Windows 10: Transfer Directories from WXP to W10 by network partially working

Discus and support Transfer Directories from WXP to W10 by network partially working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have connected a Win XP and Win 10 on my network. I am transferring directories from the Win XP to Win 10 by dragging them to Win 10. The main... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MapM, Jan 22, 2017.

1. MapM Win User

Transfer Directories from WXP to W10 by network partially working

I have connected a Win XP and Win 10 on my network.

I am transferring directories from the Win XP to Win 10 by dragging them to Win 10.

The main directory and files in the main directory are transferred, however, sub-directories and files in them seems to be transferred but then the sub-directories are empty.

The same happens if I copy the filers from the WXP to an external USB HHD. The files in the USB HHD are fine but they do not get transferred to the W10 computer..

What is the problem and how can I fix it?

Thank you for any help.

:)

2. How Network of w10 & wXP

Hello all:

I have combined 2-laptop w10 together as a small home network. I still have another

wXP with much data in it. Could my home network includes the wXP? --Zhao

HonglinZhao, Jan 22, 2017
  3. Cyber_Defend_Team, Jan 22, 2017
  4. RolandJS Win User

You did SHARE the appropriate sending and receiving directories, correct?

RolandJS, Jan 22, 2017
  5. MapM Win User
    Yes, I shared all the drive G:

6. Bree New Member
    Permissions, probably. The permissions on the files in the HDD (or those seen on the share) would have been set by the XP machine that copied the file to the HDD, but they relate to accounts on the XP machine, not the W10 one. From XP you can see all the files have been copied, but from W10 you may only have permissions to list the top level folders, not their contents.

Try connecting the HDD to the W10 machine again, but before trying to copy the files, take ownership of the folder you want to copy and grant yourself full access.

7. MapM Win User
    Thank you. I tried a number of things and I reset the link. It seems to be working now.

MapM, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Transfer Directories from WXP to W10 by network partially working - Similar Threads - Transfer Directories WXP

2. HyperV+wXP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HyperV+wXP: Anyone here tried wXP in HyperV and no LAN how did you add the LAN driver to the VM? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hypervwxp/3ad817b5-d0f8-447e-a255-f647aba37b8c
  3. HyperV+wXP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HyperV+wXP: Anyone here tried wXP in HyperV and no LAN how did you add the LAN driver to the VM? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hypervwxp/3ad817b5-d0f8-447e-a255-f647aba37b8c
  4. WXP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WXP: Can we still change the Windows XP language after installation it is not in English it was installed in a different language I want the whole OS to be in the English language is that still possible?...
  5. WXP

WXP: Can we still change the Windows XP language after installation it is not in English it was installed in a different language I want the whole OS to be in the English language is that still possible?...
  6. transferring programs etal from W10 to w11

transferring programs etal from W10 to w11: I've purchased a new computer with W11 OS. My existing Computer is W10 OS. Is there a procedure that I can use to transfer my applications e.g. FireFox, Chrome, Mcafee, etc completely instead of reinstalling them in the new computer?...
  7. transfer W10 pro from a broken PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer W10 pro from a broken PC: Hello, my PC failed to restart in the process of a windows update. I got a black screen. no bios. so rather than faff around I have bought another PC. I have the OS drive from my old PC and all info on that can be accessed. Is there any way that I can transfer my w10...
  8. Transferring w10 from one pc to another?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring w10 from one pc to another?: I have a Digital license (retail, not OEM) of w10 pro on an old laptop that I no longer use. I want to remove this license from the laptop and put it onto a completely new PC. Completely different components. I've read all the articles on this I could find, however I hadn't...
  9. Program Files Directory W10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program Files Directory W10: Hello The C Dr. on my one year old Dell laptop is too full to download new programs. The laptop is only used for my work as a musician but the programs I do use are quite large. I followed instructions from another thread in this forum to change the program files...
  10. Transfer Documents Directory

in Windows 10 Support
    Transfer Documents Directory: Why won't my "My Documents Directory" in Windows 7 transfer to the start menu ? At the moment I'm running off a disk. This what I used to have to do back in the old DOS days. I guess there's been no Improvement since then. 93510