Windows 10: Windows 10 installation Re: asking for product key during installation

Discus and support Windows 10 installation Re: asking for product key during installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I need to replace my hard disk. during installtion, it keep asking for the product key. I do not have the product key. My previous installation was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Paul Cheuk, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Windows 10 installation Re: asking for product key during installation

I need to replace my hard disk. during installtion, it keep asking for the product key. I do not have the product key. My previous installation was through the digital key, which was verified during the installation.

Kindly help.

Paul Cheuk.

:)

Paul Cheuk, Jun 9, 2020

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Jun 9, 2020
  3. ironwolf Win User
    Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Two quick ways to use your Windows 7 key during the install:

1. When asked for the serial #, put in that Windows 7 serial # and continue on. It should activate as soon as it hits an internet connection.

2. When asked for the serial #, at bottom of window click on the I don't have a serial # text (or whatever it says). It will then ask what version you want to install, ie. Home or Pro. Be sure to install the right version that matches your Windows 7 key. Then once you get into windows you can activate by putting in the key. Some people prefer this method, not sure why honestly. Easier to do #1, since the installer will see your key and know which flavor of Windows 10 you are trying to install.

ironwolf, Jun 9, 2020
  4. Windows 10 installation Re: asking for product key during installation

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Thank you, but I still want to know if I can do a clean installation of Windows with my new SSD whilst my old Windows is still installed on the other pc?

MichaelDFF, Jun 9, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 installation Re: asking for product key during installation

1. Windows 10 installation Re: asking for product key during installation - Similar Threads - installation asking product

2. Windows 10 product key not found after re-installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 product key not found after re-installation: Hi. I purchased a second-hand assembled desktop PC from a private seller. The PC was shipped via national postal service so I did not have a chance to check it beforehand and when it arrived I realized that the seller did not perform factory reset; the PC was also...
  3. Windows 10 product key not found after re-installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 product key not found after re-installation: Hi. I purchased a second-hand assembled desktop PC from a private seller. The PC was shipped via national postal service so I did not have a chance to check it beforehand and when it arrived I realized that the seller did not perform factory reset; the PC was also...
  4. Windows 8.1 product key won't work during re-installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 8.1 product key won't work during re-installation: I have a 2013 Dell XPS 14 that runs Windows 7. In 2014, I bought Windows 8.1 from Microsoft Store for upgrade. Recently, I did a PC reset due to slow boot up. Now, I cannot reinstall Windows 8.1 with the given product key. Error message "This key won't work with this edition...
  5. Windows 8.1 product key won't work during re-installation

Windows 8.1 product key won't work during re-installation: I have a 2013 Dell XPS 14 that runs Windows 7. In 2014, I bought Windows 8.1 from Microsoft Store for upgrade. Recently, I did a PC reset due to slow boot up. Now, I cannot reinstall Windows 8.1 with the given product key. Error message "This key won't work with this edition...
  6. Using Product Key for re-installation

Using Product Key for re-installation: I own a great lenovo T400 notebook. Trustworthy, with a battery still at 70% capacity. Solid. Whatever.My problem: Of course I have the genuine product key from lenovo for XP. During the years I upgraded to W7 and W10. Perfect. Recently the hard drive passed away. I put I new...
  7. Using Product Key for re-installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using Product Key for re-installation: I own a great lenovo T400 notebook. Trustworthy, with a battery still at 70% capacity. Solid. Whatever.My problem: Of course I have the genuine product key from lenovo for XP. During the years I upgraded to W7 and W10. Perfect. Recently the hard drive passed away. I put I new...
  8. Using Product Key for re-installation

9. Installation does NOT ask for key during install

Installation does NOT ask for key during install: I have a Lenovo Z510 laptop which originally came with Windows 8 Home. However, I wiped the HDD and reinstalled Windows 8 Pro using a valid key I purchase from school. Now I want to upgrade to Windows 10. Because I have a Windows 8 Pro key, I should be able to activate...
  10. Windows 10 never asks for a key during install

Windows 10 never asks for a key during install: Hello, I bought recently a new laptop (Asus UX303UA) which come with a pre-installed version of Windows 10 Home. I actually try to receive a refund for it because I have another valid key for Windows 10 Pro. I wiped the SSD and tried to reinstall Win10 but I was never...