Windows 10: Windows applications only not opening after update 2 days ago

Discus and support Windows applications only not opening after update 2 days ago in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Start menu, search bar, command prompt, right clicking, Ctrl Alt del and anything else windows - can't even open the date and time all don't work. You... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by PayMeNow, Sep 14, 2023.

1. PayMeNow Win User

Windows applications only not opening after update 2 days ago

Start menu, search bar, command prompt, right clicking, Ctrl Alt del and anything else windows - can't even open the date and time all don't work. You can see the computer starts to open the apps but they immediately close afterwards. Frustrating to say the least. New build as of Jan. No real problems until now. Any suggestions?

:)

PayMeNow, Sep 14, 2023
  2. Kem Mon Win User

Mouse stopped working 2 days ago

Hi,

There are a lot of possible reasons for this matter to occur. One possible cause is your
    drivers
    might be
    outdated
    or the issue is within the
    device/hardware
    itself. However, we need to make sure that it is the case. To isolate the issue, we have
    some questions for you:

• Were there any changes made before the issue occurred?

• Have you tried downloading and installing the latest driver update available in your computer/laptop manufacturer's
      website?

• Have you tried using the device to another computer?

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We suggest that you perform these
    methods of troubleshooting
    and check if there are any changes:

Method 1: Run Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.

To run the Troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting
      and hit
      Enter.

• Choose
      Hardware and Sound.

• Click on
      Hardware and Devices
      to run the
      Troubleshooter.

Method 2: Update your drivers.

To know how to update your drivers, click
    here.

Method 3:
    Run SFC Scan.  

SFC
    will
    scan
    and
    run
    an
    automatic repair
    to any
    corrupted system files
    that it will detect. We suggest that you perform it twice. To run an
    SFC scan, follow these steps:  

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type
      sfc /scannow
      and hit
      Enter.   

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    Device Vendor manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Sep 14, 2023
  3. chadwick0 Win User
    Windows fails to open applications

Hi,

Once I have several applications open Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 refuses to open further application. I have heavy-weight applications like Delphi and Eclipse open, but the OS has coped with this in the past.

No error messages are reported by the application I am attempting to open, and there are no messages in the event viewer. What is really strange is that once the OS gets itself into this state, it appears that the OS can't allocate enough memory to perform simple API calls. If I go into an application that is already open and try to open the file menu, or right click on the taskbar to open the context menu, nothing happens.

If I close a few applications, then the problem goes away. The Task Manager performance tab indicates that I still have ~1Gb of physical memory available.

I think this could be caused by:

- A memory module is damaged. My memory is comprised of 1x1Gb modules. When the system attempts to allocate memory in the second module, it is unable to. I think this is a bit of a long-shot because I wouldn't expect my PC to boot if a memory module was playing-up

- I've installed something that has put something malicious on my PC. The only things I've installed recently are PRGrep and WinGrep, but unfortunately I didn't make a system restore point, and windows hasn't retained those old restore points. However a full Sophos scan doesn't show-up anything.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose/fix this welcome because I'm baffled as to what is going on.

Thanks,

Frank.

chadwick0, Sep 14, 2023
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Sep 14, 2023
Thema:

1. Windows applications only not opening after update 2 days ago - Similar Threads - applications opening update

2. Windows applications only not opening after update 2 days ago

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows applications only not opening after update 2 days ago: Start menu, search bar, command prompt, right clicking, Ctrl Alt del and anything else windows - can't even open the date and time all don't work. You can see the computer starts to open the apps but they immediately close afterwards. Frustrating to say the least. New build...
  3. Adobe not opening pdf's. It was fine 2 days ago!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adobe not opening pdf's. It was fine 2 days ago!: I am running Windows 10 on a desktop and use pdf's regularly for work documents.Two days ago I could open them with Adobe which is the default program without any issues. Today Adobe would not open them.Adobe support much better than Microsoft as you can actually get online...
  4. Adobe not opening pdf's. It was fine 2 days ago!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adobe not opening pdf's. It was fine 2 days ago!: I am running Windows 10 on a desktop and use pdf's regularly for work documents.Two days ago I could open them with Adobe which is the default program without any issues. Today Adobe would not open them.Adobe support much better than Microsoft as you can actually get online...
  5. Adobe not opening pdf's. It was fine 2 days ago!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Adobe not opening pdf documents. It was fine 2 days ago!

Adobe not opening pdf documents. It was fine 2 days ago!: I am running Windows 10 on a desktop and use pdf's regularly for work documents.Two days ago I could open them with Adobe which is the default program without any issues. Today Adobe would not open them.Adobe support much better than Microsoft as you can actually get online...
  7. Adobe not opening pdf documents. It was fine 2 days ago!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adobe not opening pdf documents. It was fine 2 days ago!: I am running Windows 10 on a desktop and use pdf's regularly for work documents.Two days ago I could open them with Adobe which is the default program without any issues. Today Adobe would not open them.Adobe support much better than Microsoft as you can actually get online...
  8. BSOD after update 2 days ago

BSOD after update 2 days ago: really really annoyed can you help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-after-update-2-days-ago/abf644ec-4e2e-4058-9df8-7e867907d72c
  9. restore to 2 days ago

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    restore to 2 days ago: I want to restore computer to 2 days ago. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-to-2-days-ago/85995d58-361e-497c-9c7b-7972ccc13c4d
  10. windows 10 will not load after an update 2 days ago

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 will not load after an update 2 days ago: somebody please help me. isn't there a tech who can log onto to my computer and fix this? please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-will-not-load-after-an-update-2-days/19e55b1e-bc49-4e27-adfc-eb2d3a181d0e