Windows 10: Why are Windows 10 search icons of UWP Apps displayed on blue background?

Discus and support Why are Windows 10 search icons of UWP Apps displayed on blue background? in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello,I am working on the development of an UWP app. On Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.3448 the search icons of my UWP apps are always displayed on a... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Jakob Krummeich, Oct 9, 2023.

1. Why are Windows 10 search icons of UWP Apps displayed on blue background?

Hello,I am working on the development of an UWP app. On Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.3448 the search icons of my UWP apps are always displayed on a blue blackground aka "plated". For the start menu and the task bar this is not the case, i.e. they are displayed unplated with a transparent background. On Windows 11 the search icons of the same apps are also displayed unplated.What I already tried:checking with other UWP appsmanually replacing the respective icon in the windows search icon cache located in "C:\Users\{USER}\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Search_cw5n1h2txyewy\Lo

:)

Jakob Krummeich, Oct 9, 2023

2. Some Windows 10 UWP icons not displaying on search, or in settings

Some, but not all, icons for UWP apps are not displaying in search or settings. They do, however, display on the start menu when not searching. Icons for all non UWP apps display correctly, every time. UWP app icons are always present on the taskbar.

UPDATE: Many locally stored image thumbnails fail to appear in start menu search results either, no matter what image format.

The reason I have posted this as a separate question from this thread, is for the following differentiating reasons:

• Not all UWP app icons fail to display
    • The issue is specifically present on the start menu only during search
    • UWP apps never fail to display their icons on the taskbar

I have tried:

• Resetting the icon cache
    • The solution here involving the windowsapps folder
    • Creating a new user account
    • Deleting iconstream registry keys
    • Changing performance settings to save thumbnails
    • Changing default app for PNGs
    • Changing default app for all images in windows settings
    • Changing windows explorer view settings
    • Updating graphics drivers

Screenshots:

Search failing to display icon

Some icons failing to display in settings

Nathan Upchurch, Oct 9, 2023
  3. aagha Win User
    Broken icons for native Windows app search

Thanks for the suggestions @dalchina. BUT... I just figured it out. I mentioned above that I thought this had something to do with me attaching an external display. Turns out that was the culprit. Something happens with the scaling of the icons on different resolutions. I found two sources that were helpful and with some constant trying, I was able to resolve the issue: By going into Settings -> Display -> Scale and Layout, and changing the the "size of text, apps, and other items" by one notch (25%) up or down, and then back, it fixes the issue. In researching this problem, I found two solutions that suggested the same, here: - The 2nd answer here: Some Windows 10 UWP icons not displaying on search, or in settings - Super User And the 2nd method here: Fix: Icons not showing Correctly in Windows 10 Search - Appuals.com (I'm pasting the solution here in case that article is ever nuked):
    Why are Windows 10 search icons of UWP Apps displayed on blue background? 373431d1660714820t-broken-icons-native-windows-app-search-sol1.png

aagha, Oct 9, 2023
  4. Berton Win User

Why are Windows 10 search icons of UWP Apps displayed on blue background?

UWP app icons in Windows 10 build 14316 are corrupt

What I see on that Taskbar is that there's a number of programs open [in the background?] as signified by the blue bar under each. It's a feature of Win10.

I'd first try right-clicking each underlined icon and choose Close. If they go away I'd reboot to see if they come back. Is I'd be checking to see if the associated programs are set to run at Startup. Apple Mac OS X shows open programs similarly by a white dot under the icons on the Dock bar.

Berton, Oct 9, 2023
Thema:

Why are Windows 10 search icons of UWP Apps displayed on blue background?

1. Why are Windows 10 search icons of UWP Apps displayed on blue background? - Similar Threads - Why are search

2. Why are Windows 10 search icons of UWP Apps displayed on blue background?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are Windows 10 search icons of UWP Apps displayed on blue background?: Hello,I am working on the development of an UWP app. On Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.3448 the search icons of my UWP apps are always displayed on a blue blackground aka "plated". For the start menu and the task bar this is not the case, i.e. they are displayed unplated...
  3. Why are Windows 10 search icons of UWP Apps displayed on blue background?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are Windows 10 search icons of UWP Apps displayed on blue background?: Hello,I am working on the development of an UWP app. On Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.3448 the search icons of my UWP apps are always displayed on a blue blackground aka "plated". For the start menu and the task bar this is not the case, i.e. they are displayed unplated...
  4. UWP apps icon disappearing when searching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UWP apps icon disappearing when searching: Hello, I had a problem with my search icons for UWP apps, and now I finally found a way to resolve it!You would know I had this problem a long time ago, but I needed to create a new user account, and I didn't want to. Here is the post.To resolve it, you must follow these...
  5. UWP apps icon disappearing when searching

in Windows 10 Customization
    UWP apps icon disappearing when searching: Hello, I had a problem with my search icons for UWP apps, and now I finally found a way to resolve it!You would know I had this problem a long time ago, but I needed to create a new user account, and I didn't want to. Here is the post.To resolve it, you must follow these...
  6. UWP apps icon disappearing when searching

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Icons disappeared for UWP and Windows apps

in Cortana
    Icons disappeared for UWP and Windows apps: Hi there, I recently created a thread for the same: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-icons-disappeared-for-uwp-and-windows-apps-in/1e6527f6-2ff7-4216-bfc2-3b4cc074ef50. However the issue seems to have transferred from one PC to another, yesterday it...
  8. The icons disappeared for UWP and windows apps in the search field

in Cortana
    The icons disappeared for UWP and windows apps in the search field: Hello, I noticed a very peculiar issue. The icons in the search field for windows and UWP apps disappeared and now they show a blank photo icon....
  9. Windows 10 icons missing for UWP apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 icons missing for UWP apps: This problem has been bugging me for months. Right now I don't really have the option to make a new user profile or reinstall due to some parts of my very janky setup, but UWP icons are just gone. This question seems to have the same problem as me. The weird thing is the...
  10. UWP App icons sometimes don't display on taskbar.

in Windows 10 Support
    UWP App icons sometimes don't display on taskbar.: Hey everyone! I'm having an issue where various UWP app icons no longer display in the taskbar. Win32 apps all display correctly. Please see my attached screenshot for an example. I've reset the icon cache etc to no avail. Thank you! 119986