Windows 10: Windows 11 Shell Icon Overlays

Discus and support Windows 11 Shell Icon Overlays in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello,I am using a shell extension in Windows 10 that is setting an icon overlay on specified files. When the file has an Offline Attribute... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ivaylo Gugalov, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Windows 11 Shell Icon Overlays

Hello,I am using a shell extension in Windows 10 that is setting an icon overlay on specified files. When the file has an Offline Attribute System.IO.FileAttributes, System.Runtime.dll, I am relying on the default grey cross icon from Windows for these offline files:Unfortunately in Windows 11 the icon has been changed to a brown box:This makes me think that the Offline attribute that I am setting on the file is resulting to a different icon in Windows 11, perhaps the old icon has been either removed or changed with this brown box icon. Can this be confirmed and is t

:)

Ivaylo Gugalov, Mar 14, 2022
  2. Benji Win User

Shell Overlay Icons not showing in explorer

I ran into an very odd variant of an issue. I had a Windows program using shell overlay icons that were not appearing in windows explorer. What makes this odd is that they WERE showing in some "Save" and "Save As" dialog boxes (MS Office and Firefox), but weren't in others (Chrome). I had checked all the normal things, such as making sure the icons appeared first in the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

registry key. I looked at the WOW version as well. I even checked the DPI settings as suggested in this question: TortoiseSVN shell overlays only showing for medium and large icons in explorer

None of those worked, but I finally figured it out so I thought it would be nice to put up in case someone else is tearing their hair out over this. The system I ran into this on is Windows 10 and I haven't tested against older versions of Windows.

Benji, Mar 14, 2022
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Icon overlays in Windows 10

Hi,

There are currently 15 slots allotted for icon overlays in the system image list of Windows 10. 4 of these are reserved for the system, and OneDrive uses 5, leaving six slots for use by other icon overlay handlers. If more than 15 icon overlays are registered
    in the system, the extra icon overlays aren't used. This limit of 15 overlay icons applies to Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions about your computer.

----

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Yolvi Ell, Mar 14, 2022
  4. ArZi(2) Win User

Windows 11 Shell Icon Overlays

Icon overlays Windows 10

Thank you. Do you know if there's a link anywhere that includes a list of overlay icons used in Windows?

ArZi(2), Mar 14, 2022
Thema:

Windows 11 Shell Icon Overlays

1. Windows 11 Shell Icon Overlays - Similar Threads - Shell Icon Overlays

2. Overlay Icons from Shell extension not working correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overlay Icons from Shell extension not working correctly: I have a Shell Extension which changes the overlay icons for folders and files in my app folder. On Windows 10 it works as expected but on Windows 11 they are not shown/set. I don't know if this is a known issue, but I hope someone can help :...
  3. Overlay Icons from Shell extension not working correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Overlay Icons from Shell extension not working correctly: I have a Shell Extension which changes the overlay icons for folders and files in my app folder. On Windows 10 it works as expected but on Windows 11 they are not shown/set. I don't know if this is a known issue, but I hope someone can help :...
  4. Windows 11 taskbar icon overlay

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 taskbar icon overlay: Just like what's showed above. I've tried the answers in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-are-overlapping-in-windows-11-taskbar/905f5d5e-6dd3-4836-8718-282481c04a0b . Resetting scale and layout doesn't work, but when I add a new user it rightly...
  5. Windows 11 taskbar icon overlay

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 taskbar icon overlay: Just like what's showed above. I've tried the answers in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-are-overlapping-in-windows-11-taskbar/905f5d5e-6dd3-4836-8718-282481c04a0b . Resetting scale and layout doesn't work, but when I add a new user it rightly...
  6. Windows 11 Shell Icon Overlays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Shell Icon Overlays: Hello,I am using a shell extension in Windows 10 that is setting an icon overlay on specified files. When the file has an Offline Attribute System.IO.FileAttributes, System.Runtime.dll, I am relying on the default grey cross icon from Windows for these offline...
  7. Random icon overlays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Random icon overlays: I'm using just a very simple desktop which I've configured to look like Windows XP, so it is not complicated. I use shortcuts on my desktop and they should be showing an overlay a little northeast arrow indicating the icon is a shortcut. A few times daily, randomly, it...
  8. Icon overlays from shell extensions not showing in OneDrive folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Icon overlays from shell extensions not showing in OneDrive folders: I've downloaded the link shell extension, which among other things is supposed to show special icon overlays for hard links and symbolic links like this:However, these icon overlays don't show in OneDrive folders that is C:\users\myname\OneDrive and its subfolders:In the FAQ...
  9. Has MS updated the 15 shell icon overlay limit yet ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Has MS updated the 15 shell icon overlay limit yet ?: I want to install various services like Drop Box, Google Drive, etc. But on my old PC when I did this I lost all my One Drive green icons which are useful. Then I had to try and alter the regedit with all the icon numbers, etc. I know there is a 15 limit, with 3 set to MS...
  10. overlay on notification icon

in Windows 10 Support
    overlay on notification icon: Windows 10 64 bit Pro version 1511 [img] Anyone know what that circled bar is trying to tell me, there were no outstanding notifications in Action Centre pop-out. After a while I noticed it had it disappeared. As I'm writing this, I might have figured what it was....