Windows 10: We couldn't complete the upgrade - upgrading from windows 11 Home to Pro

Discus and support We couldn't complete the upgrade - upgrading from windows 11 Home to Pro in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have Windows 10/11 Home installed on my machine and I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro. I am attempting to install it by going to Settings ->... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Joe G. H., Dec 28, 2023.

1. Joe G. H. Win User

We couldn't complete the upgrade - upgrading from windows 11 Home to Pro

I have Windows 10/11 Home installed on my machine and I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro. I am attempting to install it by going to Settings -> System -> Activation -> Upgrade your edition of windows -> Open Store. I then click on the install button I already purchased it and it downloads the files and restarts. However every time it gets to 98% and then it says "We couldn't complete the upgrade. No need to worry - undoing changes". Most of the information online is in regards to the windows update failing, so some of the things I tried relate to that.However I have tri

:)

Joe G. H., Dec 28, 2023

2. Upgrading to windows 11

I have a few questions about windows 11...

1. How many GB it is? when my pc suggested the upgrade yesterday, it said it's about 4GB just want to be sure.
    2. I'm using a windows 10 pro so if I upgrade, will it upgrade to a windows 11 pro?

UcheBulama, Dec 28, 2023
  3. Akara68 Win User
    How to Recover Windows 11 Pro Upgrade

If you have upgraded to Windows 11 Pro and are facing issues or problems with the upgrade, there are a few steps you can take to recover the upgrade.

Here are the steps to recover Windows 11 Pro upgrade be shared by Laptopunder15000:

1. Open the Settings app by pressing Windows key + I, and then click on "Update & Security".
    2. In the left pane, click on "Recovery".
    3. In the right pane, click on "Reset this PC", and then click on "Get started".
    4. Choose whether you want to keep your files or remove everything, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset process.
    5. Once the reset process is complete, go back to the Settings app and click on "Update & Security".
    6. Click on "Windows Update", and then click on "Check for updates".
    7. If there are any available updates, download and install them.
    If the above steps do not resolve the issue, you can try using the System File Checker (SFC) tool to repair any corrupted system files. Here's how to use the SFC tool:

1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
    2. Type "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) and press Enter.
    3. Wait for the scan to complete, and then restart your computer.
    If the issue still persists, you can try using the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool to repair any system image issues. Here's how to use the DISM tool:

1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
    2. Type "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" (without quotes) and press Enter.
    3. Wait for the scan to complete, and then restart your computer.
    If none of the above steps work, you may need to consider performing a clean installation of Windows 11 Pro.

Akara68, Dec 28, 2023
  4. JonGrimes Win User

Windows 11 Pro Upgrade from Windows 10 Pro Edition

No but after it installed the malfunctioning Windows 11 upgrade it was listed as Windows 11 Pro. Microsoft Windows support advised I reinstall Windows 10 Pro and said that Windows 11 is really only meant for new PC's that come with it preinstalled. MSI website doesn't list my 2020 GT76 Titan dt-039 notebook on their Windows 11 upgrade eligibility list so I guess that's why the Windows 11 Pro upgrade failed. I suggest being careful with trying the Windows 11 upgrade despite it stating my notebook was capable of running Windows 11 it was wrong. Luckily I have the original Windows 10 Pro USB Flash drive because the Windows 11 Pro upgrade was so incomplete I had no way of reverting notebook back to Windows 10 without reinstalling from a USB Flash.

JonGrimes, Dec 28, 2023
Thema:

1. We couldn't complete the upgrade - upgrading from windows 11 Home to Pro - Similar Threads - couldn't complete upgrade

2. no key microsoft store upgrade from 11 home to pro. "Something happened and we couldn't...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no key microsoft store upgrade from 11 home to pro. "Something happened and we couldn't...: no key upgrade from home to pro used the link through-SETTINGS - SYSTEM - ACTIVATION - UPGRADE THROUGH THE STORE option.I have purchased and have the receipt but just keeps failing after Yes lets go and leaves the try again button -Something happened and we couldn't start the...
  3. no key microsoft store upgrade from 11 home to pro. "Something happened and we couldn't...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    no key microsoft store upgrade from 11 home to pro. "Something happened and we couldn't...: no key upgrade from home to pro used the link through-SETTINGS - SYSTEM - ACTIVATION - UPGRADE THROUGH THE STORE option.I have purchased and have the receipt but just keeps failing after Yes lets go and leaves the try again button -Something happened and we couldn't start the...
  4. Can't upgrade from 11 home to pro. "Something happened and we couldn't start the upgrade"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't upgrade from 11 home to pro. "Something happened and we couldn't start the upgrade": I got a brand new computer today and it came with Win 11 Home. I went into System, Upgrade your edition of windows, upgrade in the Microsoft app, open store and purchased the Win 11 pro upgrade from the store. Every time I click install it shows, "Something happened and we...
  5. Can't upgrade from 11 home to pro. "Something happened and we couldn't start the upgrade"

Can't upgrade from 11 home to pro. "Something happened and we couldn't start the upgrade": I got a brand new computer today and it came with Win 11 Home. I went into System, Upgrade your edition of windows, upgrade in the Microsoft app, open store and purchased the Win 11 pro upgrade from the store. Every time I click install it shows, "Something happened and we...
  6. We couldn't complete the upgrade - upgrading from windows 11 Home to Pro

We couldn't complete the upgrade - upgrading from windows 11 Home to Pro: I have Windows 10/11 Home installed on my machine and I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro. I am attempting to install it by going to Settings -> System -> Activation -> Upgrade your edition of windows -> Open Store. I then click on the install button I already purchased...
  7. couldn't complete the upgrade - error for windows 11 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    couldn't complete the upgrade - error for windows 11 pro: I purchased a windows 11 pro upgrade currently running windows 11 home through the microsoft store, tried to install it and during the configuration received the "couldn't complete the upgrade" and it reverted back to windows 11 home. Tried 3 times, same result each time....
  8. couldn't complete the upgrade - error for windows 11 pro

couldn't complete the upgrade - error for windows 11 pro: I purchased a windows 11 pro upgrade currently running windows 11 home through the microsoft store, tried to install it and during the configuration received the "couldn't complete the upgrade" and it reverted back to windows 11 home. Tried 3 times, same result each time....
  9. Upgrade from Windows 11 Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from Windows 11 Home to Pro: Hi,I have the following problem.1. I bought a notebook with Windows 11 Home. Windows was activated with a personal Microsoft Account I wanted to activate it with my work account, not knowing it's not possible with thr Home edition. 2. After Windows was activated with a...
  10. Upgrade from Windows 11 Home to Pro

Upgrade from Windows 11 Home to Pro: Hi,I have the following problem.1. I bought a notebook with Windows 11 Home. Windows was activated with a personal Microsoft Account I wanted to activate it with my work account, not knowing it's not possible with thr Home edition. 2. After Windows was activated with a...