Windows 10: W10 product key reactivation after hardware upgrade

Discus and support W10 product key reactivation after hardware upgrade in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there,So I have this nice gaming PC and I'm planning to upgrade some of its hardware next month MoBo, CPU and SSD. I bought W10 from an online... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by EdhuCesar, Nov 5, 2021.

1. EdhuCesar Win User

W10 product key reactivation after hardware upgrade

Hi there,So I have this nice gaming PC and I'm planning to upgrade some of its hardware next month MoBo, CPU and SSD. I bought W10 from an online retailer back in 2016 and they shipped a small blue box with an activation key inside but I've moved twice to different apartments since then and I've lost that box. Is w10's product key linked to your MS account? After upgrading do I need to reenter my lost product key? or after logging in into my MS account my key will be reactivated automatically?Thanks.

:)

EdhuCesar, Nov 5, 2021

2. Windows 10 Product Key reactivation on new hardware

Hi guys

Sorry if this question seems repetitive but I need to know about reactivating a copy of W10 in a future system.

Basically from time to time I would build a new computer for myself, its mostly big changes to both hardware and even the case designs etc.

After upgrading my hardware I use my genuine retail copy of Windows 8.1 and it gets reactivated on the new system etc.

If any old hardware is reused to build a different system a new version of Windows will be reinstalled rather than my copy etc.

If the W10 product keys are stored to my account and say in 2 years I make big changes to my hardware, will I still have my copy of W10 and will it reactivate to a new system or what way does it work?

Also is there an ISO file of W10 available to download? In case of reinstallations and the like.

Thanks

AaronElliott, Nov 5, 2021
  3. trashbag Win User
    Reusing W10 Home product key after upgrading to W10 Pro

A long time ago I upgraded a computer from W10 Home to W10 Pro. This was a custom build and both the original W10 Home activation and the new W10 Pro activation were done via product keys ordered from Amazon.

No Microsoft account has ever been involved with either key. Back in May of this year I completely reinstalled Windows but I don't really recall if I had to reactivate the license or not.

And now I'm wondering if I could reuse the original W10 Home product key on another computer, and if it would affect the current W10 Pro activation in any way. Would the original Home product key still be tied to my main computer's motherboard or did that history get wiped when I upgraded to Pro?

trashbag, Nov 5, 2021
  4. W10 product key reactivation after hardware upgrade

Reactivate W10 Pro Purchased as an upgrade

Hi Aditya,

1. My new laptop has Windows 10 Home on it. "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account".

Note: I tried the Change Product Key option last night. My Showkey scan of my old PC gave me two product keys: an "Installed" key and an "OEM" key. If I use the Installed key if fails because I "don't have a valid digital license or product key." (0x803fa067)
    When I tried the OEM key, I get "We've activated this copy of Windows." - but it stays at W10 Home.

2. I'm signed into this new laptop with a Microsoft account. I'm 99% certain that I signed into the old laptop with a local account.

Following your steps above, I don't see a Start Upgrade option. I can try to change the product key, with the same results as before.

The receipt for my W10 upgrade purchase is stored in my MS account, but has no product keys listed.

Mark

LivelyDread7, Nov 5, 2021
Thema:

W10 product key reactivation after hardware upgrade

1. W10 product key reactivation after hardware upgrade - Similar Threads - W10 product key

2. How can I reactivate Windows after hardware change with pre-upgrade product key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I reactivate Windows after hardware change with pre-upgrade product key?: Hi, so I had Windows 7 pro which I upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period. I had some issues which meant my only option was to reinstall Windows. I also have a newer laptop that I've put my hard drive in. I did a clean install of Windows 10 from a disk I...
  3. product key needed after hardware upgrade?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    product key needed after hardware upgrade?: I do not have the original product key this was a store-bought computer from over 15 years ago. This is the second time I've upgraded my Hardware from the originally purchased computer. I had no issues after the first hardware upgrade.I've already gone to Home >Settings...
  4. product key needed after hardware upgrade?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    product key needed after hardware upgrade?: I do not have the original product key this was a store-bought computer from over 15 years ago. This is the second time I've upgraded my Hardware from the originally purchased computer. I had no issues after the first hardware upgrade.I've already gone to Home >Settings...
  5. product key needed after hardware upgrade?

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. W10 product key reactivation after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W10 product key reactivation after hardware upgrade: Hi there,So I have this nice gaming PC and I'm planning to upgrade some of its hardware next month MoBo, CPU and SSD. I bought W10 from an online retailer back in 2016 and they shipped a small blue box with an activation key inside but I've moved twice to different apartments...
  7. W10 product key reactivation after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 product key reactivation after hardware upgrade: Hi there,So I have this nice gaming PC and I'm planning to upgrade some of its hardware next month MoBo, CPU and SSD. I bought W10 from an online retailer back in 2016 and they shipped a small blue box with an activation key inside but I've moved twice to different apartments...
  8. Reactivating W10 after hardware change

Reactivating W10 after hardware change: Have been over various articles for the last ~3 hours, among other things, little of which is helpful, most of which results in going in circles looking for something you've missed. As a result, I'm likely more than a little aggravated and passive-aggressive. Iwould apologise...
  9. Reactivation after hardware upgrade

Reactivation after hardware upgrade: Hi guys, I just upgraded my PC CPU, motherboard, RAM, and SSD to be specific and having problems reactivating my Windows 10. I was using a Windows 10 home retail key brought on Amazon upgraded to pro and linked to my Microsoft account. Tried the troubleshooting and change...
  10. Reusing W10 Home product key after upgrading to W10 Pro

Reusing W10 Home product key after upgrading to W10 Pro: A long time ago I upgraded a computer from W10 Home to W10 Pro. This was a custom build and both the original W10 Home activation and the new W10 Pro activation were done via product keys ordered from Amazon. No Microsoft account has ever been involved with either key. Back...