Windows 10: windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos

Discus and support windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Why hasn't MS fixed this issue? If I shoot a photo vertically top to bottom, and view it in MS Photos, Win 11, it will AUTO ROTATE sideways. This has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Anthony Acero, Mar 28, 2023.

1. windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos

Why hasn't MS fixed this issue? If I shoot a photo vertically top to bottom, and view it in MS Photos, Win 11, it will AUTO ROTATE sideways. This has nothing to do with screen display or monitor angles. I've updated everything.I've installed RAW Image Ext and nothing works. Google-ing this issue, it has been going on for a very long time. After reading past complaints about this issue on the community board, it seems that tech support acts ignorant to the description so that user gets frustrated and disregards.

:)

Anthony Acero, Mar 28, 2023
  2. AlexJamo Win User

Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files to landscape

Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files

Lately whenever I open a raw file (CR2) in Photos it flips it from portrait to landscape and I can't flip it back. It I try to use the rotate feature, it says this can't be applied to RAW files. I've reset the app, uninstalled it etc and nothing works.

Has anyone seen this?

The Frustrating part is it initially recognises the photo as Portrait but then applies a preset and rotates the file. (Landscape images do not rotate)

Current OS Windows 11 Version 21H2 (OS Build 22000.434)

Photos Version 2021.21120.8011.0

Previously this was a problem here:

Windows 10 (1809, build 17763.404)

Photos version 2019.19021.18010.0

AlexJamo, Mar 28, 2023
  3. Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files

Lately whenever I open a raw file (CR2) in Photos it flips it from portrait to landscape and I can't flip it back. It I try to use the rotate feature, it says this can't be applied to RAW files. I've reset the app, uninstalled it etc and nothing works.

Has anyone seen this?

Windows 10 (1809, build 17763.404)

Photos version 2019.19021.18010.0

Andy Bertaut, Mar 28, 2023
  4. windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos

Windows 11 Photos app is rotating raw images by itself

I'm using Windows 11 22H2 (Build 22621.819) and handle photo raw images (Canon .CR2 format)

Opening a folder with Windows Explorer, all CR2 images are shown with correct orientation.

Doubleclicking on one image (no matter which one) the app Photos (2022.31100.24013.0) opens and displays the selected picture.

Like a miracle: after 1-2 seconds all images with portrait orientation in this folder are rotated automatically into landscape and there is no way to undo this.

The change in orientation is written into the .CR2 file - incredible !

When I look into that folder with Adobe Lightroom the images are rotated there too and part of my Lightroom work with these images is destroyed.

btw: jpg files are not affected

So to prevent destruction of raw photo material the app Photos is unusable currently.

*** moved to english Community ***

Hans_Berger, Mar 28, 2023
Thema:

windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos

1. windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos - Similar Threads - photos app auto

2. windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos: Why hasn't MS fixed this issue? If I shoot a photo vertically top to bottom, and view it in MS Photos, Win 11, it will AUTO ROTATE sideways. This has nothing to do with screen display or monitor angles. I've updated everything.I've installed RAW Image Ext and nothing works....
  3. Photos auto rotating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos auto rotating: Hi,All I am trying to do is view photos in my finder. These are portrait orientation, yet anytime they open up within the viewer they are automatically switched over to landscape orientation. I have read so many forums that have yet to give a clear answer so I'd love for a...
  4. Photos auto rotating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos auto rotating: Hi,All I am trying to do is view photos in my finder. These are portrait orientation, yet anytime they open up within the viewer they are automatically switched over to landscape orientation. I have read so many forums that have yet to give a clear answer so I'd love for a...
  5. Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files to landscape

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files to landscape: Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW filesLately whenever I open a raw file CR2 in Photos it flips it from portrait to landscape and I can't flip it back. It I try to use the rotate feature, it says this can't be applied to RAW files. I've reset the app, uninstalled it etc...
  6. Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files to landscape

Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files to landscape: Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW filesLately whenever I open a raw file CR2 in Photos it flips it from portrait to landscape and I can't flip it back. It I try to use the rotate feature, it says this can't be applied to RAW files. I've reset the app, uninstalled it etc...
  7. auto rotating photos

in Windows 10 Customization
    auto rotating photos: After saving and closing excel, photos are auto rotating. How can this be stopped? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-rotating-photos/e9fdfbed-8d86-407a-b178-a2daaab1beee
  8. Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files: Lately whenever I open a raw file (CR2) in Photos it flips it from portrait to landscape and I can't flip it back. It I try to use the rotate feature, it says this can't be applied to RAW files. I've reset the app, uninstalled it etc and nothing works. Has anyone seen this?...
  9. Auto Rotate in Photos App

Auto Rotate in Photos App: Every time I open portrait oriented photos with the Photos app, it automatically rotates the photo to landscape. When I try to rotate it back to its original portrait orientation, it flips it upside down no matter how many times I try. I then attempt to open the same photo...
  10. Auto Photo Rotation

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto Photo Rotation: W10 Hp 17" Envy Laptop. Took some photos yesterday on my Panasonic camera, downloaded them via SDHC card but for some reason they are being auto rotated to 90deg from the vertical both in landscape and portrait. This is in viewer and my photo editing programme. Even...