Windows 10: Volsnap Event 36 "Shadow Copies were aborted due to user imposed limit" Confusion

Discus and support Volsnap Event 36 "Shadow Copies were aborted due to user imposed limit" Confusion in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I checked Event Viewer System logs and found a Volsnap error event with ID 36, stating that the shadow copies of my drive were aborted due to a user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by HamAndHands, Jun 19, 2024.

1. Volsnap Event 36 "Shadow Copies were aborted due to user imposed limit" Confusion

I checked Event Viewer System logs and found a Volsnap error event with ID 36, stating that the shadow copies of my drive were aborted due to a user imposed limit. I filtered the log but that was the only instance of this event that has occurred I'm not sure what this user imposed limit means, since I don't use or tinker with System Restore, it just runs because it was enabled by default. I'm not running out of disk space because I still have 1.4tb free, I have no external hard drives, and I ran a chkdsk for bad sectors, of which there were 0secondly, I clicked the Details tab of the error eve

:)

HamAndHands, Jun 19, 2024
  2. oxonsi Win User

"Shadow Copies of volume C: aborted" (Event ID 36)...

I did not see anything obviously wrong with my registry entries for volsnap and enum. Below are screen clips of registry and my system properties showing protection off for all drives.

Let me know if you see anything "off" that I may have missed. My next step will be to follow the instructions from the support forum...

Thanks!

Volsnap Event 36 "Shadow Copies were aborted due to user imposed limit" Confusion 122473d1487871144t-shadow-copies-volume-c-aborted-event-id-36-a-volsnap-reg.png

oxonsi, Jun 19, 2024
  3. oxonsi Win User

Thanks for the replies and information.

Yes, I do have Paragon ExtFS for Windows installed. It allows read / write to the ext4 file system from within Windows. I don't use it all of the time, but it installs a ParagonMounter service, which is set to automatic startup by default. The program won't work if ParagonMounter service is set to manual.

I guess that could then be the cause for the origin of the aborted shadow copies?, as well as my abnormal System Protection settings.

If that's the case, I'm not too worried about it. I don't feel a need for the shadow copies. My original intent was to address the Event ID 36 by either removing the "user imposed limit" it referenced, or disabling the shadow copies.

At this point, is there anything more I should do? I guess I could just safely ignore any Event ID 36 errors in the Windows System Event Viewer logs.

oxonsi, Jun 19, 2024
  4. oxonsi Win User

Volsnap Event 36 "Shadow Copies were aborted due to user imposed limit" Confusion

I noticed a new Error in the Windows System Event Viewer logs, one I haven't seen before. Event ID 36, Source Volsnap: "The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit."

I don't recall ever setting such a limit... I don't really need shadow copies. I've never made use of them, as I backup my computer to image files on an external hard drive.

That said, I'd like to be able to address the error one way or another.

What should I do? Details of event are below.

Thanks for any info!

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Volsnap" Guid="{cb017cd2-1f37-4e65-82bc-3e91f6a37559}" EventSourceName="volsnap" />

<EventID Qualifiers="49158">36</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-02-21T03:54:13.439234600Z" />

<EventRecordID>68672</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="5268" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP-NDLCEAK</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>
    <Data Name="DeviceName">\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy2</Data>

<Data Name="VolumeName">C:</Data>

<Data Name="NTSTATUS">00000000</Data>

<Data Name="SourceTag">164</Data>

<Data Name="SourceFileID">0x0005</Data>

<Data Name="SourceLine">2586</Data>

<Binary>000000000600300000000000240006C0A40000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

oxonsi, Jun 19, 2024
Thema:

Volsnap Event 36 "Shadow Copies were aborted due to user imposed limit" Confusion

1. Volsnap Event 36 "Shadow Copies were aborted due to user imposed limit" Confusion - Similar Threads - Volsnap Event Shadow

2. Volsnap Event 36 "Shadow Copies were aborted due to user imposed limit" Confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volsnap Event 36 "Shadow Copies were aborted due to user imposed limit" Confusion: I checked Event Viewer System logs and found a Volsnap error event with ID 36, stating that the shadow copies of my drive were aborted due to a user imposed limit. I filtered the log but that was the only instance of this event that has occurred I'm not sure what this user...
  3. Volsnap Event 36 "Shadow Copies were aborted due to user imposed limit" Confusion

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Volsnap Event 36 "Shadow Copies were aborted due to user imposed limit" Confusion: I checked Event Viewer System logs and found a Volsnap error event with ID 36, stating that the shadow copies of my drive were aborted due to a user imposed limit. I filtered the log but that was the only instance of this event that has occurred I'm not sure what this user...
  4. Shadow copy and SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shadow copy and SSD: Hello.I have an ASUS ROG with an internal ssd and a internal hdd that i use as storage.A few months ago i install O&O defrag.When try to use trim command appears a message to disable shadow copiescreation of restore points because decrease the life time of ssd!!!Is that...
  5. Shadow copy auditing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Shadow copy auditing: Hi There,I need a way for auditing shadow copy creation/deletion/restoration events. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shadow-copy-auditing/b1b5734d-245b-4b07-8cb3-8196bc7f46ba
  6. volsnap event id 95

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    volsnap event id 95: What triggers volsnap event id 95? Any way to manage volsnap behavior? Both restore points and my backup software create shadow copies. Looks like windows is monitoring the space used by shadow copies and deleting all but the newest copy with volsnap ID 95. The backup...
  7. Event Viewer System Error Volsnap

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Event Viewer System Error Volsnap: Log Name: System Source: Volsnap Date: 2/9/2020 4:27:02 PM Event ID: 27 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-4BH9KT1 Description: The shadow copies of volume D: were aborted during...
  8. Shadow Copy Windows10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shadow Copy Windows10: Hello, I update to 18860 Insider build, before that I was able to see my shadow copies in "Previous version" tab in every folder. But latest build loose my task schedules, can you help, what is right command to enable shadow copies again and show on "Previous version"?...
  9. Restore and Shadow Copy

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore and Shadow Copy: What is the difference between System Restore and Shadow Copy? I am familiar with the first, but only came across references to the second recently. 56132
  10. "Shadow Copies of volume C: aborted" (Event ID 36)...

in Windows 10 Support
    "Shadow Copies of volume C: aborted" (Event ID 36)...: I noticed a new Error in the Windows System Event Viewer logs, one I haven't seen before. Event ID 36, Source Volsnap: "The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit." I don't recall ever setting such...