Windows 10: Why is my Home Folder in File Explorer not working

Discus and support Why is my Home Folder in File Explorer not working in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I had an issue where every time I tried to open my file explorer the screen would go black for a split second and file explorer wouldn't open. So I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by cleo christie, Sep 3, 2023.

1. Why is my Home Folder in File Explorer not working

I had an issue where every time I tried to open my file explorer the screen would go black for a split second and file explorer wouldn't open. So I went into file explorer and changed the landing window from Home to This PC and it opened. So Home Window is not working at all. I tried to open it in File Explorer with another window open and it would go black for the split second and close file explorer completely. Please help, what can I do to fix this?

:)

cleo christie, Sep 3, 2023

2. Files remain in original folder after moving them to new folder in file explorer

Hi,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the File Explorer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you reset the folder settings from the
    Folder Options. This will reboot the folder’s preferences to its default state and remove any possible software conflict. To do this, you may follow these steps:

• Click Start, type File Explorer, and press
      Enter
    • On the File Explorer window, click the View tab > Options > Change folder and search options > View.
    • Under the Folder views section, click Reset Folders, and then select
      Yes to confirm.
    • Once you’re done, click OK, and then check if the issue persists.

Note: This process will remove the list of files that you recently opened.

Let us know if the suggestion works for you.

Joseph Ban, Sep 3, 2023
  3. I have added the file count column to my folder in File Explorer. However, the actual file count is not displaying.

Hi Loren,

I appreciate if you could answer a
    few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• How did you added file count column for folders in File Explorer? What are the steps did you followed?
    • When you say, "actual file count is not displaying" is this issue specific to any folder or happening with all folders?
    • Have you installed any third party anti-virus on your system?
    Meanwhile, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if this helps.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on View from navigation pane and choose Detail pane.
    Write to us with the above information and status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 3, 2023
  4. Why is my Home Folder in File Explorer not working

Windows 10 Quick Access: Folder & File Grouping (QA grouped by type, folder or file) ceased working

Actually, apologies, I spoke too soon, I rebooted (still had same issue which emerged after a Win10 crash this AM for unknown reason) then executed your suggestion (which to be clear for others was the following steps):

• Opened "File Explorer"
    • Went to View
    • Selected Options from toolbar
    • Selected Change Folder and Search Options - this opened Folder Options box
    • Selected View for View tab
    • in Folder Views box clicked on Reset Folder
    And voila, worked. Earlier try not sure why it did not work but after reboot (and with continued Quick Access issue) this worked.

WilliamFellows, Sep 3, 2023
Thema:

Why is my Home Folder in File Explorer not working

1. Why is my Home Folder in File Explorer not working - Similar Threads - Why Home Folder

2. Why my windows 11 files explorer home page doesn't work properly?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my windows 11 files explorer home page doesn't work properly?: Something wrong happen with my files explorer home page. I don't know what happened but it changed to be a list view and it looks bad . The Quick Access and Favorites Group is missing. There is no group section, just a list of my recent files. I try to change the view mode to...
  3. Home Folder In File Explorer Crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Home Folder In File Explorer Crashing: Hi! Can someone helped me with this?The only folder that crashed is the "Home" folder. I don't have issues on any other folders. I have tried clearing the cache, restarted the explorer with task manager, but nothing works. I also tried this one but, the results is not what I...
  4. Home Folder In File Explorer Crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Home Folder In File Explorer Crashing: Hi! Can someone helped me with this?The only folder that crashed is the "Home" folder. I don't have issues on any other folders. I have tried clearing the cache, restarted the explorer with task manager, but nothing works. I also tried this one but, the results is not what I...
  5. Why is my Home Folder in File Explorer not working

Why is my Home Folder in File Explorer not working: I had an issue where every time I tried to open my file explorer the screen would go black for a split second and file explorer wouldn't open. So I went into file explorer and changed the landing window from Home to This PC and it opened. So Home Window is not working at all....
  6. Home Folder In FIle Explorer Crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Home Folder In FIle Explorer Crashing: Hi, I recently had an update, and now have this "HOME" folder, however, every time I open it, it crashes/restarts the file explorer. I have thankfully changed the option of when opening file explorer, it opens on 'My PC', instead of 'Home', otherwise it was very frustrating...
  7. Home Folder In FIle Explorer Crashing

Home Folder In FIle Explorer Crashing: Hi, I recently had an update, and now have this "HOME" folder, however, every time I open it, it crashes/restarts the file explorer. I have thankfully changed the option of when opening file explorer, it opens on 'My PC', instead of 'Home', otherwise it was very frustrating...
  8. why isn't my file explorer work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    why isn't my file explorer work: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/birdleaf6000 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lxa643/why_isnt_my_file_explorer_work/
  9. Why does my file explorer not work?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why does my file explorer not work?: So I just recently got my own laptop and I wanted to see if everything was in working order. Every time I try to open File Explorer, it turns the screen white then closes itself. I dont know what the issue is, any ideas?...
  10. Why is File Explorer not working?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is File Explorer not working?: When I click to open File Explorer is just says "Working on It." Forever. The green goes all the way across and sits there just saying "Working on it". It will not open. I go out. Wait awhile, try again....