Windows 10: Trying to install Windows on Linux system not detecting any drives.

Discus and support Trying to install Windows on Linux system not detecting any drives. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi. I have 3 drives in my system, an nvme and two SSDs. I have linux installed on the nvme and an ssd. I want to install windows on the other SSD.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MrPenguinDude99, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Trying to install Windows on Linux system not detecting any drives.

Hi. I have 3 drives in my system, an nvme and two SSDs. I have linux installed on the nvme and an ssd. I want to install windows on the other SSD. However, when I run the windows installer on a usb it doesn't detect any drives. When I run diskpart, it shows the disk I want to install windows on to. That disk also shows up in BIOS and all my linux systems. I used diskpart to format it as gpt and clean it. Still not being detected. My motherboard is an Asrock b450m steel legend, I tried using the provided drivers, no luck. Is there something I have to do to get windows to detect my SSD, becaus

:)

MrPenguinDude99, Dec 7, 2022
  2. little cat, Dec 7, 2022
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 7, 2022
  4. Amit_Sun Win User

Trying to install Windows on Linux system not detecting any drives.

Error: "Scan the drive now and fix it", Linux named folder with special characters are not accessable in Windows 10 using external hard drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

May I know the file partition format type of your external drive?

As Linux and Windows they work on different file system, when the files are migrated from Linux base system to Windows OS, most of the files that are not supported could be hidden, I suggest you to follow the steps below to further
    narrow down the root cause of the issue.

Method 1: Check the hard drive in different computer.

I suggest you to check the hard drive in a different computer and check if you still face the issue.

If the same issue persists on different computer then the issue might be with the hard drive itself, I suggest you to contact the local tech and get the drive checked.

Method 2: Run Check disk.

Run the check disk command to repair the hard drive and fix the bad sectors.

1. Search for Command Prompt on the start menu.
    2. Right click and Run as Administrator.
    3. Type in chkdsk C: /f /r /x where
      C: represents the drive letter for the hard drive change the drive letter according to your system and hit enter.

Disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive then chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might
    be lost.

Method 3: Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems.

I suggest you refer to this article
    Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems

download and run the troubleshooter to fix the issue with USB detection.

Method 4: uninstall USB drivers.

1. If you still face the issue and the hard drives throws the error again, you can refer the article

USB devices may stop functioning correctly when multiple devices connected to the same USB hub go into selective suspend
      and check if this helps you.
    2. Reboot the computer once after the steps are completed.

Method 5: Backup your data on Linux OS.

As the drive is compatible with Linux system, I suggest you to backup your data on any Linux computer first.

Method 6: Check for hidden files.

Some Linux files that are not readable by Windows are sometimes hidden in Windows, you can follow the below steps to unhide them and access the data.

1. If you are able to read the hard drive, I suggest you to navigate to the drive partition and

unhide all the hidden folder
      and check.
    2. If you are still not able to see the data, uncheck
      Hide protected operating system files.
    3. After you have found your files, I suggest you to undo the changes.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Dec 7, 2022
Thema:

Trying to install Windows on Linux system not detecting any drives.

1. Trying to install Windows on Linux system not detecting any drives. - Similar Threads - Trying install Linux

2. Windows 11 installation media not detecting any drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 installation media not detecting any drive: Hi, I already had Windows 11 installed. I decided to wipe out the all ssd drive and do a fresh installation. I created, on each of two different USB drives, a Windows installation media. Both don't find any drive during installation. It's not a problem of a malfunctioning SSD...
  3. Windows 11 installation media not detecting any drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 installation media not detecting any drive: Hi, I already had Windows 11 installed. I decided to wipe out the all ssd drive and do a fresh installation. I created, on each of two different USB drives, a Windows installation media. Both don't find any drive during installation. It's not a problem of a malfunctioning SSD...
  4. Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL will not install any Linux Distro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL will not install any Linux Distro: I am using a Windows PC with the following specs:Edition: Windows 11 HomeVersion: 23H2OS build: 22631.2338Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 100.22674.1000.0 Processor: IntelR CoreTM i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHzInstalled RAM: 16.0 GBSystem type: 64-bit operating...
  5. Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL will not install any Linux Distro

Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL will not install any Linux Distro: I am using a Windows PC with the following specs:Edition: Windows 11 HomeVersion: 23H2OS build: 22631.2338Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 100.22674.1000.0 Processor: IntelR CoreTM i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHzInstalled RAM: 16.0 GBSystem type: 64-bit operating...
  6. Trying to install Windows on Linux system not detecting any drives.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to install Windows on Linux system not detecting any drives.: Hi. I have 3 drives in my system, an nvme and two SSDs. I have linux installed on the nvme and an ssd. I want to install windows on the other SSD. However, when I run the windows installer on a usb it doesn't detect any drives. When I run diskpart, it shows the disk I want to...
  7. Trying to install Windows on Linux system not detecting any drives.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to install Windows on Linux system not detecting any drives.: Hi. I have 3 drives in my system, an nvme and two SSDs. I have linux installed on the nvme and an ssd. I want to install windows on the other SSD. However, when I run the windows installer on a usb it doesn't detect any drives. When I run diskpart, it shows the disk I want to...
  8. Trying to install Kali Linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to install Kali Linux: I'm in cyber security. I just started. I'm trying to install Kali Linux it seemed like it was working and then it seems as though there was a problem. WHat does this mean? I probably didn't put it in the correct sub-topics I'm not sure which sub-topic it goes....
  9. Trying to install Kali Linux

Trying to install Kali Linux: I'm in cyber security. I just started. I'm trying to install Kali Linux it seemed like it was working and then it seems as though there was a problem. WHat does this mean? I probably didn't put it in the correct sub-topics I'm not sure which sub-topic it goes....
  10. Trying to uninstall "DVD Drive F: Install Kali Linux

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to uninstall "DVD Drive F: Install Kali Linux: Hello I was trying to download kali linux but messed up and installed linux first before the subsystem. I did not go through with the install process but kali linux made a F: disk drive in my computer. I really want to get the kali linux off of my computer but it won't let me...