Windows 10: Transfering windows 10 product key to new PC device

Discus and support Transfering windows 10 product key to new PC device in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi,I recently got an entirely new PC and have been trying to transfer my license from my old PC to the new one. I have tried countless methods... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ConnarB, May 13, 2024.

1. ConnarB Win User

Transfering windows 10 product key to new PC device

Hi,I recently got an entirely new PC and have been trying to transfer my license from my old PC to the new one. I have tried countless methods recommended on other forums but am still getting nowhere. I have checked to ensure I have a retail key and that when activated on my old PC it states it is a digital licence linked to my Microsoft account and used slmgr.vbs /ato and /dli to obtain the system information and product key. I am using windows 10 home edition core. I have ensured my emails are matching for my windows login under settings>accounts>your info as I do have two Microsoft a

:)

ConnarB, May 13, 2024

2. Transfer of product key

Hello.

Whoever told you that you need to "deactivate" is wrong. Go here for actual steps on transfering the product key over:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windo...

Simply put, you just need to transfer the license over. you do not need to deactivate first.

For more info, i suggest calling MS support about activation issues.

Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product
    advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Zackary Vanosdol, May 13, 2024
  3. dalchina Win User
    Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?

Hi, if your original license was OEM, it cannot be transferred to a new PC.

If it was retail, it can be- as many times as you like. Which was yours? That's the - er - key question.

There is no product key for Win 10 in the same way as for previous editions.

I'm not quite sure if you're referring to a completely different PC, or simply reinstalling Windows on the same PC. If the latter, activation should be automatic. It may be harder if you're making significant hardware changes.

If you have a retail key, please see:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10

Activate Windows 10

Finally, if you're confident that you have the right to Win 10 on your target PC and still have difficulty, you can contact your regional MS activation centre.

dalchina, May 13, 2024
  4. Rob4642 Win User

Need help with transferring Windows 10 to new PC

*Nevermind I figured it out. I just bought a license key for $29.00. Thx though.
    So my friend asked me to build him a new computer for work. The last one I built him was during the windows 7-10 upgrade grace period. I used to load windows 7, use windows loader to put in a product key, activate it, then upgrade to windows 10. Now that the grace period is over, and I'm working with new hardware, I was wondering if it is possible to install windows 10 from an already functioning computer that operated on a sata SSD to a new computer with an m.2 nvme SSD, using just the product key from the current windows 10 off of his computer. I use a program that grabs the product key called ProduKey.
    Should I do a fresh install of windows 10 using his key after deactivating it from his current PC , instead of cloning drives correct? It would be nice not to have to pay microsoft $200 for windows 10 if he already has it and plans on not using his old pc anymore.

Rob4642, May 13, 2024
Thema:

1. Transfering windows 10 product key to new PC device - Similar Threads - Transfering product key

2. Transfering windows 10 product key to new PC device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfering windows 10 product key to new PC device: Hi,I recently got an entirely new PC and have been trying to transfer my license from my old PC to the new one. I have tried countless methods recommended on other forums but am still getting nowhere. I have checked to ensure I have a retail key and that when activated on my...
  3. Transfering windows 10 product key to new PC device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfering windows 10 product key to new PC device: Hi,I recently got an entirely new PC and have been trying to transfer my license from my old PC to the new one. I have tried countless methods recommended on other forums but am still getting nowhere. I have checked to ensure I have a retail key and that when activated on my...
  4. New computer and transferring product keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New computer and transferring product keys: [ATTACH] (English is not my main language, sorry for any mistakes) Hi everyone! I have a few questions about Product Keys and licensing on Windows. I'm looking to buy a new laptop that comes with a linux distro instead of windows, I don't actually use linux so I'm going...
  5. Product Key Transfer Activate/Re-activate Windows 10 to New Device

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Product Key Transfer Activate/Re-activate Windows 10 to New Device: Background/Actions Taken on Previous Device: - I have confirmed my Product Key is on RETAIL, thus it is transferrable - I also have tried run though the Troubleshoot process but no good result come out - I have tried the process of Deactivating through CMD as Admin with...
  6. Transferring product keys to new computers

Transferring product keys to new computers: I have a windows 7 key from a laptop and a windows 10 key from a refurbished desktop. I was wondering if I could transfer the keys to two new desktops and would I be able to activate windows 10 with them? If it is possible how would I do so? Thank You [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  7. Windows 10 transfer Product Key to new user.

Windows 10 transfer Product Key to new user.: I recently purchased a PC OEM version from Dell. I have an older computer that I am gifting to my stepdaughter. This computer was home built so I did purchase a product key for it. The problems I am facing are: 1. Can I reformat and user her email address to activate it? 2....
  8. Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer

Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer: Hi, I'm currently building a gaming desktop, and I don't want to have to buy a new Windows 10 product key as they are quite expensive. I'm wondering if I can transfer the key from my current laptop. I've used a software called ProduKey which found the key from my computer for...
  9. Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?: I have decided to build a new PC instead of trying to fix the unsupported UEFI Disk problem I've had for the last year with my current PC. I have downloaded the Windows 10 Media and installed it to a USB drive. When the install routine asks for my product key, I would like to...
  10. Digital product key transfer - Broken PC to new Pc

Digital product key transfer - Broken PC to new Pc: Hi, I had a digital product key on my old pc - this is still linked to my Microsoft account. I was wondering if there is any way to move over my old windows product key to my new pc when i don't have access to the old PC any more. Both of the pc's are linked to my...