Windows 10: Virtual desktop switching shortcut remapping.

Discus and support Virtual desktop switching shortcut remapping. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I remapped ctrl + win + left/right to alt + left/right key using powertoys keyboard manager but the window focus does not work for the new shortcut, is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by A.M Shafayet E Jaman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. Virtual desktop switching shortcut remapping.

I remapped ctrl + win + left/right to alt + left/right key using powertoys keyboard manager but the window focus does not work for the new shortcut, is there any way to solve this problem?

:)

A.M Shafayet E Jaman, Nov 2, 2023

2. Keyboard shortcut for changing virtual desktops does not work on Windows 11

I have the same question as Redirecting but the answer was not complete, so I am posting my own version with more information for you.

I use virtual desktops a lot.

• Expected result:
      • According to documentation, Windows Key + Ctrl + Left Arrow and Windows Key + Ctrl + Right should cycle (editVirtual desktop switching shortcut remapping. :) switch between virtual desktops left and right until it reaches the end.
    • Actual result:
      • When I press that key combination, the active window moves from the left monitor to the right monitor on the same virtual desktop. Similar to Windows-left arrow, although without the window scaling and tiling.
    • Other information:
      • I am using Windows 11 version 2H22 (os build 22621.1702)
      • I have 3 monitors with "extend desktop," so each virtual desktop has three screens (two Samsung monitors and a Wacom One)
      • Per the other post's answer from Mosken-L MSFT, I have used the onscreen keyboard (osk) to confirm the keypresses are correctly being heard.
      • If I press Windows-Tab, I do Task View with my multiple desktops, which are named. And if I press Windows-Tab and THEN Windows-Control-Left, the highlight moves left on the list of virtual desktops. I thought maybe "Enter" would then switch to the new virtual desktop, but it doesn't, it just closes Task View. However, I I can press Windows-Tab again to switch. But on Windows 10, windows-control-left/right arrow was an actual shortcut that switched directly from one virtual desktop to another without opening Task View first. A series of three shortcuts is not a "shortcut," it's actually more time consuming than using the mouse.
      • In addition, according to documentation (Multiple desktops in Windows - Microsoft Support) photo backgrounds should be specific to each desktop although solid color desktops are not, it clearly states. However, when I follow the steps on that page for Windows 11, the photo background is applied to all desktops.
    It seems like the virtual desktop feature just does not work as documented. Or has a ton of bugs. Is there a patch or update that I do not have? Is there another keyboard shortcut? Is there a keyboard shortcut manager built-in to Windows 11 where I can see if the shortcut has been assigned to some other behavior?

Jonathan Hamel1, Nov 2, 2023
  3. hzhangxyz Win User
    Several Suggestion about Virtual Desktop

- after pressing win+tab, I press ctrl+win+left/right, then It will switch different desktops, but the desktop list below will move too, it isn't reasonable.

- there is no easy shortcut to switch desktop like those to switching windows in the same desktop(win+numkey)

- There is no shortcut to move a windows from a desktop to another one.

- maybe it would be better if there is more shortcut when desktop switching, for example, after win+tab, a numkey will lead to the that desktop.

- When I use the second monitor, virtual desktop seems embarrassed, for example, printscreen will print a ugly box, and if I switch virtual desktop, that desktop in the other monitor will be switched too.

hzhangxyz, Nov 2, 2023
  4. Virtual desktop switching shortcut remapping.

App blocks switching virtual desktops

when using the shortcut for switching to the virtual desktop on the left or right.

Windows Key + Ctrl + Left/Right

This seems to be the solution / workaround for this problem. All other shortcuts / tools for switching desktops (tab view - Windows+Tab) do not work when that app is running.

Mr_Pepperman, Nov 2, 2023
Thema:

Virtual desktop switching shortcut remapping.

1. Virtual desktop switching shortcut remapping. - Similar Threads - Virtual desktop switching

2. Virtual desktop switching shortcut remapping.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual desktop switching shortcut remapping.: I remapped ctrl + win + left/right to alt + left/right key using powertoys keyboard manager but the window focus does not work for the new shortcut, is there any way to solve this problem?...
  3. Virtual Desktop Shortcuts not working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Desktop Shortcuts not working?: I have a HP ProBook x360 11 G1 EE, running Windows 10 version 10.0.18363 Build 18363. I use the virtual desktop shortcuts a lot. Recently, they all just stopped working. I can't create a virtual desktop, I can't quickly access Task View, I can't switch between them with ctrl...
  4. Virtual Desktop Shortcuts not working?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Desktop Shortcuts not working?: I have a HP ProBook x360 11 G1 EE, running Windows 10 version 10.0.18363 Build 18363. I use the virtual desktop shortcuts a lot. Recently, they all just stopped working. I can't create a virtual desktop, I can't quickly access Task View, I can't switch between them with ctrl...
  5. How to change keyboard shortcut to switch between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change keyboard shortcut to switch between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10: Virtual Desktops on Windows 10 are widely used by people to group and decentralize their computer deskwork. The application allows you to run more than one desktop interface on a single computer, for you to be able to manage multiple tasks at the same time on a single...
  6. Virtual Desktops - Custom Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual Desktops - Custom Shortcuts: It seems windows doesn't have a feature to have different shortcuts for the virtual desktops. If it's possible can someone recommend a program I can customize my virtual desktops to have different shortcuts. For example I would like Desktop 1 to be clean and then Desktop 2...
  7. Keyboard shortcut for switching Virtual Desktops no longer working

Keyboard shortcut for switching Virtual Desktops no longer working: Anyone having the same issue, or had the same issue and managed to resolve it? Did a fresh install of windows 10 to declutter my drive and it's still not working. Shortcut was 'ctrl + win + left or right cursor'. I tried different combinations alt/shift etc. None worked....
  8. Virtual Desktop Option with Separate Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual Desktop Option with Separate Shortcuts: I tried out the Task View that is built into Windows 10 to see if it would help me with separating my desktop view for the different tasks that I use my desktop for. Unfortunately it appears that it keeps the same Desktop but just organizes running applications. Outside of...
  9. Virtual desktop switch

Virtual desktop switch: Windows 10, laptop. Sometimes when I log onto my PC, the virtual desktop switches to the furthest on the right. I haven't seen anyone having the same problem, and it's bothering me. submitted by /u/grzesiu447 [link] [comments]...
  10. Virtual desktop switch

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual desktop switch: win+tab opens virtual desktop switch ... but by repeated press it again disappears instead of continuing to next desktop :/ do you know how to advance to next desktop ? by keyboard not by pointing cursor over 2nd desktop ??? (win+tab+1 .... did not worked) alt+tab -...