Windows 10: User's permission from ACL setting

Discus and support User's permission from ACL setting in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I am studying DACL and I have a question. Could someone help to explain? Thank you. I set DACL of a foler for a user as below, [ATTACH] "g3"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Eric Fan ericfan, May 11, 2020.

1. User's permission from ACL setting

Hi,

I am studying DACL and I have a question. Could someone help to explain? Thank you.

I set DACL of a foler for a user as below,

User's permission from ACL setting d5d606fb-571c-4d6a-b970-6ebf66a4f181?upload=true.png

"g3" is a group of "u3. By this setting, I could use "u3" to access this folder, and in this folder, I could not create any new file/folder, but I can deleted existing file/folder. And if there was no ACE for "g3", I could not create new file/folder and also could not delete existing file/folder. Why?

Thank you.

Elika

:)

Eric Fan ericfan, May 11, 2020

2. KB3152599 - Device Access Broker ACL Update for Win10 Version 1511

Only a idea:
    An access control list (ACL), with respect to a computer file system, is a list of permissions attached to an object. An ACL specifies which users or system processes are granted access to objects, as well as what operations are allowed on given objects. Each entry in a typical ACL specifies a subject and an operation. For instance, if a file object has an ACL that contains (Alice: read,write; Bob: read), this would give Alice permission to read and write the file and Bob to only read it.

Cluster Head, May 11, 2020
  3. Windows Folder Redirection, setting permissions with windows ACL

I'm relatively new to Windows server management. I'm trying to setup folder redirection with GPO. The file server that's getting redirected is in a LXD fedora container.

for the most part I've been following the configuration from wiki.samba.org:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs

The problem that I'm having is setting the folder shares permissions in windows server 2016. when I try to modify the Permissions for my share folder in order to give Domain Users access I get:

User's permission from ACL setting c1441bf2-27e8-42c2-9a0f-c413434131a4?upload=true.png

The same thing happens when I try to change owner or disabling inheritance.

Another interesting note is when I connect to the share server with Computer management I get this when I try to expand System Tools:

User's permission from ACL setting b489b779-af75-4af4-8bae-798790938e13?upload=true.png

After you hit OK, it proceeds to connect and I can access the shares. There is no firewall set on the file share server, but this may help figure out what going on.

I'm pretty sure this is a problem with ACL either on the windows or linux side.

while testing ACL support in my container, when I run the security test I get this:

# setfattr -n security.test -v test2 test.txt

setfattr: test.txt: Operation not permitted

To me this indicates a problem with ACL on the smb share filesystem, but again I'm relatively new to windows server management. If there are any steps to go through trouble shooting this on the windows side of things it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks again!

anthonyfortner, May 11, 2020
  4. User's permission from ACL setting

How to use powershell and set-acl to replicate permissions across folder structure and for specific extensions?

There are a set of folders and subfolders in windows containing *.dxf (many), *.add (many) and shapes.dat (1 per folder) files. These are part of a folder structure required by a software.

I need to recursively set permisions for all *.dxf and *.add to read-only while leaving individual shapes.dat files with write permission.

In the follwing link something is described that seems to help, but I see no way to refactor no enable my operation.

The commands suggested are:

I have also found a couple related questions: I've tried solving this with limited success (having to delete and restore from backup).

Any attempt will be appreciated.

A. Perez Cera, May 11, 2020
Thema:

User's permission from ACL setting

1. User's permission from ACL setting - Similar Threads - User's permission ACL

2. A question regarding whole drive permission / ACL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A question regarding whole drive permission / ACL: Hello,I was wondering what will be the response of windows -If a whole drive that has only explicit Admin Full-control with a password protected account from a pc A, is detached and re-attached to another pc B -Case I - having same User as AdminCase II - having same user not...
  3. A question regarding whole drive permission / ACL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A question regarding whole drive permission / ACL: Hello,I was wondering what will be the response of windows -If a whole drive that has only explicit Admin Full-control with a password protected account from a pc A, is detached and re-attached to another pc B -Case I - having same User as AdminCase II - having same user not...
  4. A question regarding whole drive permission / ACL

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Permissions/ACL screwed up on fresh Windows 11 install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permissions/ACL screwed up on fresh Windows 11 install: I recently did a full reinstall of Windows 11 from a USB stick. It saved my old stuff in C:\Windows.old.Since then, it seems a lot of my permissions are screwed up. I am unable to browse to C:\ in explorer at all. Task Manager brings up a UAC prompt before I can run it. I...
  6. Permissions/ACL screwed up on fresh Windows 11 install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permissions/ACL screwed up on fresh Windows 11 install: I recently did a full reinstall of Windows 11 from a USB stick. It saved my old stuff in C:\Windows.old.Since then, it seems a lot of my permissions are screwed up. I am unable to browse to C:\ in explorer at all. Task Manager brings up a UAC prompt before I can run it. I...
  7. User permission setting problem on Win10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User permission setting problem on Win10: Hi! I need some help about set permission rules for a user account on win10 in my network. Here are my questions: Is there any possibility to read out, or to show , export for later import any user credentials or access in win10? Our windows are deployed with MS AutoPilot...
  8. Move a file into a folder with a non-inherited ACL rule, the file will not inherit ACL from...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Move a file into a folder with a non-inherited ACL rule, the file will not inherit ACL from...: Hi, I have an issue to setup ACL rule correctly when I move files around folders, and it seems a Windows bug... When I move a file into a folder with a non-inherited ACL rule, the file will not inherit ACL from its parent. For example, D:\Folder has an explicit rule...
  9. Setting Users Permissions Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Setting Users Permissions Windows 10: We currently have windows 10 PC's. One is considered the main PC that has a drive (T:) in it that holds all of the data. I am attempting to configure T: to give a user (referred to as Bob the rest of the way) access to only one folder, and not let them have access to the...
  10. Is there a default for User Permission settings?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Is there a default for User Permission settings?: As a less than knowledgeable computer user I stupidly changed my User "Permission Allow" check marks. I now get a "failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access denied." Of coarse I didn't write down what was originally checked off in the "Allow" box. Would there...