Windows 10: Windows Explorer crashes after disconnecting external HDMI monitor

Discus and support Windows Explorer crashes after disconnecting external HDMI monitor in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Issue: Everytime I disconnect the external monitor HDMI cable, explorer.exe crashes.It start happening since last windows update which installed the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Marcio Calasans, Aug 22, 2024.

1. Windows Explorer crashes after disconnecting external HDMI monitor

Issue: Everytime I disconnect the external monitor HDMI cable, explorer.exe crashes.It start happening since last windows update which installed the following packages:- August 13, 2024—KB5041580 OS Builds 19044.4780 and 19045.4780- August 13, 2024-KB5042352 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 10 Version 22H2This is clearly a bug introduced by the windows update which I am looking forward for a solution, so please reply with a specific real solution avoid responding with stuff like "run sfc" or "try-to-see-if-this-work-mambo-jambos" please. Thank you very much

:)

Marcio Calasans, Aug 22, 2024

2. After update today, external HDMI monitor has no sound and speaker no longer listed as audio device

My Windows 11 22H2 updated today with

2022-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5017389) and 2022-09 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5017271).

Now my external HDMI sound is gone.

From task tar, click sound icon, only see Lenovo laptop's built-in speaker listed (Realtek Audio).

Before I can see my HDMI monitor's speaker listed there.

Shutdown laptop and leave external monitor on does not help. Disconnect HDMI cable, power off/on monitor did not help either.

Audio of Device Manager does not list external HDMI monitor's speaker listed there neither.

I especially suspect KB5017271 caused the problem. Was updated KB5017389 first and it seemed was fine with external HDMI monitor speaker (but not 100% sure) which was updated first.

Windows_11_user, Aug 22, 2024
  3. pemills Win User
    External HDMI Monitor causing a Bad_Pool_Header crash

Has anyone had any experience of a external HDMI monitor causing a system crash?

pemills, Aug 22, 2024
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Windows Explorer crashes after disconnecting external HDMI monitor

Primary monitor blacks out after disconnecting from external

Hi Oscar,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

• Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?

This issue could be due to the display setting corruption that only affected the primary display when disconnected from the secondary.

I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works for you:

• Press ‘Win + R’ keys on the keyboard together to open the Run dialog box and type the following into the Run box:
      appwiz.cpl
    • Uninstall Intel HD Graphics Drivers and exit
      Programs and Features.
    • Right click the Windows icon on the taskbar and choose
      Device Manager
    • Expand Display Adapters and right click on
      Intel HD Graphics Display Driver.
    • Click on Uninstall and check the box
      Delete the driver software for this device.

• With the external monitor connected, reboot the machine.
    • Once the machine boots into the desktop, disconnect the external monitor and check if the issue persists.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Aug 22, 2024
Thema:

Windows Explorer crashes after disconnecting external HDMI monitor

1. Windows Explorer crashes after disconnecting external HDMI monitor - Similar Threads - Explorer crashes disconnecting

2. Windows Explorer crashes after disconnecting external HDMI monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer crashes after disconnecting external HDMI monitor: Issue: Everytime I disconnect the external monitor HDMI cable, explorer.exe crashes.It start happening since last windows update which installed the following packages:- August 13, 2024—KB5041580 OS Builds 19044.4780 and 19045.4780- August 13, 2024-KB5042352 Cumulative Update...
  3. Windows Explorer crashes after disconnecting external HDMI monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer crashes after disconnecting external HDMI monitor: Issue: Everytime I disconnect the external monitor HDMI cable, explorer.exe crashes.It start happening since last windows update which installed the following packages:- August 13, 2024—KB5041580 OS Builds 19044.4780 and 19045.4780- August 13, 2024-KB5042352 Cumulative Update...
  4. Display recovery HDMI problem after disconnecting monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display recovery HDMI problem after disconnecting monitor.: When I switch off the monitor on HDMI input and I try to switch it on again, it stays black even if the computer is running. It doesn't respond to the keyboard or mouse and won't recover. I have to use a hard restart. I need to switch monitors because I'm using multiple...
  5. Display recovery HDMI problem after disconnecting monitor.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Display recovery HDMI problem after disconnecting monitor.: When I switch off the monitor on HDMI input and I try to switch it on again, it stays black even if the computer is running. It doesn't respond to the keyboard or mouse and won't recover. I have to use a hard restart. I need to switch monitors because I'm using multiple...
  6. Display recovery HDMI problem after disconnecting monitor.

7. first hdmi disconnected after plug in another hdmi into the monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    first hdmi disconnected after plug in another hdmi into the monitor: I think is the power management problem.I tried to use only one HDMI, but when I switched the monitor's input between HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. HDMI 1 shows signal lost.Its kind of HDMI port sleep after I switch to another input signal. Its struggled me when I using HDMI 1, it...
  8. first hdmi disconnected after plug in another hdmi into the monitor

first hdmi disconnected after plug in another hdmi into the monitor: I think is the power management problem.I tried to use only one HDMI, but when I switched the monitor's input between HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. HDMI 1 shows signal lost.Its kind of HDMI port sleep after I switch to another input signal. Its struggled me when I using HDMI 1, it...
  9. first hdmi disconnected after plug in another hdmi into the monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. External HDMI Monitor causing a Bad_Pool_Header crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External HDMI Monitor causing a Bad_Pool_Header crash: Has anyone had any experience of a external HDMI monitor causing a system crash? 41239