Windows 10: Windows 11 Recognizing Blu-ray Drive as CD/DVD-ROM

Discus and support Windows 11 Recognizing Blu-ray Drive as CD/DVD-ROM in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi,I take part of the blame of this as I bought a "cheap" Blu-ray drive, but this is driving me mad. Windows 11 recognizes the drive, but only as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Rocket Red, Sep 9, 2023.

1. Windows 11 Recognizing Blu-ray Drive as CD/DVD-ROM

Hi,I take part of the blame of this as I bought a "cheap" Blu-ray drive, but this is driving me mad. Windows 11 recognizes the drive, but only as a CD/DVD-ROM. It recognizes CDs and DVDs, but not a Blu-ray. I've tried updating drivers through Windows but it insists the "best driver is installed." The drive is recognized as a Pioneer BDR-TD04 the "no-name" branding is TISHRIC, and I cannot find drivers anywhere for this drive online.Is there a way to "force" Windows 11 to recognize a drive as Blu-ray?

:)

Rocket Red, Sep 9, 2023

2. Optical drives in both Windows 10 computers recognize Blu-Ray Disks, but not DVDs and CDs

As I suddenly have the exact same issue with both my desktop and laptop, I have to believe the trouble lies in a recent Windows 10 update.

I have an internal Blu-Ray burner in my laptop and an external Blu-Ray burner connected to my desktop. Both drives read and write Blu-Ray movies, and Blu-Ray Roms, but no longer recognize DVDs or CDs of any kind, blank or recorded.

What could possibly be going on? Incidentally, the Windows 10 driver cdrom.sys is dated 6/21/2006. That is considerably older than the drives!

I have tried uninstalling the devices and rebooting several times with no change.

BruceBertrand, Sep 9, 2023
  3. Nero2016 doesn't recognize my Blu ray drive as being able to burn Blu-rays

Nero is correct in what it says, that drive, the Matshita BD-CMB UJ160, cannot write to Blu-ray discs, it can only read them... It can write to DVD and CD media. Asus support is also correct, the drive is "Blu-Ray compatible", meaning it can read Blu-Ray discs but not write to them. This is a common type of optical drive in modern laptops, hence the name "combo", it is a combo DVD-R/RW read/writer and a Blu-Ray reader.

If you look at the write capabilities, they are all "No" for Blu-ray (BD).  It can read Blu-ray, however. You are doing nothing wrong, your computer and Nero are working properly, it is just not capable of what you are trying to do.

acejavelin, Sep 9, 2023
  4. vmr907 Win User

Windows 11 Recognizing Blu-ray Drive as CD/DVD-ROM

Blu Ray Media no longer detected

I have just tried deleting the drive, rebooting and allowing Windows to assign a driver, and I am still encountering the same issue.

The drives are listed as BD-Rom Drive within This PC.

If I go to the device managers, and look at the drive's properties, it is listed in the following manner:

Device Type: DVD/CD-Rom Drives

Manufacturer: (Standard CD-Rom drives)

If I click on the driver tab, and select to view the driver it is listed as:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

It is a Microsoft driver, and the version is 10.0.10586.0 (th2_release. 151029-1700)

If I try to manually switch the driver, every driver listed is a CD-Rom driver (Misumi, Rovi 64 bit, Roxio 64 bit and Standard CD-Rom drivers).

If I click the details tab, the device description is CD-ROM Drive.

Is Windows 10 supposed to use a standard CD Rom driver for every CD/DVD/Blu Ray drive?

vmr907, Sep 9, 2023
Thema:

Windows 11 Recognizing Blu-ray Drive as CD/DVD-ROM

1. Windows 11 Recognizing Blu-ray Drive as CD/DVD-ROM - Similar Threads - Recognizing Blu ray

2. Windows 11 Recognizing Blu-ray Drive as CD/DVD-ROM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Recognizing Blu-ray Drive as CD/DVD-ROM: Hi,I take part of the blame of this as I bought a "cheap" Blu-ray drive, but this is driving me mad. Windows 11 recognizes the drive, but only as a CD/DVD-ROM. It recognizes CDs and DVDs, but not a Blu-ray. I've tried updating drivers through Windows but it insists the "best...
  3. DVD ROM drives not recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD ROM drives not recognized: My Dell Optiplex 7010 with Windows 10 won't detect either the built-in DVD ROM drive or the external drive I bought to replace it. The external drive appears in the "Devices and Printers" section of the Control Panel, but neither drive shows up in "This PC." The driver for...
  4. DVD ROM drives not recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD ROM drives not recognized: My Dell Optiplex 7010 with Windows 10 won't detect either the built-in DVD ROM drive or the external drive I bought to replace it. The external drive appears in the "Devices and Printers" section of the Control Panel, but neither drive shows up in "This PC." The driver for...
  5. DVD/CD-ROM drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD/CD-ROM drive: After Win 10 ran update on 31 May 2020, my DVD/CD-ROM drive disappeared from My PC devices. It runs if I insert a disc, but it doesn't play. Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information in the registry is incomplete or damaged. Code 19...
  6. DVD/CD Rom Drive

DVD/CD Rom Drive: I have a game on a DVD in my DVD ROM Drive & want to transfer the game to my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdcd-rom-drive/4534f767-eea6-4a7f-8bd2-379797ff54ec
  7. DVD/CD-ROM drive can't recognize disc

DVD/CD-ROM drive can't recognize disc: My optical drive is ATAPI iHAS124 F, and when I put a disc in, the disc doesn't show on File Explorer. When I try to open the disc in VLC Media Player, it doesn't load, and if I select DVD RW Drive (E:) when it has the disc, it would show the hourglass and then not respond....
  8. dvd/cd rom drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    dvd/cd rom drive: I cannot get my dvd/cd rom drive to work. I have a HP Pavilion 23-q014ld all in one computer. It says all of my drivers are up to date. I tried the pin hole to manually open the door and that doesn't work. I tried all of the steps of deleting and reloading the driver and...
  9. DVD blu ray drive

DVD blu ray drive: 16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW This is disgustingly slow when picking up CD,s dvds, and then asking me what I want to do with it. When I click on setup.exe for example, it takes about 30-40 seconds to 'wind up' and run. It must be the drivers. Its not win 10,...
  10. CD/DVD ROM not recognized

CD/DVD ROM not recognized: Hello everyone! Yesterday I inserted a CD to install driver for my new headset. The CD-R open, close normally and I also heard the CD spinning. But not thing happened in my laptop at all. I checked This PC: no CD drive (before upgraded to win 10, I had installed win 8.1 and...