Windows 10: Windows 10 unresponsive: Chrome and file explorer not working

Discus and support Windows 10 unresponsive: Chrome and file explorer not working in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My laptop running windows 10 has become suddenly unresponsive. For example if I click one of the folder on my desktop, it tries to open it but it never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jacoscar, Sep 20, 2024 at 12:07 PM.

1. jacoscar Win User

Windows 10 unresponsive: Chrome and file explorer not working

My laptop running windows 10 has become suddenly unresponsive. For example if I click one of the folder on my desktop, it tries to open it but it never loads. If I try to open Chrome, it takes ages, other apps work fine, for example Firefox opens immediately. Out of the few I've tried, Chrome and File explorer seems to be the problematic ones. If I open another program and try to browse for a file to open, it also freezes.I've tried restoring the system to a point in time 10 days ago and it still doesn't work it was working the last few days. I've tried a memory diagnostic scan but it didn

:)

2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

3. TheHunter Win User
    Explorer, Chrome or Firefox ?

IE11 has adblock easy list too.

ie http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/trackingprotectionlists

Altohugh my no1 is still FF, the only thing that kinda sucks is it doesnt have full 1080p 60fps support @html5 (max 720p), IE11 plays that fine np.

4. Windows 10 unresponsive: Chrome and file explorer not working

Chrome glitch

Hello Ralph,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description on one of the three users Chrome is not working.
    I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• The account on which you are facing issue with Chrome, does it have the administrator permission?
    • Have you check with other browser? Was the result same?
    • Is the issue specific to only one application or facing issue with other application too?

First, I would suggest you to use Internet Explorer and see if it brings any difference.
    Here are the steps through which you can use Internet Explorer.

• Press the Windows key.

• Type Internet Explorer in the search box.

• Right click on Internet Explorer
      (Desktop app).

• Select Pint to task bar.

• Try to use Internet Explorer from there and see if it brings any difference.

If you still want to use Chrome then I would suggest you to open the application Chrome in administrator mode and see if it brings any difference. Here are the steps through which you can open Chrome in Administrator mode.

• Press the Windows key or click on Start icon.
    • Type Google Chrome.
    • Right click on Google Chrome and select the option to Run As Administrator.
    • If everything works fine by running chrome in administrator mode then you may pin it to the task bar.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Thema:

Windows 10 unresponsive: Chrome and file explorer not working

1. Windows 10 unresponsive: Chrome and file explorer not working - Similar Threads - unresponsive Chrome file

2. Windows 10 unresponsive: Chrome and file explorer not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 unresponsive: Chrome and file explorer not working: My laptop running windows 10 has become suddenly unresponsive. For example if I click one of the folder on my desktop, it tries to open it but it never loads. If I try to open Chrome, it takes ages, other apps work fine, for example Firefox opens immediately. Out of the few...
  3. Windows 10 unresponsive: Chrome and file explorer not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 unresponsive: Chrome and file explorer not working: My laptop running windows 10 has become suddenly unresponsive. For example if I click one of the folder on my desktop, it tries to open it but it never loads. If I try to open Chrome, it takes ages, other apps work fine, for example Firefox opens immediately. Out of the few...
  4. File Explorer & Task Bar Unresponsive

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer & Task Bar Unresponsive: Whenever a second user logs in on my machine, they do not have access to FIle Explorer and the Task Bar is unresponsive. I am able to fix the issue by forcing the other account to sign off in the User portion of the Task Manager. If the initial account then logs back in, it...
  5. Windows 10 Explorer unresponsive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Explorer unresponsive: When I open a file from within Word or Excel it opens fine However if I navigate to a file using Explorer it hangs and becomes unresponsive Any ideas on how to fix this...
  6. Windows 10 hangs and explorer unresponsive when clicking on PDF file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 hangs and explorer unresponsive when clicking on PDF file: Occasionally when I go to a folder to open a PDF file when I click on it the folder just freezes and becomes unresponsive. I can open the pdf file if I open the pdf software (tracker software pdf exchange editor). but if I restart it is all ok. then it might happen again...
  7. Windows Explorer unresponsive

Windows Explorer unresponsive: My windows explorer is frozen and I can't fix it. Everything seems to work except the explorer.exe. I tried restarting, sfc /scannow and the first 2 recommendations in this page but nothing worked...
  8. Windows Explorer Unresponsive

Windows Explorer Unresponsive: I am finding that, after an unknown period of time, Windows Explorer becomes completely unresponsive. I cannot open the Start menu or the task manager. The mouse pointer will move around the desktop area; but, the pointer is only what I believe is the cursor file for waiting....
  9. Chrome and explorer do not work

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome and explorer do not work: Have an issue with the 2 browsers (chrome and explorer). Chrome was working just fine today then stop working. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Did not work. The issue says that Chrome is unable connect to the internet. Windows says that I am connected to the...
  10. Windows Explorer unresponsiveness

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer unresponsiveness: I'm having strange Windows Explorer problems. Right clicking may cause it to freeze up, or attempting to load folders that contain certain file extensions (in particular .iso). Out of curiosity about it, I'd even renamed an existing file to .iso. Though the rename succeeded,...