Windows 10: Windows Activaiton via E5 license - PC is showing an OEM license key

Discus and support Windows Activaiton via E5 license - PC is showing an OEM license key in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; We have a Windows 11 Pro image I have deployed using MDT about a hundred times with no issues. Once a user logs in Windows 11 will activate and become... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mark Ware mark.ware, Apr 10, 2024.

1. Windows Activaiton via E5 license - PC is showing an OEM license key

We have a Windows 11 Pro image I have deployed using MDT about a hundred times with no issues. Once a user logs in Windows 11 will activate and become Windows 11 Enterprise.However we have one older Dell laptop that has a Xeon processor that we imaged. The user logs in and it does become Windows 11 Enterprise but shows as Not Active but also shows an Active Subscription for Windows 11 Enterprise.We don't ever use a product key so I am not sure where it's coming from on the Activation Settings page. The error is 0xC004C003 and troubleshoot doesn't fix anything.I have tried slmgr /upk and reb

:)

Mark Ware mark.ware, Apr 10, 2024

2. Question On OEM Windows clean install......

"Flavors" of Windows licenses

Windows can be a little "odd" about license keys. There are at least 4 categories:
    • Retail
    • OEM
    • Volume (electronic download)
    • Corporate (no key needed)
    For guaranteed success, the license key and media should be in the same category. If you have retail media, you may not be able to install it using an OEM or Volume license key, even though the key is valid for that version of Windows. *Wtf :wtf: Apparently, this is part of Microsoft's anti-piracy scheme (i.e., all customers are guilty until proven innocent).

Static~Charge, Apr 10, 2024
  3. Question about OEM licenses

For an OEM license Windows, do I have to get a new Windows license everytime I upgrade the mobo? I read that it was tied to the BIOS. Thanks.

runevirage, Apr 10, 2024
  4. 95Viper Win User

Windows Activaiton via E5 license - PC is showing an OEM license key

Question about OEM licenses

Quoted from Microsoft Web site:Licensing FAQ

"Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?"

"A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by that End User Software License Terms. The End User Software License Terms is a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it."

95Viper, Apr 10, 2024
Thema:

Windows Activaiton via E5 license - PC is showing an OEM license key

1. Windows Activaiton via E5 license - PC is showing an OEM license key - Similar Threads - Activaiton via license

2. Windows Activaiton via E5 license - PC is showing an OEM license key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Activaiton via E5 license - PC is showing an OEM license key: We have a Windows 11 Pro image I have deployed using MDT about a hundred times with no issues. Once a user logs in Windows 11 will activate and become Windows 11 Enterprise.However we have one older Dell laptop that has a Xeon processor that we imaged. The user logs in and it...
  3. KVM license and Azure E5 license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KVM license and Azure E5 license: We are seeing some Surfaces that are coming from Dell that are being reimaged with Windows 10. They are not getting license from Azure E5 and are showing as it has gotten a digital license. After adding it to Intune, and while users are working, they are being prompted for...
  4. KVM license and Azure E5 license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KVM license and Azure E5 license: We are seeing some Surfaces that are coming from Dell that are being reimaged with Windows 10. They are not getting license from Azure E5 and are showing as it has gotten a digital license. After adding it to Intune, and while users are working, they are being prompted for...
  5. KVM license and Azure E5 license

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Windows Subscriptions Showing As "Not Active" With An E5 Licensed User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Subscriptions Showing As "Not Active" With An E5 Licensed User: Hello, I am having an issue with about 40 laptops. We switched to E5 licenses from Business Premium licenses. Some machines are upgrading to Enterprise, some are not. For the ones which are not, I am see that their activation state is "Active" for Windows Pro but the...
  7. Windows Subscriptions Showing As "Not Active" With An E5 Licensed User

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Subscriptions Showing As "Not Active" With An E5 Licensed User: Hello, I am having an issue with about 40 laptops. We switched to E5 licenses from Business Premium licenses. Some machines are upgrading to Enterprise, some are not. For the ones which are not, I am see that their activation state is "Active" for Windows Pro but the...
  8. Activation via E5 license

Activation via E5 license: Hi, Is there any way to activate a windows 10 enterprise using azure AD join and e5 license even though the machine you used doesn't have any firmware embedded activation key? I got the right E5 license and the machine is join via azure ad join. But it won't allow me to...
  9. OEM License

OEM License: Hi, I bought a windows 7 Home Edition retail version long time ago. I got upgraded for free to windows 10 when it came out. Now, I bought a new computer and I was able to transfer my license from my old computer to the new one. I found an OEM pro version for sale on...
  10. Windows 10 License activaiton

Windows 10 License activaiton: Hi as you know the windows 7 support end on 14th Jan 2020 so we are upgrading our desktops from Windows 7 to 10 pro, coming to activation part, showing digital license and activated with existing windows 7 licenses Please confirm that it means its a genuine windows...