopped working. But Fn+Down arrow...