Windows 10: Windows Security keeps prompting me to send steamnetworkingsockets.dll for sampling.

Discus and support Windows Security keeps prompting me to send steamnetworkingsockets.dll for sampling. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm assuming this is a false positive from Steam. Can I just ignore this? submitted by /u/Ryanjtombs [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Ryanjtombs, May 3, 2020.

1. Windows Security keeps prompting me to send steamnetworkingsockets.dll for sampling.

I'm assuming this is a false positive from Steam. Can I just ignore this?

submitted by /u/Ryanjtombs
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Ryanjtombs, May 3, 2020
  2. ARC1020 Win User

WD keeps asking for sending Grim Dawn executable

I don't know the answer to your question, however this post is just to confirm that it's not just you it's happening to, but I have also experienced this.

As mentioned in post No.2, maybe enabling 'Automatic Sample Submission' will work as a temporary solution. You can also add specific processes to an exclusion list from the same settings screen, but that's not something I would recommend doing.

I do not know the criteria that Windows Defender uses to send a sample submission to Microsoft, the file I've just tested it with (not Grim Dawn) is code signed and Defender still wants to send a sample of the EXE to Microsoft, but I don't know whether it's just because it's a new executable and it's standard practice for them to get samples of all new exe's, or whether there's something the exe does that doesn't conform to some sort of best practices.

However, I think there could be a genuine fault with Windows Defender in this case. Ordinarily, if you have 'Automatic Sample Submission' switched off, Windows Defender will ask you whether you want to review or send a sample to Microsoft (as per the below notification). After that first time, even if you re-download the exact same file from the same location it doesn't normally ask again, so ordinarily it remembers the file and that it's asked you.

Windows Security keeps prompting me to send steamnetworkingsockets.dll for sampling. [​IMG]

However, with the file I just tested (where it keeps asking to submit the same EXE sample to Microsoft), I found that the notification changed after the first notification and it no longer has the 'Send Files' or 'Review' buttons. Also if you click on either the notification itself or in the Action Centre, the notifications just disappears and no longer displays the separate 'review files' window. When you re-boot, the notification comes back again. After about 4-5 reboots it seems to have stopped asking now, so maybe it will stop for you too on it's own accord.

Update to original post: It initially stopped asking after 4-5 reboots, but the problem later returned. Therefore ignore that part.

Windows Security keeps prompting me to send steamnetworkingsockets.dll for sampling. [​IMG]

ARC1020, May 3, 2020
  3. How do I stop sending antivirus samples to Microsoft?

Now, debating the reasons I don't want this happening goes beyond the scope of this post (actually asking for them probably goes beyond this post). This post is simply about how to stop sending antivirus samples to Microsoft.

You might want to have a look at this Windows IT Pro Center document:

Enable cloud-delivered protection in Windows Defender Antivirus - Windows security

And also the documentation for:

-SubmitSamplesConsent

Specifies how Windows Defender checks for user consent for certain samples. If consent has previously been granted, Windows Defender submits the samples. Otherwise, if the
    MAPSReporting parameter does not have a value of Disabled, Windows Defender prompts the user for consent. The acceptable values for this parameter are:

• 0: Always prompt
    • 1: Send safe samples automatically
    • 2: Never send
    • 3: Send all samples automatically

-MAPSReporting

Specifies the type of membership in Microsoft Active Protection Service. Microsoft Active Protection Service is an online community that helps you choose how to respond to potential threats. The community also helps prevent
    the spread of new malicious software. The acceptable values for this parameter are:

• 0: Disabled. Send no information to Microsoft. This is the default value.
    • 1: Basic membership. Send basic information to Microsoft about detected software, including where the software came from, the actions that you apply or that apply automatically, and whether the actions succeeded.
    • 2: Advanced membership. In addition to basic information, send more information to Microsoft about malicious software, spyware, and potentially unwanted software, including the location of the software, file names, how the
      software operates, and how it affects your computer.

Set-MpPreference (defender)

But note that if you specify a value of 3 for the -SubmitSamplesConsent parameter, it will be rejected by the PowerShell interpreter:

Windows Security keeps prompting me to send steamnetworkingsockets.dll for sampling. 797a79c0-ac71-4b30-9024-7e2ba850fca0?upload=true.png

The bug report for the issue is here; and I see that they’ve now corrected that reference to
    Set-MpPreference -SubmitSamplesConsent 3 in the document cited above (without any acknowledgement, of course), but they obviously still haven’t corrected the documentation for the Set-MpPreference cmdlet:

Feedback Hub - Windows Insider

Other issues with the Set-MpPreference documentation:

Reversed truth values for settings with a Disable prefix:

https://aka.ms/Rde0ff

Incorrect enabled setting for Scanning Network Files:

https://aka.ms/Yrvikb

GreginMich, May 3, 2020
  4. Windows Security keeps prompting me to send steamnetworkingsockets.dll for sampling.

msxml4.dll error message

Hi,

There are many possible reasons why this issue is happening. Let's try to register Msxml4.dll to help resolve the issue, follow the steps below:

• Press and hold Windows key + X, then select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • If prompted with permission dialog box, click Yes.
    • Type regsvr32 /u msxml4.dll, then press
      Enter
      . This will un-register your file.
    • Type regsvr32 /i msxml4.dll, then press Enter. This will re-register your file.
    • Close Command Prompt.
    • Restart the program associated with the msxml4.dll error.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, May 3, 2020
Thema:

Windows Security keeps prompting me to send steamnetworkingsockets.dll for sampling.

1. Windows Security keeps prompting me to send steamnetworkingsockets.dll for sampling. - Similar Threads - Security keeps prompting

2. windows security keeps sending me a notification

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows security keeps sending me a notification: the notifcation is about about firewall being turned off even when it's actually on and this everytime i start windowsfor some reason it comes back when i restart explorer on task manager thoughcan't upload a screenshot for some reason so i'll quote it instead:Windows...
  3. windows security keeps sending me a notification

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows security keeps sending me a notification: the notifcation is about about firewall being turned off even when it's actually on and this everytime i start windowsfor some reason it comes back when i restart explorer on task manager thoughcan't upload a screenshot for some reason so i'll quote it instead:Windows...
  4. windows security keeps sending me a notification

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why does Windows 10 Security keep sending me incorrect notifications?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows 10 Security keep sending me incorrect notifications?: I have Microsoft antivirus and firewall turned off since I have ZoneAlarm Extreme Security and Malwarebytes installed, which provide all my security including firewall.Windows is constantly notifying me that anti-virus and firewall are turned off.When I look at Windows...
  6. Why does Windows 10 Security keep sending me incorrect notifications?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Windows 10 Security keep sending me incorrect notifications?: I have Microsoft antivirus and firewall turned off since I have ZoneAlarm Extreme Security and Malwarebytes installed, which provide all my security including firewall.Windows is constantly notifying me that anti-virus and firewall are turned off.When I look at Windows...
  7. Why does Windows 10 Security keep sending me incorrect notifications?

8. Windows Security keeps 'warning' me that cloud-delivered protection and automatic sample...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Security keeps 'warning' me that cloud-delivered protection and automatic sample...: No matter how many times I click 'Dismiss' or manually go into the settings and dismiss it there, the security icon keeps bugging me with a yellow warning icon that my cloud-delivered protection is off, and that automatic sample submission is off. I do not wish to turn these...
  9. Windows Security Automatic Sample Submission

Windows Security Automatic Sample Submission: Even though I am logged in as Admin, I can't enable automatic sample submission. It says that it is managed by your administrator! [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-security-automatic-sample-submission/c0c9dc69-bee7-4782-b57b-e2a4e1dc30b3
  10. [Windows Security] Automatic Sample Submission

[Windows Security] Automatic Sample Submission: Countless times I get this security notification [ATTACH] And countless times I choose "Dismiss". How can I stop this notification, short of "Turn on" automatic sample submission? 141715