Windows 10: WINDOWS 10 Can't associate custom app with callto or tel protocols

Discus and support WINDOWS 10 Can't associate custom app with callto or tel protocols in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; First of all let me say that we are pretty new with this "windows app" developing process. Our customers want us to develop an app working as click to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Andrea Pesci, Sep 13, 2021.

1. WINDOWS 10 Can't associate custom app with callto or tel protocols

First of all let me say that we are pretty new with this "windows app" developing process. Our customers want us to develop an app working as click to call. The app is working just fine, but we are encountering problems with that appearing in the "default apps for protocol" menus for callto and tel protocols. We are kinda clueless about the steps needed to achieve this goal. What we tried: 1 Adding the following to the manifests files. ``` <Applications> <Application Id="App" StartPage="default.html"> <Extensions> <Extension Category="windows.protocol">

:)

Andrea Pesci, Sep 13, 2021
  2. DeathShot Win User

Custom apps for protocols in Windows 10

I would like to use a custom app not listed by Windows for my HTTP and HTTPS protocols.

I've gone though the classic control panel, into Default Programs, and "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". If I select an extension I can hit "Change program..." click on the "More apps" links, scroll all the way down and then hit the "Select another app on this PC" link to open up a file browser and select any executable I wish. Those last two parts are not options for protocols, for HTTP and HTTPS (or any other protocols), I have to select one of the browsers Windows 10 thinks is a legitimate browser, which are not what I want to choose.

DeathShot, Sep 13, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    Custom apps for protocols in Windows 10

Hi, have you looked at the bottom of the list?

WINDOWS 10 Can't associate custom app with callto or tel protocols [​IMG]

dalchina, Sep 13, 2021
  4. browly Win User

WINDOWS 10 Can't associate custom app with callto or tel protocols

Can't change tel protocol handler in Windows 10

How do I run a custom command for tel: links in Windows 10?

I'm trying to open phone numbers formatted as links with dialer.exe. I was able to do this successfully with callto: links by adding the path for dialer.exe to HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\callto\shell\open\command (details here).

However, this didn't work for tel: links. This post suggested that tel: links need to be configured in HKCR\tel\shell\open\command instead, but that didn't work, either.

Trying to configure tel: links via Windows Settings or the Control Panel only gives me the options to open them in Chrome, Skype for Business, or "Look for an App in the Store". In the Control Panel, I tried in Set Associations and Set Default Programs. In the Settings app, I tried "Choose default apps by protocol".

This post suggests that I need to delete the Tel key under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Google Chrome\Capabilities\URLAssociations\, but it appears that only removed Chrome from the list of suggested apps that appears when I try to open a tel: link.

This post said I should clear HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\tel\ProgId, but that just brings up the window to choose between Skype and a Windows Store app again.

browly, Sep 13, 2021
Thema:

WINDOWS 10 Can't associate custom app with callto or tel protocols

1. WINDOWS 10 Can't associate custom app with callto or tel protocols - Similar Threads - Can't associate custom

2. Why can't I change the "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" on Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I change the "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" on Windows 11?: When I have a .jpeg attachment in email using Outlook it tries to open in the Notepad program, freezing up the program. I can't find how to stop opening it in Notepad and choose the correct Program....
  3. Why can't I change the "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" on Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I change the "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" on Windows 11?: When I have a .jpeg attachment in email using Outlook it tries to open in the Notepad program, freezing up the program. I can't find how to stop opening it in Notepad and choose the correct Program....
  4. Bulk creation of new custom file associations in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bulk creation of new custom file associations in Windows 10: Hello, this is my first post here. I use a lot of configuration files for a certain program, and when I say a lot I mean a LOT really... over 100 different file extensions, but which are actually all plain text files. I use Notepad++ to edit them, and opening them is not too...
  5. Can't change protocol association for magnet links to something else than Chrome

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change protocol association for magnet links to something else than Chrome: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Poilaucul [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jcm8u8/cant_change_protocol_association_for_magnet_links/
  6. Tel protocol default app can't choose Skype

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tel protocol default app can't choose Skype: So, I have an Excel document that I use to click on phone numbers using the Tel protocol and open skype to call them. but recently when I click on it, Windows tells me to choose a default app. The only options are Chrome, People, Your Phone, and Look for an app on the...
  7. "I can't find my app to set default app by protocol in Windows 10 setting"

"I can't find my app to set default app by protocol in Windows 10 setting": Let me explain detail my problem following- I am Network Engineer. So that's why, When I using the lab in EVE-ng and I want to be open my Xshell application as default console app but I can't set my xshell app into choose default app by protocol about URL: Telnet, URL: ssh...
  8. Associate an App in Windows 10

Associate an App in Windows 10: How do I associate my One Drive photos in order to view? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/associate-an-app-in-windows-10/d52687d3-4277-4d38-9c0a-d3ce11420104
  9. CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?

CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?: Windows 10 keeps changing icons associated with custom file extensions. It seems arbitrary because some new file types do work, others work for a while then randomly change. How to correctly create CUSTOM file extensions and have a CUSTOM icon associated to the extension?...
  10. Custom apps for protocols in Windows 10

Custom apps for protocols in Windows 10: I would like to use a custom app not listed by Windows for my HTTP and HTTPS protocols. I've gone though the classic control panel, into Default Programs, and "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". If I select an extension I can hit "Change program..." click...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to put custom app in windows apps by protocol tel