Windows 10: Why did my windows download on my D drive? And how do i fix this

Discus and support Why did my windows download on my D drive? And how do i fix this in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I tried to go back to windows 10 from windows 11 but when it downloaded automatic repair said “your pc did not start correctly” i go and try start up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by David_wal, Jul 24, 2024.

1. David_wal Win User

Why did my windows download on my D drive? And how do i fix this

I tried to go back to windows 10 from windows 11 but when it downloaded automatic repair said “your pc did not start correctly” i go and try start up repair and it says that i either need to put my password in which is correct but it says its wrong or it says that it failed after it restarts and the log file was D:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txtIve also tried to secure boot and other things if you know how to fix this please reach out to this.

:)

David_wal, Jul 24, 2024

2. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Jul 24, 2024
  3. D drive is showing, but access denied.

Thanks for reaching out! I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you.

To resolve the "access denied" issue on your D: drive in Windows 11, follow these comprehensive steps to diagnose and fix the problem. These steps include taking ownership, running CHKDSK, and modifying the registry.

Step 1: Take Ownership of the Drive

1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator:
      • Press Windows + X and select "Windows Terminal (Admin)" or "Command Prompt (Admin)".
    2. Take Ownership:
      • Type the following command and press Enter:

• This command will recursively take ownership of the D: drive, granting your user account the necessary permissions.
    Step 2: Run CHKDSK

1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator:
      • As in Step 1, open the Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
    2. Run CHKDSK:
      • Execute the following command:

• Explanation of parameters:
        • /f: Fixes errors on the disk.
        • /r: Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.
        • /x: Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
    Step 3: Modify the Registry to Display the Security Tab

1. Open Registry Editor:
      • Press Windows + R, type regedit, and press Enter.
    2. Navigate to the Explorer Key:
      • Go to:

3. Check or Create NoSecurityTab:
      • Look for a DWORD entry named NoSecurityTab.
      • If it exists and is set to 1, right-click on it, select "Modify", and change the value to 0.
      • If it does not exist, create it:
        • Right-click on the Explorer key, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, name it NoSecurityTab, and set its value to 0.
    Step 4: Check Disk Management

1. Open Disk Management:
      • Press Windows + X and select "Disk Management".
    2. Check the D: Drive Status:
      • Locate the D: drive and check its status.
      • Look for any errors or unusual statuses (like RAW). If the drive shows as RAW, it may need to be formatted, but only consider this as a last resort due to data loss risks.
    Additional Tips

• Update Windows 11:
      • Ensure your system is up to date by going to Settings > Windows Update and checking for updates.
    • Use Third-Party Tools:
      • Consider using third-party disk management tools like EaseUS Partition Master or similar to diagnose and repair disk errors.
    Important: Backup Data

Before proceeding with any major changes or repairs, ensure you back up any important data from the D: drive if possible. Data recovery services should be considered if you suspect severe disk corruption or hardware failure.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, the problem might be more complex, potentially involving hardware failure or severe file system corruption. In such cases, professional data recovery services may be necessary.

Please do let me know if the method I suggested works for you or if you need further assistance.

Munkhbayar B., Jul 24, 2024
  4. Why did my windows download on my D drive? And how do i fix this

Cannot access D drive since upgrading to Windows 10.

Hello Judy,

Thank you for replying quickly with the status of the issue.

Please reply to few more questions:

• Is the D: drive located on the same hard disk or on different hard disk?

• Did you have any important data saved on the
      D:
      drive?

If the D: is saved on another hard disk and you are unable to access it, I suggest you to format the drive completely and check if the issue is resolved.

To format the hard disk, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management option.

• Right click on the D: drive and select
      Format option.

• Wait for the formatting to complete and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 24, 2024
Thema:

Why did my windows download on my D drive? And how do i fix this

1. Why did my windows download on my D drive? And how do i fix this - Similar Threads - Why did download

2. How do I reconnect my D drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reconnect my D drive?: The D drive became disconnected though my C drive with Public folder and desktop are unaffected.I've tried Windows + R for diskmgmt and cmd but neither work as "Rescan disk" does not appear under Action only Help.I'd be very grateful for any advice....
  3. Why did my D drive disappear on my Windows 10 Pro.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why did my D drive disappear on my Windows 10 Pro.: Hi there,My D drive suddenly disappeared on my Windows 10 Pro. I had it last night and I no longer see it this morning. The info on cmd diskpart, list disk reads as below: Disk ###: Disk 0Status: OnlineSize: 238 GBFree: 1024 KBDyn:GpT: *Please help. How to I find my D...
  4. Why did my D drive disappear on my Windows 10 Pro.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why did my D drive disappear on my Windows 10 Pro.: Hi there,My D drive suddenly disappeared on my Windows 10 Pro. I had it last night and I no longer see it this morning. The info on cmd diskpart, list disk reads as below: Disk ###: Disk 0Status: OnlineSize: 238 GBFree: 1024 KBDyn:GpT: *Please help. How to I find my D...
  5. Why did my D drive disappear on my Windows 10 Pro.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why did my D drive disappear on my Windows 10 Pro.: Hi there,My D drive suddenly disappeared on my Windows 10 Pro. I had it last night and I no longer see it this morning. This is the screen shot of cmd is here, if this means anything. It reads:Disk ###: Disk 0Status: OnlineSize: 238 GBFree: 1024 KBDyn:GpT: *Please help. How...
  6. why did my windows deactivate itself? And how do I fix it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why did my windows deactivate itself? And how do I fix it?: I have had windows activated for a couple years on this computer, but randomly doing an update and restart through windows settings, my pc now says I need to activate windows....
  7. why did my windows deactivate itself? And how do I fix it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why did my windows deactivate itself? And how do I fix it?: I have had windows activated for a couple years on this computer, but randomly doing an update and restart through windows settings, my pc now says I need to activate windows....
  8. why did my windows deactivate itself? And how do I fix it?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  9. How do I fix my DATA D: drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I fix my DATA D: drive?: my computer has 128gb of C: drive and 1T of D: drive. I noticed when I first got it that my C: drive filled up really quickly and it didn't make much sense to me. I figured out how to direct most download to D: but its a little wonky. Every item I put into the D: end up on my...
  10. How do I set my download drive default to D:?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I set my download drive default to D:?: My PC is running Windows 10 Pro and has two drives, C: and D:. When I try to change the download location to drive D: it says I do not have the permission to do that....