Windows 10: Unable to cut/copy files from external drive

Discus and support Unable to cut/copy files from external drive in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Coundnt transfer files from my USB 3.0 external drive. after certain time, its transfer speed fell to 0. And this problem happens on this specific... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Tanvir Anoy, Sep 23, 2023.

1. Unable to cut/copy files from external drive

Coundnt transfer files from my USB 3.0 external drive. after certain time, its transfer speed fell to 0. And this problem happens on this specific drive.Here, 1. I have tried with different windows PC's with different files in different locations.2. keep it transferring for 12 hours and its just stuck.3. run troubleshooting, but it says all is ok.4. check using MRT & command-promote but it also says all is ok.

:)

Tanvir Anoy, Sep 23, 2023
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Regarding copying of files in external drive from pc

Hi,

The message that appeared on your screen may have occurred due to the possible missing files if you'll try to copy it that way. We suggest that you follow these steps on how you can copy the file together with it's properties:

• Right click on the application (Bully) and click Properties.
    • On the application properties window, under the Shortcut tab, click
      Open File Location.
    • The File Location window will open.
    • Select everything. Copy and paste it to the external drive.
    • The copying process may take a while depending on the type of files.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Sep 23, 2023
  3. Cannot copy files from external drive

Hi,

Thank you for replying back to us.

1. Did you try to create a new user account and try to copy the files from your external drive to your computer?
    2. What is the location that you are trying to past the file? For example, are you pasting the files from your external drive to your Desktop, Documents, or somewhere else?
    3. Are you able to copy the same files from the external drive to the some other PC?
    4. Are the files write protected on your external drive?

Meanwhile, try the below troubleshooting steps.

Step 1: Go to the destination folder on your computer, where you are trying to copy the files from your external drive. Let’s create a
    New Folder on your desktop.

Step 2: Double click on New Folder from your desktop and
    Right Click on some blank space and click on Properties
    and go to General tab.

Step 3: Under Attributes, completely uncheck the
    Read-only option. (The box should be blank, check it again if it has a checkmark or a small square inside it).

Step 3: Click on Apply and
    OK

Step 4: Now, open one of the files on your external drive and do the same, i.e.,
    Right Click on a file (NOT THE FOLDER) >
    Properties
    > General and under Attributes, uncheck
    Read-only option.

Step 5: Click on Apply and
    OK

Now, see if you are able to copy this file from your external drive to your computer.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Sep 23, 2023
  4. Gino Des Win User

Unable to cut/copy files from external drive

Unable to copy or del from external drive

Hi Kinjal,

Regarding your issue with the Recycle Bin, you can use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files. For steps on how to run the System File Checker tool, check the following link:

Use the System File Checker tool

Regarding your issue with needing special permissions when deleting or copying files from your phone to any external drive, let's try to isolate the issue by providing us the information below:

• Are your phone and external drive connected to your computer at the same time?
    • Have you tried copying the files first to your computer then to the external drive?
    • What is the exact error message that you receive when deleting or copying files?
    • What is the name and model of your phone?

Looking forward to your response.

Gino Des, Sep 23, 2023
Thema:

Unable to cut/copy files from external drive

1. Unable to cut/copy files from external drive - Similar Threads - Unable cut copy

2. Unable to copy to an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to copy to an external drive: I have an external drive that I have used many times for storage; i.e., moving files from my desktop to the external drive. Now when I try to move files there, I get a message saying "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain...
  3. Unable to copy to an external drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to copy to an external drive: I have an external drive that I have used many times for storage; i.e., moving files from my desktop to the external drive. Now when I try to move files there, I get a message saying "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain...
  4. Unable to cut/copy files from external drive

Unable to cut/copy files from external drive: Coundnt transfer files from my USB 3.0 external drive. after certain time, its transfer speed fell to 0. And this problem happens on this specific drive.Here, 1. I have tried with different windows PC's with different files in different locations.2. keep it transferring for...
  5. Unable to cut/copy files from external drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to cut/copy files from external drive: Coundnt transfer files from my USB 3.0 external drive. after certain time, its transfer speed fell to 0. And this problem happens on this specific drive.Here, 1. I have tried with different windows PC's with different files in different locations.2. keep it transferring for...
  6. Unable to copy files from C drive to external hardrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to copy files from C drive to external hardrive: my c drive was low on storage so when i tried to clear up some space by copying the files to the hard drive i get a message saying that its unable to copy the files because the c drive is low on storage. The computer somehow thinks that i am trying to copy the files to the C...
  7. Unable to copy files from C drive to external hardrive

Unable to copy files from C drive to external hardrive: my c drive was low on storage so when i tried to clear up some space by copying the files to the hard drive i get a message saying that its unable to copy the files because the c drive is low on storage. The computer somehow thinks that i am trying to copy the files to the C...
  8. Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.: Hello,Im in the process of trying to sell my desktop unit but I need to get the computer info a fit enough state for anyone to take it. The main drawback I have is that for some reason I am unable to copy files from my external hard drive to the c drive. For some files it...
  9. Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.: Hello,Im in the process of trying to sell my desktop unit but I need to get the computer info a fit enough state for anyone to take it. The main drawback I have is that for some reason I am unable to copy files from my external hard drive to the c drive. For some files it...
  10. Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.