Windows 10: Where did my storage internal drive go?

Discus and support Where did my storage internal drive go? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; This is a custom built Omen and its been working just fine. Suddenly with no changes from me my second disk is missing. I use a D: disk drive for all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by spooples, Oct 27, 2024 at 11:27 PM.

1. spooples Win User

Where did my storage internal drive go?

This is a custom built Omen and its been working just fine. Suddenly with no changes from me my second disk is missing. I use a D: disk drive for all my work files. Its now missing. I've tried to locate it in the disk management area but it does not show up on rescan. This is not the first time this drive has gone missing from me, but I cannot relocate what steps I followed the first time to have it show back up. My computer is an Omen with the following about.Windows 11 ProProcessor IntelR CoreTM i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Wh

:)

2. Internal Storage Devices swap drive letters

The machine has a M.2 PCLe NVMe SSD (the system drive), an internal HDD storage drive, and an internal optical drive
    The SATA controller was set as RAID at the factory. I never enabled RAID on the system by any means to create RAID volumes.

The BIOS lets me change the SATA Controller to RAID or to AHCI.
    I recently made the change from RAID to AHCI in the BIOS using safemode boot procedure steps.

Something I didn’t expect happening during this change was the internal optical Drive and the internal HDD swapping drive letters.
    Maybe I’m being a little overly apprehensive. If the data can't be restored one day for whatever reason, would keeping the drive letters the way they are assigned now and making all new backups of personal data, and creating new DVD rescue disks, and new backup DVD’s be the more prudent step to ensure the data integrity for the lack of a better term ?

It's easy to reassign the drive letters following the excellent tutorial
    “Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10 by @Brink which offers a way for correcting this on-board SATA port redirection that maybe occurred or whatever, except.....
    every DVD burned, every personal file ever backed up on the external drive using SyncBackFree, the rescue DVD, all originally created with the opposite drive letters, draws concern of potential file unrestorability, and DVD data unreliability.

I only mention my skepticism changing the drive letter of a storage device back to what it originally was and potentially not being able to restore back ups only because some have attested that trying to restore personal files to the internal HDD lead to headaches.

Any comments and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Not to get off the subject but,
    The Storage controller driver that installed is a Standard Microsoft NVMe driver. Any suggestions on this generic driver are also very much appreciated.

3. Internal Drive+Enclosure or External Drive

Hi, I'm not very familiar with storage solutions so I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'm looking to buy a 1TB+ drive for backup. External drives seem like more elegant solutions but when I looked on Newegg many reviews seem to suggest that they are not long lived (e.g. break within weeks/months). Is this true? If so, are internal drives + enclosures better? Or do any of you have better solutions that I don't know about (like I said I'm not that familiar with the storage department). Thanks.

4. Where did my storage internal drive go?

Internal Storage devices being detected as removable devices

Hi,

I would suggest you to update your storage controller driver.

Method 1: Update Storage Controller Driver

Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Storage Controller.
    • Right-click on the Storage controller Driver
      and select Update Driver Software.
    • Wait for sometime and check if the issue persists.
    • Restart your system.
    Method 2: Uninstall and then reinstall Storage Controller driver from the Manufacturer's Website

Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Storage Controller.
    • Right-click on the Storage controller Driver
      and select Uninstall.
    • Now, go to the Manufacturer's website and download the latest storage controller driver.
    • Once the download is complete, double-click and run the setup file to complete installation.
    • Restart your system.
    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Oct 27, 2024 at 11:30 PM
Thema:

Where did my storage internal drive go?

1. Where did my storage internal drive go? - Similar Threads - Where did storage

2. Where did my storage internal drive go?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where did my storage internal drive go?: This is a custom built Omen and its been working just fine. Suddenly with no changes from me my second disk is missing. I use a D: disk drive for all my work files. Its now missing. I've tried to locate it in the disk management area but it does not show up on rescan. This is...
  3. Where did my icons go???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where did my icons go???: I have Windows 10 Pro on my PC and I have suddenly lost all of the little icons that usually sat in the bottom right corner of my monitor. Where I used to have my volume, the icon for my music program, the Safely Remove Hardware I now have nothing but the calendar and the...
  4. Where did my Bluetooth go?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where did my Bluetooth go?: I dont have anything Bluetooth when I'm in my device manager at all https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-did-my-bluetooth-go/c73a03f7-6284-41b4-b5da-18c77484179e
  5. Where did my files go?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where did my files go?: I was in the process of moving some .package files to my mods folder cc for the Sims 4, and decided to take a shower while I waited for the files to transfer. When I came back, the pc was off, and my files disappeared. I looked everywhere for them. in folders, in different...
  6. Where did my external drives go?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Where did my external drives go?: I have a Lenovo computer with Windows 10 Pro that was installed on August 24 when I bought the computer. I have 3 external drives: one 80 gb and 2 one terabyte. I have had no problem with any of the drives but yesterday one of the terabytes was no longer there and today...
  7. Where did my storage go?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Where did my storage go?: [ATTACH] Hey, maybe someone here can help me with my problem? As you can see in the picture below, my system has 256GB of storage and 185 of it are currently used. However, only about 125GB of it are really "in use". Adding up the size of all Folders on my C Drive gives...
  8. Where did my res go?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Where did my res go?: I updated my pc to find my res that I always use not there anymore submitted by /u/FoxGamzah [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hraczj/where_did_my_res_go/
  9. Where did my backgrounds go?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where did my backgrounds go?: For no apparent reason tonight my desktop wallpaper changed from a series of images that I have taken to a black screen. I opened the background settings to find a brand new layout staring at me. Digging through my C:\ drive I find no more trace of the backgrounds folder...
  10. Where did the DVD drives go

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Where did the DVD drives go: Hello! A strange one for me. The DVD drives do not show except on Device Manager or Disk Management. SO NO DVD Drives in File Manager. Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks and make sure that you have a great day! 38593