Windows 10: Windows 10: upgraded motherboard and cpu. Now Windows says my license isn't valid

Discus and support Windows 10: upgraded motherboard and cpu. Now Windows says my license isn't valid in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I upgraded the motherboard and CPU on my PC.I installed the old motherboard and CPU on my father's PC.Got home, and now I'm getting "We can't activate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Carlos 379, Jun 10, 2024.

1. Windows 10: upgraded motherboard and cpu. Now Windows says my license isn't valid

I upgraded the motherboard and CPU on my PC.I installed the old motherboard and CPU on my father's PC.Got home, and now I'm getting "We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital licence or product key. .... Error code: 0xC004C003"I ran the Troubleshooter.It helpfully says: "We can't activate Windows on this device at the moment. You can try activating again later. .... 0x80070520"I go to my father's house. Put my old motherboard and CPU back in. Boot up.Windows now says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"I want t

:)

Carlos 379, Jun 10, 2024
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Jun 10, 2024
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, Jun 10, 2024
  4. Windows 10: upgraded motherboard and cpu. Now Windows says my license isn't valid

Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Redirecting

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Jun 10, 2024
Thema:

Windows 10: upgraded motherboard and cpu. Now Windows says my license isn't valid

1. Windows 10: upgraded motherboard and cpu. Now Windows says my license isn't valid - Similar Threads - upgraded motherboard cpu

2. New Windows image on same motherboard but it's saying license key isn't valid.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Windows image on same motherboard but it's saying license key isn't valid.: I acquired the license key from regedit before I imaged. Any steps I should take to make this work? It should be a Win 11 Pro license. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-windows-image-on-same-motherboard-but-its/ddecb673-9405-4f87-a316-de3712589e33
  3. New Windows image on same motherboard but it's saying license key isn't valid.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Windows image on same motherboard but it's saying license key isn't valid.: I acquired the license key from regedit before I imaged. Any steps I should take to make this work? It should be a Win 11 Pro license. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-windows-image-on-same-motherboard-but-its/ddecb673-9405-4f87-a316-de3712589e33
  4. Windows 10: upgraded motherboard and cpu. Now Windows says my license isn't valid

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10: upgraded motherboard and cpu. Now Windows says my license isn't valid: I upgraded the motherboard and CPU on my PC.I installed the old motherboard and CPU on my father's PC.Got home, and now I'm getting "We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital licence or product key. .... Error code: 0xC004C003"I ran the...
  5. Windows 10: upgraded motherboard and cpu. Now Windows says my license isn't valid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: upgraded motherboard and cpu. Now Windows says my license isn't valid: I upgraded the motherboard and CPU on my PC.I installed the old motherboard and CPU on my father's PC.Got home, and now I'm getting "We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital licence or product key. .... Error code: 0xC004C003"I ran the...
  6. I upgraded my CPU and motherboard. Now Windows isn't activated, and the troubleshooter...

I upgraded my CPU and motherboard. Now Windows isn't activated, and the troubleshooter...: Yesterday I did a long overdue upgrade of my pc, and this morning I woke up to find windows not activated. When I went to the activation page in settings and ran the troubleshooter, it says "We can't activate your copy of Windows. Make sure you're connected to the Internet...
  7. I upgraded my CPU and motherboard. Now Windows isn't activated, and the troubleshooter...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I upgraded my CPU and motherboard. Now Windows isn't activated, and the troubleshooter...: Yesterday I did a long overdue upgrade of my pc, and this morning I woke up to find windows not activated. When I went to the activation page in settings and ran the troubleshooter, it says "We can't activate your copy of Windows. Make sure you're connected to the Internet...
  8. I upgraded my CPU and motherboard. Now Windows isn't activated, and the troubleshooter...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Motherboard and CPU upgrade after failure Win10 now says I do not have a valid license key...

Motherboard and CPU upgrade after failure Win10 now says I do not have a valid license key...: Hello, My motherboard went and I upgraded the CPU during it. I now have a watermark to "Activate Windows". When that is attempted, I receive error code 0x803F7001 and troubleshooting is unable to locate my device. What can be done about this?...
  10. If I upgrade my motherboard/CPU will my digital license be valid?

If I upgrade my motherboard/CPU will my digital license be valid?: Just as the title states, I'm going to upgrade my CPU/Motherboard. I'm wondering if my windows 10 pro digital license will be able to be transferred over? In case it matters, but I'm sure it doesn't, it will be from a core2quad to an i5 8th gen, I know MS had rules/issues...