Windows 10: Update to Windows 11 locked us out of husbands computer: total wipe necessary?

Discus and support Update to Windows 11 locked us out of husbands computer: total wipe necessary? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My husband updated to Windows 11, and there is now a mysterious Bitlocker key being requested. We never set one up for him. His machine is associated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SiocoLML, Jul 22, 2024.

1. SiocoLML Win User

Update to Windows 11 locked us out of husbands computer: total wipe necessary?

My husband updated to Windows 11, and there is now a mysterious Bitlocker key being requested. We never set one up for him. His machine is associated to my MS Office account, but somehow not listed as one of my devices. We have been told that the only solution is to wipe his drive. That will lose all kinds of family data and would be disastrous. Please advise.

:)

SiocoLML, Jul 22, 2024
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Update to Windows 11 locked us out of husbands computer: total wipe necessary? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jul 23, 2024
  3. Morgana Win User
    FBI Bitcoin Trojan virus, BSOD, and NTLDR missing Win 10 new install

My husband said that he tried the repair protocol that you suggested, but said that when he got to step 3. he got a message saying that the hard drive is locked.

Morgana, Jul 23, 2024
  4. Update to Windows 11 locked us out of husbands computer: total wipe necessary?

Computer stuck at lock screen and after Anniversary Update on Windows 10

Hi,

Do let us know if you are able to see any error message/ error code with locking the computer.

Let us try the below steps to unlock and check if it helps.

• I suggest you to restart the computer, try to unlock and check if the issue persists.
    • Use On-screen keyboard to type in your password and check if it helps.
    Click on the Ease of access on the lock screen at the right-bottom corner, turn on
    On-screen keyboard to type the password.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of unlocking the device for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 23, 2024
Thema:

Update to Windows 11 locked us out of husbands computer: total wipe necessary?

1. Update to Windows 11 locked us out of husbands computer: total wipe necessary? - Similar Threads - Update locked husbands

2. Update to Windows 11 locked us out of husbands computer: total wipe necessary?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update to Windows 11 locked us out of husbands computer: total wipe necessary?: My husband updated to Windows 11, and there is now a mysterious Bitlocker key being requested. We never set one up for him. His machine is associated to my MS Office account, but somehow not listed as one of my devices. We have been told that the only solution is to wipe his...
  3. Jumper Laptop totally locked out

in Windows 10 Support
    Jumper Laptop totally locked out: Hi all So yesterday I decided to reset my old laptop and do a full reinstallation, to give to my son for schoolwork. After the reinstallation was complete I discovered that windows created another account called Other user I have tried all the past passwords I have created in...
  4. windows update wipes out computer settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows update wipes out computer settings: So when is Microsoft going to fix this error? Or they just going to ignore this. your programmers need to look at this issue. Do not put this problem on the end user. FIX IT!!!!...
  5. Totally locked out of new computer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Totally locked out of new computer: Hello, I'm at my wits end and would appreciate any help. I bought a new computer a few days ago, and during the sign-up entered my microsoft hotmail email address. I entered my password which is fine and then set a pin son's birthday year. I entered this twice - pretty sure...
  6. Last update locked us out

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Last update locked us out: Last update locked us out of Win 10 and apparently our account. Got Tech Support on the phone and we tried a Safe Mode which didn't work. After a good hour they said sorry apparently we corrupted your computer, your choices are buy a new computer or see if someone can repair...
  7. Totally locked out of my computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Totally locked out of my computer: I am locked out of my PC completely the windows 10 account and the drive. I can't reset the PC. Looking to get access to my PC again. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/totally-locked-out-of-my-computer/0a2c0367-7d1b-4e54-9014-76ddc311b9e0
  8. Latest Update wiped out my computer

Latest Update wiped out my computer: The latest Microsoft Update done today 7/11/20 just wiped out all my settings. My outlook does not exist. Did not show my C drive at first but after I rebooted, I saw the C drive where my files were. All my office programs are starting from scratch and they cannot find my...
  9. Why is it necessary to provide updates that will frustrate the hell out of us?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why is it necessary to provide updates that will frustrate the hell out of us?: Why is it necessary to provide updates that will frustrate the hell out of us? I have gone to my settings and changed the icon size and not much has changed. The Firefox and Chrome web pages are huge and I cannot correct. aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!...
  10. Update wiped out computer

Update wiped out computer: Last night when I went to shut down my Surface Pro 2 it asked to install updates. This morning the computer says it lost my desktop location and all I have is a black screen with a couple icons in the task bar that do not work. The windows button does not work and even the...