Windows 10: Trying to move files and asks for administrator, change the ownership of the file is disabled

Discus and support Trying to move files and asks for administrator, change the ownership of the file is disabled in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Trying to move files and asks for administrator, change the ownership of the file is disabled... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mahesh Vangari, Jul 5, 2024.

1. Trying to move files and asks for administrator, change the ownership of the file is disabled

Trying to move files and asks for administrator, change the ownership of the file is disabled

:)

Mahesh Vangari, Jul 5, 2024

2. Trying to move files and asks for administrator

Hi Paul,

This is normal when when moving files that may affect some applications or prevent the system from working properly, like moving files in and out of
    Program Files folder. To prevent this from happening, you can follow these steps:

Step 1: Take the ownership of a file or folder

1. Open Windows Explorer and locate the file/folder, right-click on it and select
      Properties.
    2. Go to Security and click Advanced, go to Owner tab and click Edit. If you want to change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click
      Other user and groups, and type the name of the user or group in
      Enter the object name to select, then click
      OK
      . If you want to change a user or a group that is listed, click new owner in the Change owner
      to box. If you want to change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select
      Replace owner on subcontainers and objects box.

Step 2: Turn off UAC or User Account Control

1. Press Windows + X
    2. and click Control Panel.Select Large icons that are on the right panel under View.
    3. Locate and click on User Account, click Change User Accounts Control Settings.
    4. Change to Never notify.
    5. Once you complete the process, change the slider to Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer.

Step 3: Enable the built-in administrator account

1. Press Windows + X and click Command Prompt (Admin).
    2. Type net user administrator /active:yes and hit Enter.

After this, you can continue to try copy files without admin permission or admin rights without any problems by then.

Let us know how it goes.

Adrianne Buc, Jul 5, 2024
  3. You'll need to provide administrator permission to (copy this file, delete this file, ...)

Thanks for reaching out! I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you.

The issue you're facing is related to file permissions and User Account Control (UAC) on your Windows operating system. When you or your friend created a backup of your files, the ownership and permissions of those files might have been changed, causing the system to prompt for administrator permission to access or modify them.

Here are a few potential solutions to resolve this issue:

1. Take Ownership of the Files and Folders

You can take ownership of the files and folders, which will grant you full control over them. Follow these steps:

1. Open File Explorer and navigate to the folder containing the files or folders you want to take ownership of.
    2. Right-click on the folder and select "Properties."
    3. In the Properties window, click the "Security" tab.
    4. Click the "Advanced" button.
    5. In the Advanced Security Settings window, click the "Owner" tab.
    6. Click the "Edit" button.
    7. In the new window, click the "Add" button.
    8. Type your username and click "OK."
    9. Check the box next to your username and select the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" option.
    10. Click "Apply" and then "OK" to close all the windows.
    After taking ownership, you should be able to access and modify the files without prompts for administrator permission.

2. Disable User Account Control (UAC)

Disabling UAC will prevent the system from prompting for administrator permission, but it's generally not recommended as it can reduce the security of your system. If you decide to go this route, follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog.
    2. Type "useraccountcontrolsettings" and press Enter.
    3. In the User Account Control Settings window, move the slider to the "Never Notify" position.
    4. Click "OK" to apply the changes.
    After disabling UAC, you should be able to access and modify files without prompts for administrator permission.

3. Run Applications as Administrator

If you only need administrator permissions for specific applications like Adobe, you can try running those applications as an administrator. Right-click on the application's shortcut or executable file, and select "Run as administrator."

Recommendation

For most users, taking ownership of the files and folders (Solution 1) is the recommended approach as it addresses the issue without compromising system security. Disabling UAC (Solution 2) should be considered a last resort due to potential security risks.

Please do let me know if the method I suggested works for you or if you need further assistance.

Munkhbayar B., Jul 5, 2024
  4. xBruce88x Win User

Trying to move files and asks for administrator, change the ownership of the file is disabled

file permissions/ownership troubles

a while back my main user account got corrupted somehow and the only way to get to my files was to take ownership of them in my other admin account. but now i'm stuck with having to retake ownership of these files every time i try to access it from another computer or user account, which makes sharing multimedia to my xbox 360 impossible. is there a way to just remove all of these permission settings back to normal? its REALLY getting frustrating with the access denied crap, its even interfering with some .msi install files. *Mad Trying to move files and asks for administrator, change the ownership of the file is disabled :mad:*Cry :cry:

this also puts my new computer build on hold since i need to transfer the files but i'm stuck with the ownership crap

edit: btw its on windows xp pro sp3

xBruce88x, Jul 5, 2024
Thema:

1. Trying to move files and asks for administrator, change the ownership of the file is disabled - Similar Threads - Trying move files

2. Trying to move files and asks for administrator, change the ownership of the file is disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to move files and asks for administrator, change the ownership of the file is disabled: Trying to move files and asks for administrator, change the ownership of the file is disabled https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-move-files-and-asks-for-administrator/595f9c5a-3410-430b-b074-cb42049886da
  3. I can't change file ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't change file ownership: Whenever I try to change file ownership for a file it doesn't let me. Changing permissions is also not possible.What I would like to do is change the file permissions, but whenever i do it asks me to provide administrator permission, even though i am the administrator and all...
  4. I can't change file ownership

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't change file ownership: Whenever I try to change file ownership for a file it doesn't let me. Changing permissions is also not possible.What I would like to do is change the file permissions, but whenever i do it asks me to provide administrator permission, even though i am the administrator and all...
  5. cant change the file folder ownership

cant change the file folder ownership: I cannot save my games to my D drive, my D drive has 400Gb available storage, is there a workaround https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-the-file-folder-ownership/bcea7aaa-b63e-43a5-a61f-4a760d7f4fec
  6. cant change the file folder ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant change the file folder ownership: I cannot save my games to my D drive, my D drive has 400Gb available storage, is there a workaround https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-the-file-folder-ownership/bcea7aaa-b63e-43a5-a61f-4a760d7f4fec
  7. cant change the file folder ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. File ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File ownership: Hi,I run a small company with a headcount of less than 30. We are using a shared network drive to upload and share documents on file explorer. I've managed to pull together a list detailing each document saved on the drive along with each document's file owner using the...
  9. Taking ownership of a file as the administrator

Taking ownership of a file as the administrator: I am moving files from my old computer to my new computer and Adobe files will not copy. They need administrator permission. Currently the only person allowed on the new computer is the administrator. What to I have to do to change the ownership in Properties>Security?...
  10. Is it harmful to change ownership of a file?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it harmful to change ownership of a file?: Hello, I have a question regarding taking ownership of an executable that is in the WindowsApps folder in Program Files. I want to take ownership of it so I can make it launch at startup every time I boot up Windows. That's because for some reason, putting a shortcut of...