Windows 10: Unable to delete/edit WindowsApps folder on an external SSD

Discus and support Unable to delete/edit WindowsApps folder on an external SSD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Issue:I have an external hard drive with a WindowsApps folder on it and I want to modify its contents, or, if that is not possible, delete it outright.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Luke Pedersen, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Unable to delete/edit WindowsApps folder on an external SSD

Issue:I have an external hard drive with a WindowsApps folder on it and I want to modify its contents, or, if that is not possible, delete it outright. I am running Windows 10 version 10.0.19044 Build 19044.Currently, when I attempt to open the WindowsApps folder on the external hard drive D: I receive this error message:"D:\WindowsApps is not accessible. Access is denied."Attempted Solutions:Changing Owner Settings for WindowsApp Via PropertiesOpening the D: drive. Right-clicking on the WindowsApps folder. Clicking on 'Properties'. Navigating to the 'Security' tab. Clicking 'Advanced

:)

Luke Pedersen, Jun 22, 2022

2. Unable to Delete WindowsApps Folder

Hi.

So I have a problem here with the WindowsApps folder.

Long story short, I've bought Forza Horizon 5 which could already be played today. Since Microsoft Store default location is in C:/, I changed the directory to D:/ in Setting - Storage - Where the content is saved because I don't have enough space in C:/

Now here is the problem: The first time it successfully downloaded and I could played it normally. I decided to reboot my system because I need to update my graphics driver and BAM! Microsoft Store and XBOX app still listed it as installed but whenever I tried to play it now it says the game is missing. Ms Store recommends me to "repair" the game by redownloading it, but now it gives me error 0x80070003 which is "The system cannot find the path specified".

Tried to find the solution everywhere but no avail, I decided to uninstall the game from the Ms Store, now listed as uninstalled, but the disk space isn't recovered.

The WindowsApps folder in D:/ still has 110GB files in it, and whenever I tried to delete it Windows denied me. Now I know that this folder isn't owned by me so I decided to take ownership it. Done but I still can't delete the folder. Maybe I need more permission? So I decided to give myself full permission setting. Now here is the problem: Setting permission of the folder gives me the same error message as the first said that "The system cannot find the path specified". WTF???

Already tried other method such as running cmd as System using psexec, trying to delete the folder from Ubuntu, trying to compress them using WinRaR or WinZip but no avail at all. All of them either said Permission Denied or the System cannot find the path specified.

How am I supposed to delete this folder then? The game already uninstalled, but I didn't get back my SSD space.

Here are some of the screenshots of my useless effort:

Unable to delete/edit WindowsApps folder on an external SSD [​IMG]

My Windows is 20H2 19042.870

Akip Tsaqif, Jun 22, 2022
  3. Unable to Delete WindowsApps Folder

I mean the permission screenshot.

Well, I have too frustrated right now so I decided to just format the drive. It solves the main problem about the undeletable WindowsApps folder. But I still can't set my D:/ drive as my new Microsoft Store storage with the same error code as before, even though the drive is already fully formatted. Here is the new screenshots:

Akip Tsaqif, Jun 22, 2022
  4. steve_750 Win User

Unable to delete/edit WindowsApps folder on an external SSD

RETRIEVE FILES FROM WINDOWSAPP EXTERNAL DRIVE

I discovered a "windowsapp" folder that unknowingly appeared on an external drive after I inadvertently moved a folder into it. I an not concerned about any of the window files, but I need to retrieve the folder with many of
    my own files. I have been unable to access, move or edit the "windowsapp" folder.

I am concerned windows will automatically attempt to restore this folder by replacing "old" windows files with "new" window files, and the folder moved into it by accident, gets deleted in the process, etc.

How can I extract or access my files from the windowsapp folder on my external drive?

steve_750, Jun 22, 2022
Thema:

Unable to delete/edit WindowsApps folder on an external SSD

1. Unable to delete/edit WindowsApps folder on an external SSD - Similar Threads - Unable delete edit

2. Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder: I used to use the desktop Xbox app. I no longer do and it has left a 25GB folder on my drive that I can't delete. I've taken ownership of the folder, which was a hastle in the first place, but now even after taking ownership I can't delete it or it's contents. I've tried...
  3. Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder: I used to use the desktop Xbox app. I no longer do and it has left a 25GB folder on my drive that I can't delete. I've taken ownership of the folder, which was a hastle in the first place, but now even after taking ownership I can't delete it or it's contents. I've tried...
  4. Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to delete/edit WindowsApps folder on an external SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete/edit WindowsApps folder on an external SSD: Issue:I have an external hard drive with a WindowsApps folder on it and I want to modify its contents, or, if that is not possible, delete it outright. I am running Windows 10 version 10.0.19044 Build 19044.Currently, when I attempt to open the WindowsApps folder on the...
  6. Unable to delete/edit WindowsApps folder on an external SSD

Unable to delete/edit WindowsApps folder on an external SSD: Issue:I have an external hard drive with a WindowsApps folder on it and I want to modify its contents, or, if that is not possible, delete it outright. I am running Windows 10 version 10.0.19044 Build 19044.Currently, when I attempt to open the WindowsApps folder on the...
  7. Unable to copy/delete/edit data in WindowsApps game folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to copy/delete/edit data in WindowsApps game folder: When trying to delete or edit a file at WindowsApps->Microsoft.SomeGame->Data, It gives the "You'll need to provide administrator permission" dialog.The only option that works seems to be using "IobitUnlocker".No one seems to know how to do this manually. altho it certainly...
  8. Unable to copy/delete/edit data in WindowsApps game folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to copy/delete/edit data in WindowsApps game folder: When trying to delete or edit a file at WindowsApps->Microsoft.SomeGame->Data, It gives the "You'll need to provide administrator permission" dialog.The only option that works seems to be using "IobitUnlocker".No one seems to know how to do this manually. altho it certainly...
  9. Unable to copy/delete/edit data in WindowsApps game folder

10. Help, Unable to delete WindowsApp folder

Help, Unable to delete WindowsApp folder: This issue has plague me ever since I started using Microsoft Store Apps and Xbox on Windows 10 I wasn't able to make any changes to the folder even after taking over ownership/removing trusted seller/everyone aside from myself/giving full control to...