Windows 10: Windows 11 Start Menu - Recommended Recent files and new apps section

Discus and support Windows 11 Start Menu - Recommended Recent files and new apps section in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Dear Microsoft,I'd like to be able to fill the "Recommended" part of the start menu with more icons of my choosing if I disable "Show recently added... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Epsilons, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Epsilons Win User

Windows 11 Start Menu - Recommended Recent files and new apps section

Dear Microsoft,I'd like to be able to fill the "Recommended" part of the start menu with more icons of my choosing if I disable "Show recently added apps", "Show the most used apps" and "Show recently opened items in Start, Jump Lists, and File Explorer" on my "Personalisation > Start" settings.Reasoning : I always hated the idea of showing "Recent files" for privacy concern, and this real-estate of the start menu is now wasted if we don't use it.Here's what I want from my Start Menu : While you're at it, please allow the end-user to set the height of the start menu to his choosing. As

:)

Epsilons, Oct 25, 2021

2. Recent File List

that's all off already dude lol, I'm really surprised there is no fix for the recent files list/MRU in the file menu of programs haha

I appreciate the help, MS really needs to implement a Group Policy or a string that can do that for all programs installed

eidairaman1, Oct 25, 2021
  3. can't choose recent files from Start menu

Hi Kim,

Showing your recently opened items from the Start menu may not be enabled. For you to see your pinned or recently opened files for each app in the apps list, follow these steps:

1. Navigate to Settings > Personalization > Start.
    2. Toggle on the Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar option.

Once the option is enabled, try opening some files from any of your Office apps. The recently opened files should now appear under
    Recent when you right-click a particular app in the App list. Please note that once this option is disabled or toggled off, all the recently opened files will be removed from the
    Start menu and from the File Explorer > Quick access.

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 25, 2021
  4. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Oct 25, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 11 Start Menu - Recommended Recent files and new apps section - Similar Threads - Start Menu Recommended

2. Recommended section in the start menu is blank

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recommended section in the start menu is blank: There's just one app in my start menu recommended section suddenly, and it's always just one app. Why? How to resolve this issue?Start menu recommended section is turned on...
  3. Recommended section in the start menu is blank

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recommended section in the start menu is blank: There's just one app in my start menu recommended section suddenly, and it's always just one app. Why? How to resolve this issue?Start menu recommended section is turned on...
  4. Recent apps don't work in the "Recommendations" section of the start menu

Recent apps don't work in the "Recommendations" section of the start menu: After the KB5025310 update, the one that changed the way the Print Screen key works in Windows 11, apparently broke the work of the "Recommended" section, the section in which applications are displayed.Previously, after opening the application, the application icon appeared...
  5. Recent apps don't work in the "Recommendations" section of the start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recent apps don't work in the "Recommendations" section of the start menu: After the KB5025310 update, the one that changed the way the Print Screen key works in Windows 11, apparently broke the work of the "Recommended" section, the section in which applications are displayed.Previously, after opening the application, the application icon appeared...
  6. Windows 11 Start menu recommended section

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Start menu recommended section: I have recently upgraded to windows 11, one issues is there isn't enough space for all the apps I want pinned without scrolling.Half of the space is taken up by the "Recommend" section, I managed to turn all the things off that were showing there, but cannot find how to hide...
  7. Windows 11 Start menu recommended section

Windows 11 Start menu recommended section: I have recently upgraded to windows 11, one issues is there isn't enough space for all the apps I want pinned without scrolling.Half of the space is taken up by the "Recommend" section, I managed to turn all the things off that were showing there, but cannot find how to hide...
  8. Windows 11 Start Menu - Recommended Recent files and new apps section

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Start Menu - Recommended Recent files and new apps section: Dear Microsoft,I'd like to be able to fill the "Recommended" part of the start menu with more icons of my choosing if I disable "Show recently added apps", "Show the most used apps" and "Show recently opened items in Start, Jump Lists, and File Explorer" on my...
  9. Recommended section in Windows 11 Start Menu

Recommended section in Windows 11 Start Menu: Microsoft needs to give users the option to completely remove the Recommended section from the Windows 11 Start Menu. I've turned off all recommendations in Settings, and now have half of my Start Menu full of ... dead space.I do not want nor need to see my recent files or...
  10. Recommended section in Windows 11 Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recommended section in Windows 11 Start Menu: Microsoft needs to give users the option to completely remove the Recommended section from the Windows 11 Start Menu. I've turned off all recommendations in Settings, and now have half of my Start Menu full of ... dead space.I do not want nor need to see my recent files or...