Windows 10: Will any virus survive a disk wipe?

Discus and support Will any virus survive a disk wipe? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; so I have a seller refurbished hdd. The disk might contain viruses in it. Is it safe to boot it up together with another hard drive on the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HelpMeAhhhh, May 13, 2021.

1. Will any virus survive a disk wipe?

so I have a seller refurbished hdd. The disk might contain viruses in it. Is it safe to boot it up together with another hard drive on the same computer? And is it necessary to DBANDarik's Boot and Nuke the new hdd to make sure no virus survives? Is there any chance when I connect the new hdd to my pc which has another hard drive installed, the old hard drive will sustain any damage in its files?

:)

HelpMeAhhhh, May 13, 2021
  2. Mussels Win User

boot sector virus maxtor 6E040L0

i dont even know what a guttman wipe is.

What 'virus' problem are you having?

edit: dont double post, use edits instead.

Your trojan problem isnt coming from your ram or hard drive. trojans are not a boot sector virus. What XP disk are you using, and what service pack is this disk.

Mussels, May 13, 2021
  3. DootMcGee Win User
    Disk Usage Virus, Can't Wipe PC

So, I did something stupid and got a virus on my PC that jacks the disk usage to 100%, grinding my PC's performance to a halt. The only method of removing it that I can think of is to wipe my hard drive, seeing as any antivirus I've tried wasn't capable
    of identifying the issue.

The thing is, I can't get to the part of the settings that allow me to wipe the hard drive before it kicks in. Any help?

Also, the process that Task Manager shows taking up my disk usage is almost always "System".

I've tried every solution available to me, and none have worked. Wiping my computer seems to be my only solution.

DootMcGee, May 13, 2021
  4. Will any virus survive a disk wipe?

Wiping computer

Your report suggests that your installation has suffered some damage which prevents Windows from doing a reset. In such stubborn cases I would do this:

1. Create a new media installation disk:

Windows 10 herunterladen
    2. Run setup.exe on this disk.
    It would wipe everything, including your data and all applications.

Frederik Long, May 13, 2021
Thema:

Will any virus survive a disk wipe?

1. Will any virus survive a disk wipe? - Similar Threads - virus survive disk

2. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 with AMD Ryzen 5, it's only one year and 3 days old. In April, Lenovo released a security advisory stating that their devices had 3 bios or UEFI related vulnerabilities, that allowed a virus to rewrite the SPI and deactivate the UEFI among other...
  3. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 with AMD Ryzen 5, it's only one year and 3 days old. In April, Lenovo released a security advisory stating that their devices had 3 bios or UEFI related vulnerabilities, that allowed a virus to rewrite the SPI and deactivate the UEFI among other...
  4. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Installation on my wiped hard disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation on my wiped hard disk: Hi I have a wiped hard disk and i'm getting stuck at the HP Logo or sometimes it displays a I/O error or sometimes other errors. If you read this post you will know what happened:...
  6. A Virus or Trojan or Worm That Can Survive a Factory Reset on Computer

A Virus or Trojan or Worm That Can Survive a Factory Reset on Computer: Hello, I plan on doing a factory reset on my Thinkpad X270 Windows 10 Pro laptop, but I'd like to check on certain things: I read the following on backed-up files: "In most cases, a factory reset will remove viruses. But how exactly do some manage to survive it? Wherever...
  7. Is it safe to wipe out a bitlocked disk?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it safe to wipe out a bitlocked disk?: Hello, I have an ROG device and tried to dual boot by adding a new ssd, after installation of linux mint, i tried booting back to my windows disk, but i ran into BitLocker, and looking for the bit locker recovery code in my windows 10 account to no avail not even in my...
  8. Can A Virus Survive Data Erasure on Windows 10?

Can A Virus Survive Data Erasure on Windows 10?: ??? submitted by /u/Totogogo505 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/imi9j1/can_a_virus_survive_data_erasure_on_windows_10/
  9. Reset option doesn’t wipe the disk!!

Reset option doesn’t wipe the disk!!: Hi people, um Iam currently using windows 10 and I want to fully reset my pc and remove all personel files. So I go to settings and choose the option to fully reset removing all the files option. But after the reset it wipe only the C drive and didn’t touch any of the other...
  10. DBAN disk wipe on Bitlocker?

DBAN disk wipe on Bitlocker?: My mother has an old laptop which is very slow running Win10 with Bitlocker encryption. I set it up for her in the past. She wants to get rid of it. If the drive is encrypted, do I still need to wipe the data using DBAN? The hard drive is an IDE drive, not SSD. 156381