Windows 10: Why DON'T Microsoft fix the Desktop Icon shadow bug

Discus and support Why DON'T Microsoft fix the Desktop Icon shadow bug in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; There are a million things that cause the desktop icon text shadow to reappear, even when you've turn the option off in your preferences. Since this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Victoria Hunt, Dec 18, 2023.

1. Why DON'T Microsoft fix the Desktop Icon shadow bug

There are a million things that cause the desktop icon text shadow to reappear, even when you've turn the option off in your preferences. Since this bug has existed since about Windows 3 in 1990 possibly earlier and since Microsoft have been notified since about that period I know I registered the bug WAY back then and since checking the boards here Microsoft have been notified about the issue at least a couple of million times, I have a few questions:1. Doesn't Microsoft as an organisation feel slightly dirty, grubby and ashamed.2. Doesn't Microsoft care at all about users posting bugs?

:)

Victoria Hunt, Dec 18, 2023
  2. JohnG9210 Win User

Desktop Icon text is in shadow

Windows 11 just updated with latest version 22H2 (OS build 2261.2428). Now the desktop icons labels are in shadows. I checked registry and found that ListViewShadow was set to 0 (the setting to eliminate shadows. Yet the problem persists. Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this problem?

JohnG9210, Dec 18, 2023
  3. Stephen_C Win User
    Desktop icon labels have drop shadows

This is an ongoing bug which Microsoft appears to be willfully ignoring. It is definitely consistently Task View which causes the problem. Whenever I use Task View the desktop icon labels get ugly drop shadows. The only way to remove them
    is to log off and log on again. This issue has been reported ever since Windows 10 was first released! It has totally put me off using Task View. I would rather do without that than put up with these ugly shadows.

I would like to be able to switch off task view so it isn't activated accidentally by eg. snapping windows to the edge of the screen. Anybody with a suggestion of how to do this?

Otherwise, WHY DOESN'T MICROSOFT FIX THIS BUG??!! How hard can it be?

Stephen_C, Dec 18, 2023
  4. Why DON'T Microsoft fix the Desktop Icon shadow bug

Desktop font has changed appearance to shadowed-how to fix!

Hi Jan,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

You may face this issue if you have made changes in performance settings.
    I would suggest you to follow these steps and check if it helps:

• Press Windows key +X.
    • Click on System.
    • Now click Advance System Settings.
    • Under Performance click Settings.
    • Now uncheck use Drop Shadows For Icon Labels On The Desktop.

I hope this helps. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you,

Rajeshwari_Patil, Dec 18, 2023
Thema:

Why DON'T Microsoft fix the Desktop Icon shadow bug

1. Why DON'T Microsoft fix the Desktop Icon shadow bug - Similar Threads - Why DON'T Microsoft

2. Why DON'T Microsoft fix the Desktop Icon shadow bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why DON'T Microsoft fix the Desktop Icon shadow bug: There are a million things that cause the desktop icon text shadow to reappear, even when you've turn the option off in your preferences. Since this bug has existed since about Windows 3 in 1990 possibly earlier and since Microsoft have been notified since about that period I...
  3. Why DON'T Microsoft fix the Desktop Icon shadow bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why DON'T Microsoft fix the Desktop Icon shadow bug: There are a million things that cause the desktop icon text shadow to reappear, even when you've turn the option off in your preferences. Since this bug has existed since about Windows 3 in 1990 possibly earlier and since Microsoft have been notified since about that period I...
  4. Desktop Icon text is in shadow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icon text is in shadow: Windows 11 just updated with latest version 22H2 OS build 2261.2428. Now the desktop icons labels are in shadows. I checked registry and found that ListViewShadow was set to 0 the setting to eliminate shadows. Yet the problem persists. Anyone have suggestions on how to fix...
  5. Desktop Icon text is in shadow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Icon text is in shadow: Windows 11 just updated with latest version 22H2 OS build 2261.2428. Now the desktop icons labels are in shadows. I checked registry and found that ListViewShadow was set to 0 the setting to eliminate shadows. Yet the problem persists. Anyone have suggestions on how to fix...
  6. Drop shadows on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drop shadows on desktop icons: The inability to stop drop shadows has been going on for far too long. All the Microsoft responses stating the fix as checking the Drop Shadow box is ridiculous. It doesn't stop the problem. I've started to use Virtual Desktop more often and EVERY TIME I switch desktops...
  7. Icons cast shadows bug?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Icons cast shadows bug?: The icons cast shadows, although I disabled this feature in the system settings in the performance section. Strangely that after rebooting or waking up from sleep mode the shadows appear or on the contrary disappear i dont know how its works...
  8. removing desktop icon shadow

removing desktop icon shadow: This is a bug that Microsoft has protected for >5 years. "We are glad that you have chosen Windows 10. I can understand that you are facing some concern regarding personalization of your desktop. Please let me help you. July 2015" No Help at all. I never asked for a shadow...
  9. Shadow font on desktop icons

Shadow font on desktop icons: I want to remove shadow font on desktop icons in Windows 10. I have tried doing this from Advanced Settings but the shadows persist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shadow-font-on-desktop-icons/912d5448-3aa4-4d59-bb3e-add9f5021727
  10. Fix For The Desktop Icons Drop Shadows Keep Displaying Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Fix For The Desktop Icons Drop Shadows Keep Displaying Issue: Finally found why unchecking the selection box in System Properties > Advanced Settings > Performance Options > Visual Effects > "Use Drop Shadows For icon Labels On The Desktop" doesn't work to disable the drop shadows under the desktop icons. In addition to unchecking...