Windows 10: Upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hard drive no longer recognized.

Discus and support Upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hard drive no longer recognized. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; *Thumbs UNEXPECTED SOLUTION! I was unable to get my desktop or my laptop to recognize an external samsung dvd player. It showed up in the device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Enigmatica, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hard drive no longer recognized.

*Thumbs UNEXPECTED SOLUTION!

I was unable to get my desktop or my laptop to recognize an external samsung dvd player. It showed up in the device manager in the section for usb devices but had the yellow triangle/exclamation point. A pop up window also said the device was unrecognizable. I couldn't successfully find or update the driver for it.

I tried running the troubleshooting wizard to no avail, tried adding the line to regedit that I have seen suggested a couple places and also tried rebooting several times.

I wanted to try again a week or so later but the cable was misplaced. My son had it and said he borrowed it for an external hard drive but couldn't get the hard drive recognized on his win10 pc.

I found another y-split cable in the house (for an Amazon basic external dvd player) and wa-lah, the external samsung dvd drive and the Amazon basic were both recognizable. (So I presume my son's hard drive will also now work with this cable.)

The non-functioning cable had worked with other operating systems but not with Windows 10. So I ordered a couple new Y cables from Amazon (third party brand).

Wild Blue Iris, Mar 28, 2016

2. I'm going through the same thing. I upgraded to Win 10 on the 27th of last month right after I uploaded 11 days worth of vacation photos to a segmented 8 TB hard drive. It was working fine before the upgrade but now Win 10 sees it as unallocated. I've taken it in to a shop to have it scanned but they didn't do the job right and want to charge us another $300. No thanks. I just need to recover about 150GB of .jpg and RAW images. Any good advice on how to recover them is greatly appreciated as I'm overwhelmed by the sheer number of ways to do it. All data is on the same hard drive but Windows took away the largest allocated section which used to be labeled H and now lists it as unallocated and I can't access it. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SACwarrior, Aug 8, 2016
  3. raam Win User
    Simple solution - Please try downloading latest driver for Seagate external hard drives. No need to formatting... Link: FreeAgent Go | Seagate

4. raam Win User

Upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hard drive no longer recognized.

Pls keep the seagate external driver updated on your machine with latest one. After that the machine starts detecting the external drive.... No need of chkdsk OR formatting OR anything else... worked well for me.....

Link: FreeAgent Go | Seagate

Thema:

Upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hard drive no longer recognized.

1. Upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hard drive no longer recognized. - Similar Threads - Upgrade Hard drive

2. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from 8. to 10: Downloading windows 10 from 8.1 this message pops up "This cant run on your PC' What does this mean?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-8-to-10/e8e9e65d-8325-4dc3-bca1-3ce2e1858e46
  3. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from 8. to 10: Downloading windows 10 from 8.1 this message pops up "This cant run on your PC' What does this mean?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-8-to-10/e8e9e65d-8325-4dc3-bca1-3ce2e1858e46
  4. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hard drives are no longer recognized after SSD exchange?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drives are no longer recognized after SSD exchange?: Hello everybody! I have exchanged my SATA SSD for a NVMe SSD, I also have 2TB HDDs. With the SATA SSD everything worked fine, when I switched to the NVME, the HDD harddisks were not recognized anymore, I will find them in the Bios in the Disk Manager. Even when I didn't...
  6. Computer no longer recognizes hard drives.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer no longer recognizes hard drives.: Computer froze and i had to do a "hard reboot" and now won't load. Can get to DOS prompt when couldn't do system repair or restore and now system cannot find either hard drive....
  7. Hard drive not recognized

Hard drive not recognized: Hey, I got a new hard drive today and for some reason I am unable to add it to my already existing ssd drive that my pc desktop currently runs on. I have tried going into create and format hard disk partitions and allocating the “unallocated disk” but there isn’t any drive...
  8. Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive: I'm upgrading my brothers PC from a decently bad OEM computer, but as recompense, I'm taking his 1 tb drive, and I want to transfer everything to a 320gb drive. However, the windows 10 on his computer is from the free upgrade promotion a while back, the computer originally...
  9. RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives

RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives: My custom build is now about a year old. Whe n I first set it up, I configured hardware RAID 1 and the fresh windows install worked perfect. Now after a few upgrades the drives are not seen as a RAID anymore but 1 separate drives. Funny thing is when I mounted on a...
  10. Win 10 upgrade will no longer recognize 2nd internal drive.

Win 10 upgrade will no longer recognize 2nd internal drive.: I upgraded my Dell Insperion from Win 7-64 to Win 10 home 64, and it no longer sees my 2nd internal hard drive. I tried a scan in device manager but it did not help. Any advice? 97524