Windows 10: Will swapping to a better SSD and RAM cause me issues with secureboot and bitlocker?

Discus and support Will swapping to a better SSD and RAM cause me issues with secureboot and bitlocker? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; If I change to a new high performance SSD I am totally happy to lose 5 years of accumulated crapware and windows bloat From what research I have done,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SteveAust, Oct 7, 2024 at 10:57 PM.

1. SteveAust Win User

Will swapping to a better SSD and RAM cause me issues with secureboot and bitlocker?

If I change to a new high performance SSD I am totally happy to lose 5 years of accumulated crapware and windows bloat From what research I have done, I should get a really good performance increase for a comparatively low price just buy getting 2x16GB RAM sticks and an fast 1TB SSD. It wont cost much but it should make a huge difference! Keep in mind I don't use this for gaming or anything so no point mortgaging the house for a 4090Ti But... .and here is the most important question, Am I going to get an weird acer secure boot **** that could prevent me replacing the SSD? Or if I remove t

:)

2. Tim B 79 Win User

Recorded BitLocker Key / Swapped Drive / Permanently lost BitLocker Key?

The gist: Lenovo support recommended a drive swap (from corporate computer with broken screen to temporary one). Initially, the BitLocker key worked and now it fails. IT told me it cannot be salvaged.

Computers: Corporate Windows Lenovo ThinkPad P15 Gen2's and we use "Intune."

Steps:

1. I'm instructed by IT & Lenovo to send my computer in for repairs seemingly unrelated to the hard drive (monitor completely black with power on). Lenovo warns "ANY" repair can destroy all data and recommends a drive swap. Confirm with 3 Lenovo representatives this is okay for relative novice.
    2. Record BitLocker key and perform the swap.
    3. Restart temp computer, input key on blue screen and everything's good but Microsoft Teams.
    4. Repeat step 3.
    5. Restart temp computer, input key on blue screen and Teams works.
    6. Restart temp computer and BitLocker no longer accepts the key.
    7. Lenovo sends back fixed computer. Install original SSD. Screen is fixed, but BitLocker no longer accepts the key.
    8. My Account shows two devices -- with the same name -- associated to me. The "Inactive" one has my recorded key. The "Active" one says, "No BitLocker recovery key found for this device."
    9. IT says BitLocker keys should rotate when doing what I did. Initially, they failed to rotate -- the reason why steps 3 - 5 "worked." Then, the rotation happened -- step 6 -- but the new BitLocker key wasn't saved anywhere. I am currently assuming they would have checked something like the Azure Active Directory.
    10. Part of me doesn't believe the BitLocker key couldn't have been saved anywhere. I know what I did isn't typical for an employee, but still there have to be a lot of drive swaps in the world -- saving BitLocker keys can't be this fragile.
    I know this is long and appreciate any assistance. Have a good year in any event.

Sincerely,

Tim

3. BitLocker key cannot unlock the disk. Neither can i reinstall cause the drive is blocked

Hi Havard,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Did you try to unlock the drive using the Bitlocker application in Windows 10?
    • If yes, did you get any error message while trying that?

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if that helps:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to try unlocking the drive using the Bitlocker facility available in Windows 10 and check if you are able to unlock it successfully. If you are getting any error message with says “Application not found”, then I would suggest you
    to refer the article provided in the link below:

Windows help and learning

Method 2:

I would suggest that you try the steps mentioned in the link below and check if it helps resolve your issue.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For
    added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following link to view the article “How to back up and restore
    the registry in Windows” from the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows - Microsoft Support

(Applies to Windows 10)

For more information regarding BitLocker, you may refer the article "BitLocker Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)" from this link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507.aspx

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Oct 7, 2024 at 11:01 PM
  4. Johan45 Win User

Will swapping to a better SSD and RAM cause me issues with secureboot and bitlocker?

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Thema:

1. Will swapping to a better SSD and RAM cause me issues with secureboot and bitlocker? - Similar Threads - swapping better SSD

2. Will swapping to a better SSD and RAM cause me issues with secureboot and bitlocker?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Will swapping to a better SSD and RAM cause me issues with secureboot and bitlocker?: If I change to a new high performance SSD I am totally happy to lose 5 years of accumulated crapware and windows bloat From what research I have done, I should get a really good performance increase for a comparatively low price just buy getting 2x16GB RAM sticks and an fast...
  3. Will swapping to a better SSD and RAM cause me issues with secureboot and bitlocker?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will swapping to a better SSD and RAM cause me issues with secureboot and bitlocker?: If I change to a new high performance SSD I am totally happy to lose 5 years of accumulated crapware and windows bloat From what research I have done, I should get a really good performance increase for a comparatively low price just buy getting 2x16GB RAM sticks and an fast...
  4. RAM swap

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RAM swap: Hi i was wondering if you can help me. I recently took my PC for windows update and virus scan. I suspect they swapped my RAM because it has been slow ever since I got it. My Laptop is Lenovo L470 with intel core i5. I know my laptop was 8GB ram before I took it for a repair,...
  5. RAM swap

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RAM swap: Hi i was wondering if you can help me. I recently took my PC for windows update and virus scan. I suspect they swapped my RAM because it has been slow ever since I got it. My Laptop is Lenovo L470 with intel core i5. I know my laptop was 8GB ram before I took it for a repair,...
  6. RAM swap

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Swapped RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Swapped RAM: Recently sent my laptop for windows upgrade. I used the laptop for a few days and noticed that applications are running a bit slower than I remembered, particularly when running games. I installed a game that required 8GB of RAM and I could never run it properly without it...
  8. Swapped RAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Swapped RAM: Recently sent my laptop for windows upgrade. I used the laptop for a few days and noticed that applications are running a bit slower than I remembered, particularly when running games. I installed a game that required 8GB of RAM and I could never run it properly without it...
  9. Swapped RAM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Swapping to ssd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Swapping to ssd?: I am currently running a system with Linux running on my m.2 nvme and Windows is running on my hdd. Is it possible to have both running on the one ssd and if so how can i move the windows installation to the ssd? submitted by /u/AyeYoItsMateo [link] [comments]...