Windows 10: Why Can't I Add a Password to zip file??

Discus and support Why Can't I Add a Password to zip file?? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have been trying to figure out how to password-protect a zip file. I have Windows 11 Pro on new Surface Laptop 6 for Business. I have searched... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Kengar65, Jun 26, 2024 at 11:12 PM.

1. Kengar65 Win User

Why Can't I Add a Password to zip file??

I have been trying to figure out how to password-protect a zip file. I have Windows 11 Pro on new Surface Laptop 6 for Business. I have searched online, and I have used CoPilot. But the step-by-step instructions do NOT lead me to a place where I can add a password right click, properties, File Tab in Explorer no longer any sort of menu bar with that that I can find....., give it a password when asked yeah, right......Please Help!tx

:)

2. WiIfred P Win User

How set password already zip file

Unfortunately, Abdus passwords can only be created during the process of compressing the files. Any application doesn't have the option to create a password to an existing compressed folder (zip folder). I would suggest to unzip the files first and create
    a new zip file using one of the 3rd party programs that I suggested and create a password during the process.

3. Arul_D Win User
    .zip can't be set to File Explorer

Hello Kathleen,

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Type Default programs
      in the search bar and press enter

• Click on choose default programs by file type

• Select .zip
      and select File Explorer
    Also you can visit the below link Zip and unzip files.
    (Steps applies to Windows 10).

Zip and unzip files - Microsoft Support

Hope this helps. Post us with status we will be glad to help you.

4. lx07 Win User

Unzipping password protected Zip files issue

Some more testing : extraction using standard Windows only works if the zip is created using ZipCrypto encryption method.

Why Can't I Add a Password to zip file?? 203316d1536583318t-unzipping-password-protected-zip-files-issue-capture1.png

If you chose AES-256 then while 7-zip will open it, Windows built in extractor fails with this error :

Why Can't I Add a Password to zip file?? 203317d1536583428t-unzipping-password-protected-zip-files-issue-capture2.png

A bit of googling indicates WinRAR uses AES encryption so I'd suggest using 7-zip to compress/password protect your zip using the ZipCrypto encryption method.

Thema:

1. Why Can't I Add a Password to zip file?? - Similar Threads - Why Can't Add

2. Why Can't I Add a Password to zip file??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why Can't I Add a Password to zip file??: I have been trying to figure out how to password-protect a zip file. I have Windows 11 Pro on new Surface Laptop 6 for Business. I have searched online, and I have used CoPilot. But the step-by-step instructions do NOT lead me to a place where I can add a password right...
  3. Can't add a file to an existing ZIP folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't add a file to an existing ZIP folder.: I'm sure I've done this in the past, but it doesn't work now. I'm trying to drag a .pdf file to a ZIP folder. I get a circle with a \. Windows 10 and 11.See the picture for an example....
  4. Can't add a file to an existing ZIP folder.

Can't add a file to an existing ZIP folder.: I'm sure I've done this in the past, but it doesn't work now. I'm trying to drag a .pdf file to a ZIP folder. I get a circle with a \. Windows 10 and 11.See the picture for an example....
  5. Add a feature to create a ZIP archive with a password

Add a feature to create a ZIP archive with a password: Hello, if I remember correctly, you have added the native zip archive creation feature in Windows 10. Could you now add in Windows 11 22h2 the creation of ZIP archive with a password protection option like an archiver like 7zip/winrar/winzip does.It's such a basic function,...
  6. How do I add a password to a Zip file in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I add a password to a Zip file in Windows 10: I right click on the archive and select properties and then click advanced - there is NO option for encryption.Do I have to install a 3rd party package like WinRar or WinZip?...
  7. How do I add a password to a Zip file in Windows 10

How do I add a password to a Zip file in Windows 10: I right click on the archive and select properties and then click advanced - there is NO option for encryption.Do I have to install a 3rd party package like WinRar or WinZip?...
  8. How do I add a password to a Zip file in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. Password Protected ZIP Files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password Protected ZIP Files: I have some password protected ZIP files. When I open them the first time I have to enter the password. However, if it has been opened and closed, it does not ask for a password when I open it again. That is unacceptable to me. There is a reason why I have passwords on these...
  10. I Can't Download Zip files

in Windows 10 Support
    I Can't Download Zip files: I also cannot edit any of my files. I get messages saying I have to have Admin permissions. I am the Admin. I want to get a web page up and running but if I can't edit files and download zips I'm screwed. Anybody know how fix this? I hate to think I paid $800 for a...