Windows 10: Windows Defender Bug - False Positive

Discus and support Windows Defender Bug - False Positive in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So off late our company software was getting a false positive from Windows' virus and threat protection where it gives a prompt "Windows has protected... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AliBpm, Apr 29, 2024.

1. AliBpm Win User

Windows Defender Bug - False Positive

So off late our company software was getting a false positive from Windows' virus and threat protection where it gives a prompt "Windows has protected your PC" when you run the .exe. I have already submitted my .exe here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission and the results have confirmed that it was a false positive, you can find the results associated with the following submission ID d94d850d-dd50-4f29-a318-1635aeed925e.After this I see that this particular .exe which I submitted does not give me the "Windows has protected your PC" problem but the other .exeswhich are of

:)

AliBpm, Apr 29, 2024

2. defender false positive

Hi Bob,

To better assist you, kindly verify the following:

• Where did you submit the file about Windows Defender being false positive?
    • Right after the recent Windows 10 update, your Zara Radio stopped working?
    • Regarding the 404 error, what application were you using when you got that error?

Let us know.

Joanna 777, Apr 29, 2024
  3. Try3 Win User
    Windows defender false positive - forced to allow threat

Windows defender has started to identify C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe as a threat [normally reported as a Trojan Powessere.G]. I use mshta.exe to run an hta custom MsgBox - I have been hoping to keep using my current CustomMsgBox tool [batch file calling a vbs-hta file] until later this year when I hope to have had enough time to replace it with a PowerShell alternative.

Windows defender's notification lets me "allow the threat" but that seems to me to be a bigger security hole than is necessary - it will now ignore a potentially real intrusion when all I want to run is a genuine Windows component. My immediate problem is fixed but I would prefer to fix the false positive using the exclusions list.

I cleared the 'Allowed threats history' so I could use the exclusions list instead. I added C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe to the file exclusions list and I checked that it had taken properly by checking the exclusions list both in the UI & in the Registry. But the exclusion made no difference, it continued to detect and block the exe.

I have repeated the attempt several times [by clearing the allowed threats list & exclusions list beforehand] and the results are the same every time
    - allowing the threat works,
    - using the exclusions list has no effect.

I studied the relevant tutorial but have not spotted an error in what I have been doing - Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions

Does anybody with experience of using the exclusions list to counter false positives have any suggestions for me?

Denis

4. Windows Defender Bug - False Positive

Why does Windows Defender not understand "False Positive"?

Almost daily now, I've had to clear a "threat" from Defender's "actions needed" list on a specific program that is a false positive.

How do I make it work as expected?

DreamlessDancer, Apr 29, 2024
Thema:

Windows Defender Bug - False Positive

1. Windows Defender Bug - False Positive - Similar Threads - Defender Bug False

2. Windows Defender Bug - False Positive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Bug - False Positive: So off late our company software was getting a false positive from Windows' virus and threat protection where it gives a prompt "Windows has protected your PC" when you run the .exe. I have already submitted my .exe here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission and...
  3. Windows Defender Bug - False Positive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Bug - False Positive: So off late our company software was getting a false positive from Windows' virus and threat protection where it gives a prompt "Windows has protected your PC" when you run the .exe. I have already submitted my .exe here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission and...
  4. "No Internet" false positive bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "No Internet" false positive bug: Hi,I've noticed this problem as of the past year or so on ALL my Windows machines. I own a company with over 200 individual devices plus home PCs that me and my family use. Frequently, more than a few times a month, I get the infamous globe on the toolbar that indicates no...
  5. "No Internet" false positive bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "No Internet" false positive bug: Hi,I've noticed this problem as of the past year or so on ALL my Windows machines. I own a company with over 200 individual devices plus home PCs that me and my family use. Frequently, more than a few times a month, I get the infamous globe on the toolbar that indicates no...
  6. False positive in Defender?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    False positive in Defender?: Defender has just identified an alleged Script/Wacatc.B1Ml trojan in a zip file that has been on my system for many years. It didn't object to the unzipped version, a vbs file. I don't know where the zip file has been put, to send a sample and I can't remember how to send...
  7. A false positive detected by Windows Defender

A false positive detected by Windows Defender: I need help on my computer's built-in Microsoft Antivirus system. Although I have already deleted the files that caused the false positive to be detected, my pc still gave me this notification NON-STOP.This is not a virus. This is actually a false positive detected by Windows...
  8. Windows Defender False-Positives loop

Windows Defender False-Positives loop: After spending all day on this literally my patience has worn out. I have been using Windows Defender for many years on many different computers, they've done their job and never given me grief-until now. I've been able to download several tools/programs without issue and...
  9. Feedback for Windows Defender false positive found

Feedback for Windows Defender false positive found: Hello, where can be send for repair info about false positive found e.g. threat? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/feedback-for-windows-defender-false-positive-found/05fac603-354c-4f88-949d-616cb0051330
  10. Windows Defender False Positives

Windows Defender False Positives: I received an alarming message from WD which says all antivirus providers are disabled, which I think was a false positives. So I went on a check. And the result: [ATTACH] Protection is on, license is active and my firewall is on too. Can you tell why that message is...