Windows 10: WIN10 Digital License will not Activate after MOBO change

Discus and support WIN10 Digital License will not Activate after MOBO change in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a WIN10 digital license. I run WIN11 Pro as a member of the Insider Program. After 6 years I built a new machine because my old PC processor was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jjsssss, Dec 27, 2021.

1. jjsssss Win User

WIN10 Digital License will not Activate after MOBO change

I have a WIN10 digital license. I run WIN11 Pro as a member of the Insider Program. After 6 years I built a new machine because my old PC processor was not WIN11 compatible. The build went fine, installed WIN10, activated no problem, and upgraded to WIN11 Pro. I started having issues with the MOBO and found a known issue between the board and processor. I ordered a new board with a different chipset and replaced. To my glee WIN11 booted fine with new board, very little configuration needed. I did have to reset my PIN due to secure boot but that was about it. Well, now WIN11 will not activate.

:)

jjsssss, Dec 27, 2021

2. Win10 License after Mobo Upgrade ?

I recently upgraded my mobo and in preparation got a digital Win10 license connected to my MS account as suggested here: How to Reactivate Windows 10 After Changing Hardware

I simply hooked my old SSD to the new mobo and Win10 took a little extra time to boot and was up and running -- not like the bad old days WIN10 Digital License will not Activate after MOBO change :) However, when I tried to activate Win10 using the digital license per the above it didn't work - there was no license for this type of device, which I assumed meant a PC. So I chatted with a MS tech and he kindly connected to my machine and activated it for me. I also went to my MS account and got a digital license for the new mobo.

However, a couple days later I noticed that I now have a product ID that ends in -AAOEM I assume this means it is an OEM license which cannot be transferred if I replace the mobo again.

I originally purchased XP in 2005 when I assembled my first computer. I took advantage of the inexpensive Win8 Upgrade to purchase Win8 Pro which became Win8.1 and then Win10 Pro, all without further payment to MS.

I assumed that because I started by purchasing XP that I had a retail license and that this retail license would propagate through all of these upgrades, allowing me to change mobo's whenever I chose. In thinking more about it, I'm wondering whether the cheap upgrade to Win8 converted my license to OEM and this tech did me a favor by allowing the mobo change. Or, should he have made the license retail?

Bottom line is I think I now have an OEM license and don't understand whether it should be a retail license or I'm a cheapskate and should just buy a new Win10 Retail license when I next change mobo's.

GadgetBuilder, Dec 27, 2021
  3. Amol S. Win User
    Changing my MOBO and CPU a

You will have to buy windows license if you change the motherboard, unless you made the computer originally in the first place, or bought a license key.

Amol S., Dec 27, 2021
  4. WIN10 Digital License will not Activate after MOBO change

Andre Da Costa, Dec 27, 2021
Thema:

WIN10 Digital License will not Activate after MOBO change

1. WIN10 Digital License will not Activate after MOBO change - Similar Threads - WIN10 Digital License

2. Re-activating a Win10 digital entitlement license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-activating a Win10 digital entitlement license: Hi,I have a Win10 system with is licensed with a digital entitlement license which I need to re-install Windows 10 on exactly the same system - I'm not trying to transfer to a new machineAccording to this article If you have a digital license for your device, you can...
  3. Re-activating a Win10 digital entitlement license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-activating a Win10 digital entitlement license: Hi,I have a Win10 system with is licensed with a digital entitlement license which I need to re-install Windows 10 on exactly the same system - I'm not trying to transfer to a new machineAccording to this article If you have a digital license for your device, you can...
  4. WIN10 Digital License will not Activate after MOBO change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIN10 Digital License will not Activate after MOBO change: I have a WIN10 digital license. I run WIN11 Pro as a member of the Insider Program. After 6 years I built a new machine because my old PC processor was not WIN11 compatible. The build went fine, installed WIN10, activated no problem, and upgraded to WIN11 Pro. I started...
  5. Remove WIN10 Digital License Activation

Remove WIN10 Digital License Activation: Hi I bought an old laptop it came with windows installed after a fresh format its still activayed I want to remove that activation and add my own key After doing some search i found out that is linked to microsoft servers and it will always use the old key after...
  6. Win10 Digital License Will not Activate After Re-install

Win10 Digital License Will not Activate After Re-install: I have a Windows 10 digital license on my account from and Windows 8 Pro upgrade. My system was having random reboots lately so I decided to reinstall. Once I logged in with my account which has the license I went to the Activation section of Settings and it is not active....
  7. Windows Activation after Hardware Change for digital license

Windows Activation after Hardware Change for digital license: Hi, I bought a digital license in February 2018. After I changed my hardware once, a year ago, i've never managed to reactivate my license on this hardware. Maybe I did something wrong myself. I paid the 280 Swiss Francs for a digital license, because I know I change...
  8. Windows activation after hardware change with a digital license

Windows activation after hardware change with a digital license: I recently upgraded my CPU and motherboard and cannot activate Windows. Before this upgrade my digital license was linked to my Microsoft account. I am logged in to my Microsoft account right now, but the troubleshooter is "Unable to activate Windows" when I select my current...
  9. Activation not working with MS digital license after Mobo swap

Activation not working with MS digital license after Mobo swap: Hello, I upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate (bought on eBay from retailer back then) and used my MS account the last year from begin with so the license was linked to it. After my mainboard died last week I had to make a move. It was around 8 years old and it's not avaible...
  10. Win10 License after Mobo Upgrade ?

Win10 License after Mobo Upgrade ?: I recently upgraded my mobo and in preparation got a digital Win10 license connected to my MS account as suggested here: How to Reactivate Windows 10 After Changing Hardware I simply hooked my old SSD to the new mobo and Win10 took a little extra time to boot and was up...