Windows 10: Windows is still changing my default app choices.

Discus and support Windows is still changing my default app choices. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Working in Windows 10 with Office 2016. Windows is still forcing me to use the default apps it chooses, for PDFs and for Photos. It isn't only when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by realjanisian, Jul 24, 2024.

1. Windows is still changing my default app choices.

Working in Windows 10 with Office 2016. Windows is still forcing me to use the default apps it chooses, for PDFs and for Photos. It isn't only when I reboot; it's constant. I really do not like the Windows Photo apps or opening my PDFs with Edge, which has some of the worst visuals they've ever issued. However, I'm very tired of having to go into Settings/default and change them back every single time. Especially since when MS brings up the huge list of apps so I can change my PDF choice, there's no way to search for PDF - I have to scroll down.I know this might not sound like a big issue bu

:)

realjanisian, Jul 24, 2024
  2. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

Windows is still changing my default app choices. 274247d1586781472t-how-change-default-app-file-type-image.png

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

Windows is still changing my default app choices. 274248d1586782515t-how-change-default-app-file-type-screenshot-4-.png

3. Victek Win User
    Problem with Outlook 2016 not remembering default PDF app choice

Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder though if the issue actually has anything to do with the Adobe Reader? When I first observed the problem Edge was showing as the default PDF reader in Outlook's drop down list. It was possible to select Adobe Reader from the list, but even though we put a check in the box for Outlook to remember the choice it didn't. After setting the Adobe Reader as the default in Control Panel/Default Programs/ the icon on PDF files changed to the Adobe Reader icon and it replaced Edge as the first app in Outlook's drop down list, however Outlook continues to ask and doesn't save the choice.

One thing I wanted to try was repairing Microsoft Office, but strangely there is no entry in Programs and Features. I wonder if there's a way to run the repair from the command line?

Victek, Jul 24, 2024
  4. Steve C Win User

Windows is still changing my default app choices.

Default app by file choice.

That's the functionality which should be part of Windows!

Steve C, Jul 24, 2024
Thema:

Windows is still changing my default app choices.

1. Windows is still changing my default app choices. - Similar Threads - still changing default

2. Windows is still changing my default app choices.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is still changing my default app choices.: Working in Windows 10 with Office 2016. Windows is still forcing me to use the default apps it chooses, for PDFs and for Photos. It isn't only when I reboot; it's constant. I really do not like the Windows Photo apps or opening my PDFs with Edge, which has some of the worst...
  3. Windows is still changing my default app choices.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows is still changing my default app choices.: Working in Windows 10 with Office 2016. Windows is still forcing me to use the default apps it chooses, for PDFs and for Photos. It isn't only when I reboot; it's constant. I really do not like the Windows Photo apps or opening my PDFs with Edge, which has some of the worst...
  4. Default authentication choice of Windows Security-Hello for apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default authentication choice of Windows Security-Hello for apps: Reposting Julio Colino question from June 16, 2023 since his thread is locked.Hello,Every time I need to access an app via Okta or via Edge, I would like that Windows Security-Hello ask me for the last log-in choice or by default by the Face choice.Instead, Windows always...
  5. Default authentication choice of Windows Security-Hello for apps

Default authentication choice of Windows Security-Hello for apps: Reposting Julio Colino question from June 16, 2023 since his thread is locked.Hello,Every time I need to access an app via Okta or via Edge, I would like that Windows Security-Hello ask me for the last log-in choice or by default by the Face choice.Instead, Windows always...
  6. Default authentication choice of Windows Security-Hello for apps

Default authentication choice of Windows Security-Hello for apps: Hello,Every time I need to access an app via Okta or via Edge, I would like that Windows Security-Hello ask me for the last log-in choice or by default by the Face choice.Instead, Windows always asks me for the Fingerprint and it is really annoying having always to select...
  7. Default authentication choice of Windows Security-Hello for apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default authentication choice of Windows Security-Hello for apps: Hello,Every time I need to access an app via Okta or via Edge, I would like that Windows Security-Hello ask me for the last log-in choice or by default by the Face choice.Instead, Windows always asks me for the Fingerprint and it is really annoying having always to select...
  8. How to set a default app to prompt for a choice?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set a default app to prompt for a choice?: I would like to set the default for a file type to prompt me to choose which app I want to use. I have two apps that use the same file type and want the ability to choose between them on the fly. How do I do this? I also have a problem that the file type .ris does not show up...
  9. How to set a default app to prompt for a choice?

How to set a default app to prompt for a choice?: I would like to set the default for a file type to prompt me to choose which app I want to use. I have two apps that use the same file type and want the ability to choose between them on the fly. How do I do this? I also have a problem that the file type .ris does not show up...
  10. How to set a default app to prompt for a choice?

in Windows 10 Customization