Windows 10: Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder?

Discus and support Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I right click on my files on the desktop, and look at the properties, the location isn't C:\Users\username\Desktop but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Paul Rittman, May 21, 2022.

1. Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder?

When I right click on my files on the desktop, and look at the properties, the location isn't C:\Users\username\Desktop but C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop.In the left pane inside Windows Explorer, clicking on This PC and then the Desktop link right below it, gives the location as C:\Users\username\OneDrive.Is there a way to make this simply the Desktop associated with the user account, and not OneDrive?

:)

Paul Rittman, May 21, 2022

2. OneDrive File/Folder location

I'm finding myself in a bit of a confused state about where the OneDrive folder should be. My original OneDrive folder was, by default, placed on my system drive under Desktop. I had 20GB+ of music to upload and the system drive didn't have the space to
    hold all of the files.

I asked if I could use another drive and was told yes and given an article to use as a guide.

I did as the article suggested, unlinking OneDrive and shutting it down while I prepped folders.

This I did... The new OneDrive folder was placed on my F: Drive and Called, once again, OneDrive. I then moved all my music into that folder and copied all other folders/files from the System\Desktop\OneDrive folder to f:\OneDrive. All went well, check and
    verified that I had everything, copied the original folder (Just in case) and ran OneDrive.

I signed in and when asked I said that I wanted to use a new location for OneDrive folder. I was then informed that the new location already had files, was I sure.... I clicked Accept (or something) and OneDrive took the new address with no problems.

I've done many updates/moves/deletions since then and except for a minor glitch in one folder everything seems ok

Now for the FUN part. I went to delete the old OneDrive folder from my system drive but before I did that I took a look and decided not to yet. When I use File Explorer to examine the old OneDrive folder the address bar shows a Cloud and then OneDrive. Double-clicking drops down
    a window that now reads F:|\OneDrive. It seems that windows is maintaining two sets of folders for OneDrive. One on my system drive (C:\) and one on F:\. Everything seems to be in both folders. At this time I'm not sure what to do.

All I can think of is unlink, shutdown OneDrive, do a restart and hook it all back up pointing to F:|

Any suggestions, please. Really don't want to start modifying folders/files till this resolved.

Thanks

TheOldPuterMan AKA OldManBurley

Sorry about posting here but was informed that the OneDrive forum is closed??

The Old Puter Man, May 21, 2022
  3. mystvearn Win User
    Making PC desktop path native to onedrive folder?

Hi, I am using Microsoft office 365 as part of my institution package. Is it possible for the PC desktop files to natively display a folder from the onedrive? I want to make all common C: locations to onedrive locations. So if anything happens, I always have everything sync online?

Previously I synced the locations so from "C:\user\username" to other places on the PC. Previously, I use syncback to syncfolders to Onedrive and other HD's. However, this step is just redundant. When you sync onedrive to the PC, you still need to specify a place on the PC. So from "C:\user\username\ onedrive". Technically, Onedrive still uses a physical place on the PC to store files.
    So what I did is that I specify which part of the onedrive to replace "My Documents", "My Pictures", "Downloads" folder in the quick access. I am having a problem specifying or replacing the Desktop folder. Is it possible to change my native desktop to display directly the desktop on the onedrive online? The only problem I see is application shortcuts. You cannot specify a shortcut to appear on the onedrive folder. Aside from that, I get full autosave function of MS files which is connected to Onedrive. If it is not possible to replace the desktop file, I will still use the same solution with syncback.

Thanks for the suggestions.

mystvearn, May 21, 2022
  4. Nicrite Win User

Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder?

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, May 21, 2022
Thema:

Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder?

1. Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder? - Similar Threads - Why are desktop

2. Desktop files located in a onedrive folder, tried to uninstall onedrive folder. Bad results

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop files located in a onedrive folder, tried to uninstall onedrive folder. Bad results: I tried to uninstall onedrive because I didn't want it, but now my entire desktop has been deleted. Along with a year's worth of work, custom programs for music and all sorts of stuff. I guess I really should've kept using onedrive because the last time I backed it up was a...
  3. Desktop files located in a onedrive folder, tried to uninstall onedrive folder. Bad results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop files located in a onedrive folder, tried to uninstall onedrive folder. Bad results: I tried to uninstall onedrive because I didn't want it, but now my entire desktop has been deleted. Along with a year's worth of work, custom programs for music and all sorts of stuff. I guess I really should've kept using onedrive because the last time I backed it up was a...
  4. Desktop files located in a onedrive folder, tried to uninstall onedrive folder. Bad results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  6. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  7. Why are my Desktop, Documents folder and Pictures folder in Onedrive

Why are my Desktop, Documents folder and Pictures folder in Onedrive: H.i just install windows10 on new machine and loaded my files. When I loaded the files to the documents folder they stated to sync to OneDrive. I have turned off Sync in Onedrive but if I log on to OneDrive it starts to sync again.The Desktop, the Documents folder and the...
  8. Why are my Desktop, Documents folder and Pictures folder in Onedrive

Why are my Desktop, Documents folder and Pictures folder in Onedrive: H.i just install windows10 on new machine and loaded my files. When I loaded the files to the documents folder they stated to sync to OneDrive. I have turned off Sync in Onedrive but if I log on to OneDrive it starts to sync again.The Desktop, the Documents folder and the...
  9. Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder?: When I right click on my files on the desktop, and look at the properties, the location isn't C:\Users\username\Desktop but C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop.In the left pane inside Windows Explorer, clicking on This PC and then the Desktop link right below it, gives the...
  10. Why are folders in PC (Documents, Desktop, ...) located in users/OneDrive folder as default ?

Why are folders in PC (Documents, Desktop, ...) located in users/OneDrive folder as default ?: Why are This PC folders like Documents or Pictures located in users/OneDrive folder as default location ? When I open the Documents folder properties, the target location is stored in users/.../OneDrive/Documents. Thank you [ATTACH]...