Windows 10: Two applications have elevated privileges when they should not.

Discus and support Two applications have elevated privileges when they should not. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Act and QB have elevated privileges on a laptop and the QSalesData linking software won't connect, while on a desktop that has the company files Act &... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Rafisher1, Sep 6, 2024.

1. Rafisher1 Win User

Two applications have elevated privileges when they should not.

Act and QB have elevated privileges on a laptop and the QSalesData linking software won't connect, while on a desktop that has the company files Act & QB don't have elevated privileges listed in Win 10 Task Manager Details tab Elevated column. The various run as administrator check boxes are not checked on both the laptop and the desktop.Therefore, is there another way to change the elevated to no for the ACT & QB applications in Task Manager?

:)

Rafisher1, Sep 6, 2024
  2. Gerry C J Cornell, Sep 6, 2024
  3. Never prompted to elevate privilege as administrator

OK, I tried Dinesh's tutorial. First, here's a list of accounts for my machine:

Two applications have elevated privileges when they should not. 49681d1485959894t-never-prompted-elevate-privilege-administrator-netusers.jpg

I held down Shift and rebooted, and got the WinRE splash screen. I was prompted to log in, with "Dan" my only option:

Two applications have elevated privileges when they should not. 49683d1485959894t-never-prompted-elevate-privilege-administrator-img_0811.jpg

If I clicked on "Don't see your account", I got this:

Two applications have elevated privileges when they should not. 49686d1485959894t-never-prompted-elevate-privilege-administrator-img_0810.jpg

Is it suggesting that "Dan" is an administrator account? Oh, that it were so... I went back, selected the "Dan" account, and it booted into command prompt. I then attempted the first of Dinesh's instructions:

Two applications have elevated privileges when they should not. 49687d1485959894t-never-prompted-elevate-privilege-administrator-img_0812.jpg

Hello darkness, my old friend... "Access Denied."

Dan

shortmort37, Sep 6, 2024
  4. Two applications have elevated privileges when they should not.

Scheduled tasks run with elevated privileges can't access stored Windows credentials

It seems that after Creators update scheduled tasks run with elevated privileges ('run with highest privileges' option) can't access stored Windows credentials. Is that a bug or an intentional change and is there a recommended workaround?

Here's one way to reproduce the behaviour:

• Start Credential Manger and add some Windows share credentials.
    • In a console window type 'cmdkey /list', which should list the added credentials
    • Create a task in a task manager:
      • Trigger: on user logon
      • Action: run cmd.exe
      • Tick the 'run with highest privileges' option
    • Reboot the machine and log in
    • In the console window (let's call it 'console 1') opened from the scheduled task type 'cmdkey /list'. This most likely won't display the credentials added in step 1 and properly listed in step 2. ->
      This looks like a bug
    • Now, without closing 'console 1' open another console window as an administrator (let's call it 'console 2') and type 'cmdkey /list'. This will properly list credentials added in step 1.
    • Switch to 'console 1' and type 'cmdkey /list' again. This time the credentials are listed properly, unlike in step 5. It looks like an access to Windows credentials was somehow 'unlocked' by step 6.

MarcinMrowiec, Sep 6, 2024
Thema:

Two applications have elevated privileges when they should not.

1. Two applications have elevated privileges when they should not. - Similar Threads - applications elevated privileges

2. Two applications have elevated privileges when they should not.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two applications have elevated privileges when they should not.: Act and QB have elevated privileges on a laptop and the QSalesData linking software won't connect, while on a desktop that has the company files Act & QB don't have elevated privileges listed in Win 10 Task Manager Details tab Elevated column. The various run as administrator...
  3. Two applications have elevated privileges when they should not.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Two applications have elevated privileges when they should not.: Act and QB have elevated privileges on a laptop and the QSalesData linking software won't connect, while on a desktop that has the company files Act & QB don't have elevated privileges listed in Win 10 Task Manager Details tab Elevated column. The various run as administrator...
  4. Windows Privilege Elevation Management

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Privilege Elevation Management: Hello, I am configuring our privilege manager for our workstations at my business. I am having a debate on whether I want to allow ANYTHING to elevate from "trusted" directories i.e. Program Files and Windows directories that are owned by elevated users or make dozens of...
  5. Elevated Privilege

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Elevated Privilege: All-- It there a way to permanenly mark an executable (EXE, DLL, BAT, etc) to always run witth elevated privileges? My nightly file cleanup BAT launches BCDEdit (to reboot in Safe Mode) which requires elevated status. Thanks in advance for any help/direction, Randy Reist,...
  6. Elevated Privilege

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Elevated Privilege: All-- It there a way to permanenly mark an executable (EXE, DLL, BAT, etc) to always run witth elevated privileges? My nightly file cleanup BAT launches BCDEdit (to reboot in Safe Mode) which requires elevated status. Thanks in advance for any help/direction, Randy Reist,...
  7. Keystrokes lagging, unless launch applications with elevated privileges

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Keystrokes lagging, unless launch applications with elevated privileges: Hi I have a new Windows 10 laptop (Lenovo Ideapad 720), logging in with an MS account (same account as my old Windows 10 laptop) I've run all the windows updates, and run a BIOS update from the manufacturer, and throughout that process I've had a massive lag on...
  8. Installing with Elevated Privileges?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Installing with Elevated Privileges?: I m running my laptop as a standalone system and I also have two accounts. One for Admin and for Local Standard User. My question is, even If I had set the UAC prompting level too the maximum level, will I still need to set the following Group Policy as from the image? 114552
  9. Never prompted to elevate privilege as administrator

Never prompted to elevate privilege as administrator: I recently upgraded my W8.1 system to W10. I'm assuming my administrator password is the same as it was - I don't recall being prompted to change and save it - but, I'm never prompted for it. Instead, everytime I try to do something that requires administrative privilege...
  10. Should my Microsoft Account have administrator privileges?

Should my Microsoft Account have administrator privileges?: I just finished reinstalling Windows 10 (Creator version) and decided to have the installation process create a Microsoft Account instead of bypassing that step like I have on other laptops in the past and creating a local account later. After the install I went to Accounts...