Windows 10: Windows 11, worse than Vista, ME, 2000 or 98

Discus and support Windows 11, worse than Vista, ME, 2000 or 98 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Windows 11 is an absolute disaster. I have been trying to do a system restore for forever now, it's gotten hung up on every restore point I have at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BrianS00000000, Jun 30, 2024.

1. Windows 11, worse than Vista, ME, 2000 or 98

Windows 11 is an absolute disaster. I have been trying to do a system restore for forever now, it's gotten hung up on every restore point I have at restoring the registry. I have worked on PCs for over 20 years, I've seen it all but nothing even comes remotely close to how HORRIBLE Windows 11 operates, or in multiple instances in my cases, doesn't. I've seen many PCs with nonstop Windows 11 issues that you cannot be bothered to assist with so I am just at the end of my rope. Microsoft, you have lost a customer. I'm done with your OSs. I'll never buy nor recommend a Windows product to my client

:)

BrianS00000000, Jun 30, 2024

2. Windows 98......

Windows 98 SE is Windows 9x and Windows 2000 is Windows NT. Some software may not run on Windows 2000 where it did on Windows 98 SE (ISA especially).

Windows 98 SE does have USB support but it isn't near as plug n' play as it is today. You have to make sure to install drivers (if nothing else, generic Microsoft drivers) for all USB devices. The Windows 98 SE disk comes in real handy for that.

FordGT90Concept, Jun 30, 2024
  3. Windows 98 problem

why not try to use virtual PC and emulate windows 98 on a XP machine or did someone already suggest that?

brandonwh64, Jun 30, 2024
  4. Rosy Yuan Win User

Windows 11, worse than Vista, ME, 2000 or 98

Windows 2000 and Windows 11

Hello Kevin,

Hope you have a lovely day!

You have a mini lab running Windows 2000 and need it to access a shared folder on a Windows 11 Kiosk. While the Windows 2000 machine can see the Windows 11 machine, it cannot access the network path despite all sharing settings being configured to allow access for everyone.

Steps to Resolve the Issue:

1. Check SMB Protocol Compatibility

Windows 2000 uses SMB1 for file sharing, while Windows 11 defaults to using SMB2/3 and has SMB1 disabled due to security concerns. Enabling SMB1 on Windows 11 might resolve the compatibility issue.

Enable SMB1 on Windows 11:

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Go to Programs > Programs and Features.
    3. Click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    4. Scroll down and check SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support.
    5. Click OK and restart your computer.
    2. Adjust Network and Sharing Settings

Ensure that network discovery and file sharing are enabled on both machines.

On Windows 11:

1. Open Settings > Network & Internet > Status.
    2. Click on Network and Sharing Center.
    3. Click Change advanced sharing settings.
    4. Ensure that Network discovery and File and printer sharing are turned on.
    5. Ensure that Public folder sharing is turned on.
    On Windows 2000:

1. Go to Control Panel > Network and Dial-up Connections.
    2. Right-click on the network connection and select Properties.
    3. Ensure that File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is checked.
    3. Verify Share Permissions

Ensure that the shared folder on Windows 11 has appropriate permissions.

1. Right-click the shared folder and select Properties.
    2. Go to the Sharing tab and click Advanced Sharing.
    3. Click Permissions and ensure Everyone has Full Control.
    4. Go to the Security tab, and ensure that the Everyone group has the necessary permissions.
    4. Network Security Settings

Adjust network security settings to allow for legacy systems.

On Windows 11:

1. Press Win + R, type secpol.msc, and press Enter to open the Local Security Policy editor.
    2. Navigate to Local Policies > Security Options.
    3. Find Network security: LAN Manager authentication level and set it to Send LM & NTLM responses.
    5. Map Network Drive

Manually map the network drive on Windows 2000.

1. Open My Computer.
    2. Go to Tools > Map Network Drive.
    3. Enter the path to the shared folder (e.g., \\Windows11Machine\SharedFolder).
    4. Check Reconnect at logon if you want the drive to be mapped automatically at each logon.
    5. Click Finish.
    6. Firewall and Antivirus Settings

Ensure that firewalls and antivirus software are not blocking the connection.

On Windows 11:

1. Open Windows Security.
    2. Go to Firewall & network protection.
    3. Click on Allow an app through firewall.
    4. Ensure that File and Printer Sharing is allowed.

Conclusion

By following these steps, you should be able to resolve the network path issues between your Windows 2000 and Windows 11 machines. If the problem persists, consider checking the event logs on both systems for more detailed error messages that might provide additional clues.If you find the answer helpful, please help mark it as the accepted answer.

Best regards,
    Rosy

Rosy Yuan, Jun 30, 2024
Thema:

Windows 11, worse than Vista, ME, 2000 or 98

1. Windows 11, worse than Vista, ME, 2000 or 98 - Similar Threads - worse Vista 2000

2. Windows 95/NT4/98/Me/2000 Updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 95/NT4/98/Me/2000 Updates: Hi guysDo you guys have updates for Windows 95/NT4/98/Me/2000. The project Windows Update Restored doesn't have enough update files for Windows 95/NT4/98/Me/2000 to keep the project going. Can you please send us an update archive? Thanks....
  3. Windows 95/NT4/98/Me/2000 Updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 95/NT4/98/Me/2000 Updates: Hi guysDo you guys have updates for Windows 95/NT4/98/Me/2000. The project Windows Update Restored doesn't have enough update files for Windows 95/NT4/98/Me/2000 to keep the project going. Can you please send us an update archive? Thanks....
  4. Windows 11, worse than Vista, ME, 2000 or 98

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11, worse than Vista, ME, 2000 or 98: Windows 11 is an absolute disaster. I have been trying to do a system restore for forever now, it's gotten hung up on every restore point I have at restoring the registry. I have worked on PCs for over 20 years, I've seen it all but nothing even comes remotely close to how...
  5. is there anyway i can get a emulator for windows 95 or 98 or 2000 or me

is there anyway i can get a emulator for windows 95 or 98 or 2000 or me: need it to play alien vs predators 2 windows 11 broke the game https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-anyway-i-can-get-a-emulator-for-windows/145bb573-f98f-47c4-ac07-f2ee5cf40e1e
  6. is there anyway i can get a emulator for windows 95 or 98 or 2000 or me

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is there anyway i can get a emulator for windows 95 or 98 or 2000 or me: need it to play alien vs predators 2 windows 11 broke the game https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-anyway-i-can-get-a-emulator-for-windows/145bb573-f98f-47c4-ac07-f2ee5cf40e1e
  7. Why windows 11 is worse than Windows 8 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why windows 11 is worse than Windows 8 ?: As an IT personnel Windows 10 is much much better in every aspect compared to the windows 11. Microsoft keeps making our life miserable with such operating systems since at first, Microsoft replaced their best operating system i.e windows 7 with an a trash os known as windows...
  8. Why windows 11 is worse than Windows 8 ?

Why windows 11 is worse than Windows 8 ?: As an IT personnel Windows 10 is much much better in every aspect compared to the windows 11. Microsoft keeps making our life miserable with such operating systems since at first, Microsoft replaced their best operating system i.e windows 7 with an a trash os known as windows...
  9. Worse than expected gaming performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Worse than expected gaming performance: Hey. Less than a month ago I was updating my graphics drivers. That time was a little weird though, my screens kept flashing more times than usual, they usually only flicker 2-3 times and then stop, but they flickered like 8 times then I got a windows popup saying some...
  10. this application can run on microsoft windows 95/98/ME/XP/2000 server 2003 only

this application can run on microsoft windows 95/98/ME/XP/2000 server 2003 only: I am trying to run fire captain in compatibility on windows 10 but the subject message keeps appearing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_games/this-application-can-run-on-microsoft-windows/70578b6a-bd1e-46f3-861b-89a258a463b8