Windows 10: Windows 11 smart card error

Discus and support Windows 11 smart card error in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Recently got a new id card and tried authenticating, but it always shows this message, everything worked fine with the previous card. I have installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Toms1321, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Toms1321 Win User

Windows 11 smart card error

Recently got a new id card and tried authenticating, but it always shows this message, everything worked fine with the previous card. I have installed a lot of different smart card drivers, but nothing works.The card reader software recognizes the card and reads it properly, but when I try to authenticate with it, it displays this message.The same id card and reader work fine on a different computer.What should I do?

:)

Toms1321, Nov 21, 2022

2. Windows 10 Smart Card Error

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the difficulties you are facing while booting the PC to Windows 10 as you are getting the option to use your smart card login.

This could be due to accidentally configure the Windows system to allow only smart card login.
    Cards are a portable, secure and a tamper-proof way to provide security solutions for tasks such as client authentication, logging on to domains, code signing, and securing e-mail. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly,
    please reply with the answers to the questions below

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Does the PC connected to any domain network?
    • Are you aware of any recent changes on the PC, prior to this issue?

However, you can try these methods and check if you are able to disable the smart card login.

Method 1: Disable Force Smart Card Login

If a problem prevents you from logging in to Windows with a smart card, start your computer in safe mode and disable this security feature. Smart Card Login option will not be available in Safe Mode. Whether
    you log in with a physical or virtual smart card, Windows stores your settings in the Windows NT Registry. If you’re able to log in to Windows, you can disable smart card login for future sessions by editing your local group policies. Disabling the Smart Card
    Plug and Play service removes the option to insert a smart card when logging in.

1. Login to Windows in Safe mode, please follow this
      safe mode article.
    2. Press Windows + R key to launch
      Run command.
    3. Type regedit in the Run dialog box and click OK.
    4. Navigate to the following key:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PoliciesSystem
    5. In the right pane of this location, you’ll find a DWORD named scforceoption.
    6. In the Value Data field, change the current value of “1” to “0” and click “OK.”
    7. Close Registry Editor and restart your computer in normal mode. The login screen prompts you to enter your username and password rather than insert a smart card.

Method 2:
    Disable Smart Card Plug and Play Service.

1. Press Windows + R key to launch Run command.
    2. Type gpedit.msc in the Run dialog box and click OK.
    3. Navigate to “Computer Configuration>Policies>Windows Settings>Local Policies>Security Options>Interactive logon: Require smart cards”
    4. Right-click “Interactive logon: Require smart cards” and select “Edit.” In the Properties dialog, select “Disabled” to turn off this service
    5. Now navigate to “Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Smart Card>Turn On Smart Card Plug and Play Service”
    6. Right-click “Turn On Smart Card Plug and Play Service” and select “Edit.” In the Properties dialog, select “Disabled” to turn off this service and remove the smart card option from the login screen. Click
      “Apply” and “OK” to save your changes.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Nov 21, 2022
  3. Windows Security Smart Card popup

Hi Hoarder,

Disable Smart Card Plug and Play Service

Step 1

Hold down the "Windows" key and press "R" to open the Run dialog. Type "gpedit.msc" at the prompt and press "Enter" to open the Local Group Policy Editor.

Step 2

Expand "Computer Configuration," "Administrative Templates" and "Windows Components" in the tree browser. Double-click the "Smart Card" folder in the main window.

Step 3

Right-click "Turn On Smart Card Plug and Play Service" and select "Edit." In the Properties dialog, select "Disabled" to turn off this service and remove the smart card option from the login screen. Click "Apply" and "OK" to save your changes.

Step 4

Close Local Group Policy Editor and restart Windows to finalize the changes.

Let me know if this will work.

Thanks and regards,

RichardGuerzon, Nov 21, 2022
  4. Gary4096 Win User

Windows 10 no longer recognizes smart card

After a windows update, my smart card is no longer recognized. The smart card reader works fine, and the smart card is recognized in my other windows work station. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Gary4096, Nov 21, 2022
Thema:

1. Windows 11 smart card error - Similar Threads - smart card error

2. Smart Card error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Smart Card error: We are having a problem with smart card error. Our customers use a smart card to access private information from the government. Patients recordsUsers connect by inserting the USB key into the computer and then clicking on the government application. They are prompted for a...
  3. Smart Card error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Smart Card error: We are having a problem with smart card error. Our customers use a smart card to access private information from the government. Patients recordsUsers connect by inserting the USB key into the computer and then clicking on the government application. They are prompted for a...
  4. Smart Card error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. smart card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    smart card: I just used laplink PC Mover to transfer from one PC to a new PC. At first, everything worked fine. Then I installed a legacy scanner and had some certificate issues getting it installed Scanner is an Epson ES-500W, and since then when I open Outlook 2007 I get a pop up...
  6. smart card

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    smart card: I just used laplink PC Mover to transfer from one PC to a new PC. At first, everything worked fine. Then I installed a legacy scanner and had some certificate issues getting it installed Scanner is an Epson ES-500W, and since then when I open Outlook 2007 I get a pop up...
  7. Windows 11 smart card error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 smart card error: Recently got a new id card and tried authenticating, but it always shows this message, everything worked fine with the previous card. I have installed a lot of different smart card drivers, but nothing works.The card reader software recognizes the card and reads it properly,...
  8. Unable to login with a smart card. Error: "signing in with a smart card is not supported...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to login with a smart card. Error: "signing in with a smart card is not supported...: Hello everyone, I am writing to describe a problem I have trying to setup an Windows Domain environment for a Automation System. Normaly, in the past we did really basic Active Directry setup with policies regarding accounts, passwords, RDP, use of USB devices just standard...
  9. Unable to login with a smart card. Error: "signing in with a smart card is not supported...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to login with a smart card. Error: "signing in with a smart card is not supported...: Hello everyone, I am writing to describe a problem I have trying to setup an Windows Domain environment for a Automation System. Normaly, in the past we did really basic Active Directry setup with policies regarding accounts, passwords, RDP, use of USB devices just standard...
  10. Windows 10 Smart Card Error

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 Smart Card Error: Hello, I keep getting the following error when I boot my Windows 10 Laptop: [ATTACH] I'm not using a smart card at all - how can I make it stop please? Thanks!...