Windows 10: Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...

Discus and support Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello everyone,I have a folder called "Test folder" as it appears in the following path: D:\Test folderand in Test folder i have other folder called... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Ahmed142, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Ahmed142 Win User

Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...

Hello everyone,I have a folder called "Test folder" as it appears in the following path: D:\Test folderand in Test folder i have other folder called "welcome - welcome", notice that the name contains Hyphen-Minus. See the following image:now, when I copy the name of the folder as it shows in the following image:and pasting the name in the searching bar as it shows in the following image:Then, it shows "No items match your search" as it shown in the following image, while I'm sure that the searching folder is exist, why that happens?

:)

Ahmed142, Apr 15, 2024

2. Editing folder names from within Explorer search results

I wanted to remove a character string from the names of all subfolders of a given folder. In an Explorer window, I entered the character string in the search box and set it running. Immediately, I got a list of all folder names containing that string. The problem: The folder names in the search results list allow you to edit them, just as in a straight Explorer directory; but as I edit the names of folders they disappear from the results list as I'd hope (because the name no longer contains the search string). However, a moment later, the folder reappears at the top of the list, in its pre-edited form. BUT, if I view the folder in a straight Explorer (outside of a search), the name shows correctly as edited. If I go back to an Explorer search and re-search the string, all the fully edited folders still appear, *in their pre-edited form*. So, I can now see these folders with their old or new names, depending on whether I browse the containing folder or browse search results.

The above happened on a OneDrive folder. I tried to reproduce it on a local folder and found a DIFFERENT phenomenon: Searching folders for a string brings up TWO results for each qualifying folder. In each pair of listings for a given folder in the search results, editing the name of one of them changes the folder name in a straight Explorer window. Editing the other version has no effect on the actual folder name. And there doesn't appear to be a way to know which is which. The folders in the search results behave as you'd expect: They disappear when edited because they no longer qualify for the search results.

Is this a known issue, or possibly related to one?

BrianBrazill, Apr 15, 2024
  3. Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name

Carlos: Thanks for your reply. What you suggest is what I have been doing. I search for folders with a specific name and get a list. Then I have to search each folder for a specific file. So it's a two step search and that's what I was trying to avoid.

I assume there are applications out there that allow for an "AND" search in Windows. I'll try that approach.

Thanks, again.

MarkMcDonough45, Apr 15, 2024
  4. pjfarr Win User

Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...

Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ??

Thanks Lance. Most of that I know already. I was asking for syntax to specifically find folders containing a certain file type i.e. photos.

For instance a search string that would in effect request: "List all folders on drive D containing photos" or "List all folders on drive D containing videos" and have just the folders containing those files, not the files themselves, listed in the results.

pjfarr, Apr 15, 2024
Thema:

1. Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says... - Similar Threads - Why searching folder

2. Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...: Hello everyone,I have a folder called "Test folder" as it appears in the following path: D:\Test folderand in Test folder i have other folder called "welcome - welcome", notice that the name contains Hyphen-Minus. See the following image:now, when I copy the name of the...
  3. Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...: Hello everyone,I have a folder called "Test folder" as it appears in the following path: D:\Test folderand in Test folder i have other folder called "welcome - welcome", notice that the name contains Hyphen-Minus. See the following image:now, when I copy the name of the...
  4. Why do the folder/file names disappear in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why do the folder/file names disappear in File Explorer?: Hello, I am having an issue where when I open File Explorer sometimes the file names will disappear when I hover my mouse over them. This goes for the Downloads, Documents, etc as well. Computer is up to date, as is system, It only happens once in awhile but when it does I...
  5. Why do the folder/file names disappear in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do the folder/file names disappear in File Explorer?: Hello, I am having an issue where when I open File Explorer sometimes the file names will disappear when I hover my mouse over them. This goes for the Downloads, Documents, etc as well. Computer is up to date, as is system, It only happens once in awhile but when it does I...
  6. Searching Windows 10 folders that contain a "." in the folder name

in Cortana
    Searching Windows 10 folders that contain a "." in the folder name: //Edited title I have a set of development folders - each root folder has names with dots in them. i.e. "Myfolder.webapi" and sometimes "myfolder.webapi.myproduct". all these are legal file names. These folders themselves contain regular files and subdirectories....
  7. Searching folders that contain dots in the name

in Cortana
    Searching folders that contain dots in the name: I have a set of development folders - each root folder has names with dots in them. i.e. "Myfolder.webapi" and sometimes "myfolder.webapi.myproduct". all these are legal file names. Each of these folders is being automatically added to the excluded list in search classic...
  8. Hyphen/Minus key not working, but Shift+Hyphen/Minus still types an underscore ' _ '

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hyphen/Minus key not working, but Shift+Hyphen/Minus still types an underscore ' _ ': Keypress doesn't work with my laptop keyboard or USB keyboard, and also does not work with the On-Screen Keyboard. Any solutions for this issue? P.S. I have tried every "just uninstall and reinstall this software" solution, it doesn't work, please only reply if you have...
  9. Explorer crashes when viewing a folder that contains .mp3 files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer crashes when viewing a folder that contains .mp3 files: When opening a folder that contains some .mp3 files, the explorer exits almost immediately. The event log has the following: Windows cannot access the file C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.ZuneMusic_10.20022.11011.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\resources.pri for one of the...
  10. Searching for files names containing symbols

in Cortana
    Searching for files names containing symbols: I have a folder containing files which I named with = in the name e.g. "Richmond Division====". They have anything from 1-6 ='s in the name. I want to be able to search for these files, say all the files with four ='s. When I try it comes up with no results. Is there a way...