Windows 10: Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage

Discus and support Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've had Windows Explorer constantly taking up 16-20% CPU in Windows 10 on a quadcore in recent days. Restarting the Windows Explorer process forked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by PierreSchroeder, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage

I've had Windows Explorer constantly taking up 16-20% CPU in Windows 10 on a quadcore in recent days. Restarting the Windows Explorer process forked another process COM Surrogate that now used 16-20% of CPU. Rebooting didn't help neither.Considering there are a few closed questions left unanswered relating Windows Explorer consuming CPU, I wished to share my solution to the problem, which is not covered by the standard debugging procedures posted in those answers.I figured out that the issue appeared after recording a screen-capture within VirtualBox 6.1.26 r145957. The resulting *.webm fi

:)

PierreSchroeder, Oct 17, 2022

2. Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

Hi Andrew,

Usually, too many background processes can boost your CPU usage. Since you already disabled the apps that are not necessary on startup,
    we suggest checking the applications running once you have successfully boot Windows 10. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

From there, you should see what applications are running on high CPU usage. You can also
    restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service and see if your CPU performance will improve. Follow the instructions below to restart the service:

• Click on the Start button and type Services.
    • Scroll down the list and look for Windows Management Instrumentation.
    • Right click on it and select Restart.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Oct 17, 2022
  3. LuizScruz Win User
    Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage

Hello cianfitzsimons, welcome to the Microsoft community, I'll be happy to help you today;

I understand that the Windows Explorer process is consuming a lot of CPU in Windows 10;

Initially I recommend you to try all the methods provided in the link below:

https://windowsreport.com/high-cpu-usage-explor...

Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft sites. The pages appear to provide accurate and secure information. Watch out for ads on websites that may advertise products that are often classified as PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Goods). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the websites before deciding to download and install it.

Hope it works, see you soon!

LuizScruz, Oct 17, 2022
  4. Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage

Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

To further troubleshoot the issue, we suggest checking the Task Manager again to see what are the
    applications that have high CPU usage. To do this, follow the same steps you did from the previous reply:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

However, based on your response above, it seems that you may need to create a new user account again and just install your apps manually instead of copying them as your
    previous user account might be corrupted.

Once your done with the steps, please let us know how it goes.

Jefferson Ore, Oct 17, 2022
Thema:

Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage

1. Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage - Similar Threads - explorer constantly taking

2. Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage: I've had Windows Explorer constantly taking up 16-20% CPU in Windows 10 on a quadcore in recent days. Restarting the Windows Explorer process forked another process COM Surrogate that now used 16-20% of CPU. Rebooting didn't help neither.Considering there are a few closed...
  3. Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage: I've had Windows Explorer constantly taking up 16-20% CPU in Windows 10 on a quadcore in recent days. Restarting the Windows Explorer process forked another process COM Surrogate that now used 16-20% of CPU. Rebooting didn't help neither.Considering there are a few closed...
  4. Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage: Recently on my windows 10 pc the windows explorer app has been taking up to 16% on my CPU.It has also effected navigating the file explorer, deleting, opening and moving in it often results in it becoming non-responsive and when I close the non-responsive application my whole...
  5. Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage: Recently on my windows 10 pc the windows explorer app has been taking up to 16% on my CPU.It has also effected navigating the file explorer, deleting, opening and moving in it often results in it becoming non-responsive and when I close the non-responsive application my whole...
  6. Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage

7. Constant Freezes and High CPU usage

Constant Freezes and High CPU usage: Hello, I have been browsing through Microsoft Community for some time now and I have found many similar problems and applied most of the solutions but sadly nothing seems to work. The main problem appears when computer is put to sleep by closing the lid or pressing the...
  8. high CPU usage by Windows Explorer

high CPU usage by Windows Explorer: Hi, I was looking through the performance of my new msi laptop, and noticed Windows Explorer was using almost the same, if not more CPU than fusion360. Even with all apps closed and at idle, the program is still using up to 17% cpu. I've looked up causes for this, and one...
  9. Windows Explorer takes up 40-50% CPU usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer takes up 40-50% CPU usage: Hello, I have this problem where after some hours of use (~3, for example) the windows explorer takes up 40-50% of the CPU causing major performance loss. I do not know what is causing this problem, as it does have to do with my activity, since when this happens I am not...
  10. Extremely high constant CPU usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extremely high constant CPU usage: So up until this morning my Windows 10 desktop has been performing really well. When the machine is idle the CPU use is only in the 1-3% range. For some reason my idle CPU use is now CONSTANTLY 30-40% (even after a reboot)! Task manager says its "Service Host: Local System...