Windows 10: Windows Explorer takes up 40-50% CPU usage

Discus and support Windows Explorer takes up 40-50% CPU usage in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I have this problem where after some hours of use (~3, for example) the windows explorer takes up 40-50% of the CPU causing major performance... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Argyris Patikos, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Windows Explorer takes up 40-50% CPU usage

Hello,
    I have this problem where after some hours of use (~3, for example) the windows explorer takes up 40-50% of the CPU causing major performance loss. I do not know what is causing this problem, as it does have to do with my activity, since when this happens I am not using the explorer in the means of opening a file or moving data.

Any help would be appreciated.
    If you need further information, I will be happy to provide it.

:)

Argyris Patikos, Dec 15, 2015

2. 100% cpu usage windows 10

pattygraffuis, Dec 15, 2015
  3. SkypeHost.exe usage high CPU

Am using Windows 10 OS. I noticed that SkypeHost.exe is using too much CPU. When I attempt to stop or suspend process it restarts automatically and uses CPU up to 20-30%. How can I stop it?

Path: "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Messaging_2.12.15004.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\SkypeHost.exe"

Priority: Below Normal

Memory usage: up to 60MB

Threads: 40-50

Subhajit Nandi, Dec 15, 2015
  4. tombnyg Win User

Windows Explorer takes up 40-50% CPU usage

I see this too after deleting a large amount of files. The explorer window hangs open at 99% but 0 bytes left. Very reproducible.

tombnyg, Dec 16, 2015
  5. Jamesc Win User
    I had had the same issue a simple way to fix it open Task Manager find Windows Explorer right click and press Restart

Jamesc, Dec 19, 2015
  6. I tried this and it did not work.
    (Thanks for your contribution)

Argyris Patikos, Dec 20, 2015
  7. I'm also having this problem. Mostly happens few hours after the system started and when I have navigating through explorer a lot. Restarting explorer.exe didn't work.

MenyaMenye, Dec 21, 2015
  8. Jamesc Win User

I would suggest contacting Microsoft about the issue as they may have better knowledge of this bug.

Jamesc, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer takes up 40-50% CPU usage - Similar Threads - Explorer takes 50%

2. Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage: I've had Windows Explorer constantly taking up 16-20% CPU in Windows 10 on a quadcore in recent days. Restarting the Windows Explorer process forked another process COM Surrogate that now used 16-20% of CPU. Rebooting didn't help neither.Considering there are a few closed...
  3. Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage: I've had Windows Explorer constantly taking up 16-20% CPU in Windows 10 on a quadcore in recent days. Restarting the Windows Explorer process forked another process COM Surrogate that now used 16-20% of CPU. Rebooting didn't help neither.Considering there are a few closed...
  4. Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage: Recently on my windows 10 pc the windows explorer app has been taking up to 16% on my CPU.It has also effected navigating the file explorer, deleting, opening and moving in it often results in it becoming non-responsive and when I close the non-responsive application my whole...
  6. Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage: Recently on my windows 10 pc the windows explorer app has been taking up to 16% on my CPU.It has also effected navigating the file explorer, deleting, opening and moving in it often results in it becoming non-responsive and when I close the non-responsive application my whole...
  7. Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage

8. Svchost.exe takes up to 50% of my cpu.

Svchost.exe takes up to 50% of my cpu.: Dear community, 1 of the svhost processes takes up to 50% or more of my laptop cpu resulting that my laptop(gaming laptop) is heating up to fast. I know i can disable it everytime i start up my laptop but i don't find any info about this specific process. [ATTACH] the 50...
  9. Cpu going .40-.50 ghz at 20 percent cpu!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cpu going .40-.50 ghz at 20 percent cpu!: Yesterday I just resetted my laptop and I've been experiencing some problems when I play a game my cpu goes 2.6ghz then randomly out of no where it goes .40ghz or .50 the worse part is the percentage of my cpu is only 20-40 no programs making it high or anything, I'm not...
  10. Problem: Explorer 50% cpu usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Problem: Explorer 50% cpu usage: Every day, at intermittent times unrelated to anything I do [it happens when I'm doing nothing], Explorer starts running with each core at about 50% cpu usage, and does not stop. Temperatures and fan speeds rise, fans become very noisy. Speedfan indicates core temps rise...