Windows 10: Why can't I shrink my C drive with all of the space free?

Discus and support Why can't I shrink my C drive with all of the space free? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I wanted to create a Dual boot for windows 10 and ubuntu but when I tried to shrink my partition to create some space to install ubuntu. I couldn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by skyvol, May 30, 2023.

1. skyvol Win User

Why can't I shrink my C drive with all of the space free?

I wanted to create a Dual boot for windows 10 and ubuntu but when I tried to shrink my partition to create some space to install ubuntu. I couldn't shrink the partition even though I have a lot of storage available. Any ways to solve this? Os: windows 10.

:)

skyvol, May 30, 2023
  2. AnjaneyaH Win User

Shrinking of C Drive is Not possible

windows 8.1

i have total space of around 220 Gb in C drive which i would like to reduce and transfer the space to other drive. when i tried the 'Shrink' option, it showed available shrink of around 5Gb which reduced the C drive to 215 Gb.

How to further REDUCE the volume in C drive and Transfer the space to Other Drives?

Help me out.

AnjaneyaH, May 30, 2023
  3. Unable to shrink C: drive less that 480GB in Disk management on Windows 10.

Hello Lex,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

a. What happens when you try shrinking
    C: drive below 500 GB, do you get any error message/error code?

To create a partition or volume (the two terms are often used interchangeably) on a hard disk, you must be logged in as an administrator, and there must be either unallocated disk space or free space within an extended partition on the hard disk.

The disk space of minimum 4GB and maximum of 8GB should be dedicated to Windows 10 installation files & folders on the drive in which the operating system is installed.

I suggest you to check the possibility of shrinking the drive by 420GB in the Disk management by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management from the context menu.
    • Right click on the C: drive from the window and select
      Shrink Volume from the context menu.
    • Enter 504000 in the Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB box and click on
      Shrink.
    • Right click on the Unallocated drive which was recently created and select
      New simple volume.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions and assign the drive letter from the window.
    • After the drive letter is assigned and the procedure is complete, right click on the newly created drive and select
      Open from the context menu.
    • Check if the partition is displayed in the File Explorer.

Write to us with the answer to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same
    post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, May 30, 2023
  4. ShivamK Win User

not able to shrink C: even though there is plenty of space free

Some of windows system files got corrupted so i did recover it through recovery drive. Everything was fine until i knew that Windows C: is taking up 500GB of my disk space. I tried shrinking it but it's showing " available space on drive for shrinking
    : 0mb "..... Total space : 500gb. Used space : 40gb. Free space : 460gb. Why can't i shrink C: and make use of the free space ?. Is there anything wrong with recovery i've done ? Is there any SAFE WAY to
    shrink it ? Please give some solutions.

P.s. : Earlier (before recovery) , C: was allocated around 200gb and was working fine.

ShivamK, May 30, 2023
Thema:

1. Why can't I shrink my C drive with all of the space free? - Similar Threads - Why can't shrink

2. Can't free up space on C drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't free up space on C drive: Hi I am trying to free up space on my computer I have Windows 10 and tried transferring my files from 1T to a 5T and in the process, my C drive which is a 500 GB IS DOWN TO 9% OF MEMORY NEED HELP TRANSFERRING TO 5T AND LEAVING ON LAPTOP WHAT IS NEEDED and transferring all my...
  3. Can't free up space on C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't free up space on C drive: Hi I am trying to free up space on my computer I have Windows 10 and tried transferring my files from 1T to a 5T and in the process, my C drive which is a 500 GB IS DOWN TO 9% OF MEMORY NEED HELP TRANSFERRING TO 5T AND LEAVING ON LAPTOP WHAT IS NEEDED and transferring all my...
  4. Can't free up space on C drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I can't extend my C: drive with free space in D:

I can't extend my C: drive with free space in D:: I want to extend my C: drive by giving some of the free space of my D: drive to it in Disk Management. However, there is a partition in between....
  6. why i can't shrink my drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why i can't shrink my drive: i can't shrink my drive , it showing a limit in MB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-cant-shrink-my-drive/7b761764-fc65-4a60-91f4-d60461fffe6f
  7. why i can't shrink my drive

why i can't shrink my drive: i can't shrink my drive , it showing a limit in MB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-cant-shrink-my-drive/7b761764-fc65-4a60-91f4-d60461fffe6f
  8. Why can't I shrink my C drive with all of the space free?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I shrink my C drive with all of the space free?: I wanted to create a Dual boot for windows 10 and ubuntu but when I tried to shrink my partition to create some space to install ubuntu. I couldn't shrink the partition even though I have a lot of storage available. Any ways to solve this? Os: windows 10....
  9. Why can't I shrink my C drive with all of the space free?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why can't I shrink my C drive with all of the space free?: I wanted to create a Dual boot for windows 10 and ubuntu but when I tried to shrink my partition to create some space to install ubuntu. I couldn't shrink the partition even though I have a lot of storage available. Any ways to solve this? Os: windows 10....
  10. Free Space opn C: Drive Consistently Shrinking

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Free Space opn C: Drive Consistently Shrinking: Hello all. I've a good bit of info to get through, so please forgive me.I used to use a Seagate 2TB HDD as my primary drive, partitioned three different ways. I upgraded to a Crucial 1TB SSD about a couple weeks ago now. When I noticed some odd behavior both in the back-up of...