Windows 10: Unable to add a phone number to my account

Discus and support Unable to add a phone number to my account in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have been trying for at least 2 weeks now to add a phone number to my Microsoft account under Account info. First, when entering the number and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by vince.mcgowan, Nov 29, 2023.

1. Unable to add a phone number to my account

I have been trying for at least 2 weeks now to add a phone number to my Microsoft account under Account info. First, when entering the number and before I would get a code, I received the message, "Try another verification method" when I'm given no other choice. Then when I could finally get past that and given the opportunity to enter the code sent to my phone, I get the message, "Temporary problem with the service. Please try again." Temporary my a??! I search and see people having reported this back in MAY!! I have tried 3 browsers on 3 different devices and always the same problems.The ann

:)

vince.mcgowan, Nov 29, 2023
  2. Kari Win User

Microsoft account and phone number linked

Microsoft account password recovery requires two verification codes being sent using two different verification methods. Each Microsoft account has at least two verification methods, the phone number and additional email address which are asked and required when you set up a new Microsoft account with a new hotmail.com or outlook.com email or using a third party email.

When the thief who got your phone tries to recover your password, all your verification methods / security info phone numbers and email addresses will be listed for him to select one. OK, the thief naturally selects your phone number, gets the code sent as a text message, and enters it.

But, clicking Next after entering the code he needs to select another security info contact (phone / email) from the list to receive second verification code.

Password recovery is not possible with just your phone, the system is clever enough to make it impossible by requiring two codes being sent to two different phones and / or emails.

You can add as many phone numbers and email address as you wish as security info contacts at https://account.live.com/proofs/mana...&refp=security. I wholeheartedly recommend that you add at least another security email address; if you only have one phone number and one email added, those which were required when you set up the Microsoft account, and that thief got your phone, the recovery would be as impossible to you as it is to him, you both having access to just one of required two verification methods.

3. Change account phone number

Hello SeanPR11,

I am Jaspreet Singh.

Please use the steps listed here and first remove all your security information. (this will take 30 days after which you will be able to add new phone number without being required a code first)

Follow the steps under the title "Remove Security information" on this link : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-bil...

* There is no way to fast track this 30 day process.

JaspreetSingh08, Nov 29, 2023
  4. Unable to add a phone number to my account

Account Phone Number

Hi Johnny,

If you didn’t get the security code that was sent to your
    phone number
    , you may still recover your account by filling out the security questionnaire. To help you recover your account, we suggest that you follow the steps provided in this article
    when you can't sign in to your Microsoft account.
    Once you’re on the page, you may expand and proceed with the steps under the
    If you can't get a security code
    section, and then complete the process.

After completing the steps and if the issue persists, you may continue following the steps given in this article on how to
    recover your Microsoft account. Follow the given steps and provide the needed
    information to complete the process. Once you’re done, you may check if you’re able to recover your Microsoft account.

Keep us updated about your concern for additional assistance.

Joseph Ban, Nov 29, 2023
Thema:

Unable to add a phone number to my account

1. Unable to add a phone number to my account - Similar Threads - Unable add phone

2. Unable to add number to account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to add number to account: Unable to link number to this account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-add-number-to-account/2a9c7347-0d7f-4e5a-9967-7a582d706c2e
  3. Unable to add number to account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to add number to account: Unable to link number to this account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-add-number-to-account/2a9c7347-0d7f-4e5a-9967-7a582d706c2e
  4. Unable to add number to account

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Unable to add a phone number to my account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to add a phone number to my account: I have been trying for at least 2 weeks now to add a phone number to my Microsoft account under Account info. First, when entering the number and before I would get a code, I received the message, "Try another verification method" when I'm given no other choice. Then when I...
  6. CAN NOT ADD MY PHONE NUMBER TO MY ACCOUNT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CAN NOT ADD MY PHONE NUMBER TO MY ACCOUNT: Amazing how a BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY HAS NO CLUE how to add a landline phone number to my account so I can get a verification code to redeem points ... and before you reply...NO CELL HERE ...Seems like every other verification companies use allows a landline with NO...
  7. CAN NOT ADD MY PHONE NUMBER TO MY ACCOUNT

CAN NOT ADD MY PHONE NUMBER TO MY ACCOUNT: Amazing how a BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY HAS NO CLUE how to add a landline phone number to my account so I can get a verification code to redeem points ... and before you reply...NO CELL HERE ...Seems like every other verification companies use allows a landline with NO...
  8. CAN NOT ADD MY PHONE NUMBER TO MY ACCOUNT

9. Cannot add an Egypt phone number to my account.

Cannot add an Egypt phone number to my account.: I cant add my phone number to my account, when i tried from my profile it says it send a code but sends nothing tried 3 different phone number and when i try to add it from additional security it says like the country is not provided as mentioned in the screenshot. Reached...
  10. Add a new phone number to my Microsoft Account

Add a new phone number to my Microsoft Account: Hi, please tell me how to add a new phone number to my MS account. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-a-new-phone-number-to-my-microsoft-account/777d931d-d641-491b-9a9d-df4ebddfc58b