Windows 10: Windows Defender scans way more files than there are on my drive

Discus and support Windows Defender scans way more files than there are on my drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, on my drive i have around 350K files according to file explorer but Windows Defender scans around 950K. Also, the amount of files scanned during... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Thomas Jacobs2, Sep 13, 2023.

1. Windows Defender scans way more files than there are on my drive

Hello, on my drive i have around 350K files according to file explorer but Windows Defender scans around 950K. Also, the amount of files scanned during a full scan seem to fluctuate alot it seems. What could this be?

:)

Thomas Jacobs2, Sep 13, 2023
  2. Brian Cab Win User

Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

Hi Joe,

to scan external drives using Windows Defender, follow the steps provided below.

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Go to Settings tab.
    • Select the Advanced option.
    • tick the checkbox for Scan removable drives.

Regards.

Brian Cab, Sep 13, 2023
  3. JoeJY Win User

I have Defender Windows 10. I tried using custom scan to select and scan external drives. The screen listing the drives comes up, but the "OK" button remains grayed out so unable to scan any of the drives listed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JoeJY, Sep 13, 2023
  4. JoeJY Win User

Windows Defender scans way more files than there are on my drive

I tried the custom scan in Defender Windows 10. It brings up the list of drives but the "OK" button remains grayed out when I select any drive in the list, so still unable to scan external drives... Any suggestion would be appreciated.

JoeJY, Sep 13, 2023
Thema:

Windows Defender scans way more files than there are on my drive

1. Windows Defender scans way more files than there are on my drive - Similar Threads - Defender scans more

2. Why does Windows Full Scan sometimes get stuck or scan way more files than there are on my pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows Full Scan sometimes get stuck or scan way more files than there are on my pc?: Recently I tried to full scan my new pc and when it reached the "800k files scanned" the estimated time remained on 1:34 mins and didn't move for a solid while. I had to cancel the scan because it was taking so long. After that, I scanned the PC again with all my apps closed...
  3. Why does Windows Full Scan sometimes get stuck or scan way more files than there are on my pc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Windows Full Scan sometimes get stuck or scan way more files than there are on my pc?: Recently I tried to full scan my new pc and when it reached the "800k files scanned" the estimated time remained on 1:34 mins and didn't move for a solid while. I had to cancel the scan because it was taking so long. After that, I scanned the PC again with all my apps closed...
  4. Windows Defender scans way more files than there are on my drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender scans way more files than there are on my drive: Hello, on my drive i have around 350K files according to file explorer but Windows Defender scans around 950K. Also, the amount of files scanned during a full scan seem to fluctuate alot it seems. What could this be?...
  5. My Microsoft Safety Scanner scans more than 25 million files on my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Microsoft Safety Scanner scans more than 25 million files on my computer: So I scanned my computer this morning using the Microsoft Safety Scanner. I expected it to take less than three hours, but it has already taken ten hours. Microsoft Safety Scanner has already scanned more than 25 million files, but it is still running halfway. Is it normal? I...
  6. Is virus scanning an external hard drive more effective than scanning your computer?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is virus scanning an external hard drive more effective than scanning your computer?: I know that scanning your computer when infected is next to useless for detecting malware. I have heard that connecting a clean computer to the infected computer to scan is more useful for detecting malware, does this concept also apply with external hard drives? Will I be...
  7. Total space used in drive way more than the space used by all my files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Total space used in drive way more than the space used by all my files: So, I ran a chkdsk on my E: Drive and noticed the used up space has suddenly increased. All the files collectively including hidden files occupy only 37.5 GB data but the disk is showing 60 GB used space only 115GB free in 175GB drive. I thought there are probably some bad...
  8. Why is Defender scanning a whole lot more files than usual?

Why is Defender scanning a whole lot more files than usual?: I have a quick scan going on right now. It's been about twenty minutes and it's still scanning and it's almost at five million files right now. What's happening? Is this a normal quick scan? Or is it actually doing a full scan instead? 2004. - - - Updated - - - I just feel...
  9. Folder scan is of much more files than files in folder

Folder scan is of much more files than files in folder: I am having a problem scanning files. When I scan the download folder there are 346 files scanned. There are really only four files in the folder, when I scan them individually the first .pdf file scans as two files and the other three files scan as one file each. Is there...
  10. scanning more than 1 document

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    scanning more than 1 document: I have a PIXMA MG5520 Scanner and I'd like to know how to put 2 or more scanned documents in 1 file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/scanning-more-than-1-document/dc0d4ef8-f066-4eca-b052-c52b8c09d687